Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Anyone else here?
F840A16C-0302-4588-A0A3-1CF731BD2208.jpeg

Did some 3/4 run-throughs just to warm up, then 10 mins of practicing low 25 m passes to a stationary target. Now in squads again. In front of me is an interesting exercise where there is an elastic tied to two bins and they have to get down low and side-on to collect a ground ball at pace going under the elastic.

"Don't rush, focus on the technical aspects" says one coach.

EF3CE678-5DB3-4DF5-83E1-F182CF4F0C0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Did some 3/4 run through just to warm up, then 10 mins of practicing low 25 m passes to a stationary target. Now in squads again. In front of me is an interesting exercise where there is an elastic tied to two bins and they have get down low to collect a ground ball at pace going under the elastic.

View attachment 1290306
Now I expect to see no fumbles below the knees this season :stern look

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Did some 3/4 run through just to warm up, then 10 mins of practicing low 25 m passes to a stationary target. Now in squads again. In front of me is an interesting exercise where there is an elastic tied to two bins and they have get down low to collect a ground ball at pace going under the elastic.

View attachment 1290306

At least if they don't make it at football they'll be match fit for Limbo.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 1290306
Yeah I've seen that one before, or at least something similar.

Ok, I had to leave after that. The last thing they were doing before I left was a drill where there are 2 defending 3 targets and a kicker has to pick out a pass. Looked like a good 'real life' kind of exercise.
  • Perez was out there and looked sublime. Oh my god if he comes good... His kicking was just about the best of them, everything perfectly weighted. No bib, no indication of doing less than the others.
  • The rumour is that Thomas had covid but I didn't get any more info on that today.
  • Jy looks like he always does, smooth as.
  • If that's Paddy Walker, he's a good size. It looked like 'third tall' size to me, with a good bit of bulk on.
  • Hall was there and looking really focused. There were a couple of players that just looked really switched on in the few seconds when they were on the spot.
  • Comben was there in full training and moving fine.
  • The clock was out and in full use.
  • There was a photographer there and one of the trainers had a drone overhead. I imagine there will be some more pictures - better than mine - showing up on the website later.
Sorry for the crappy photo quality, the sun was in the wrong place but if I went round the other side it would have been too far away.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ok, I had to leave after that. The last thing they were doing before I left was a drill where there are 2 defending 3 targets and a kicker has to pick out a pass. Looked like a good 'real life' kind of exercise.
  • Perez was out there and looked sublime. Oh my god if he comes good... His kicking was just about the best of them, everything perfectly weighted. No bib, no indication of doing less than the others.
  • The rumour is that Thomas had covid, but I didn't get any more info on that today.
  • If that's Paddy Walker, he's a good size. It looked like 'third tall' size to me, with a good bit of bulk on.
  • Hall was there and looking really focused. There were a couple there that just looked really switched on in the few seconds when they were doing their thing.
Sorry for the crappy photo quality, the sun was in the wrong place but it I went round the other side it would have been too far away.

Were the new boys there and participating?

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
  • The rumour is that Thomas had covid, but I didn't get any more info on that today.
  • Hall was there and looking really focused. There were a couple there that just looked really switched on in the few seconds when they were doing their thing.
Sorry for the crappy photo quality, the sun was in the wrong place but it I went round the other side it would have been too far away.
Thanks for posting bud.
Appreciate the effort.
Training info is like crack.
I always want more!!

Were the new boys there and participating?
Yes, all 5 of them were there. Goater is "Goat".

I forgot to mention one exercise they did right in front of me, where I really got to see their kicking. The idea is for a leading forward to wait, then run on to a kick to the side of them, as if a forward is leading sideways from 20m out. The emphasis was on weighting the kick, and to kick *before* the lead, so the leader could time and judge their run. Wiphi messed up one kick, so did LDU, so did Bergman. This is the drill in which Perez stood out. They did ok overall, but it was interesting how much harder it was for them to do these kicks than the ones straight to the stationary target (which they got 95% on target) as the trajectory matters for the timing of the lead and there's a lot less ability for the marker to adjust if the height is wrong. I guess that's why it's better to lead at the football...

Last edited:
Back