Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Hayden played his first game as a tagger on Pendlebury and wiped the oval with him. l think trialing him as a tagger would be best for him and for North.

Attachments

• Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    72.3 KB · Views: 116

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get that

on Monday the media guy was out there taking pics and flew a drone. It’s just something that gets supporters excited and to actually see how players are loving instead of just going of words that someone wrote. like the pre game Insta stories
The drone is there taking footage for the player/transition review. I think I've very rarely seen it come up in the media team player videos.

The drone is there taking footage for the player/transition review. I think I've very rarely seen it come up in the media team player videos.
Nah they take the their review videos up in one of the media rooms at the club.

rooboy335

All Australian
Dec 15, 2005
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Went again today :$ but do agree with Ligma in that I was hoping to get a bit more from the media team either Monday or yesterday.

I'm sure we'll get something soon as there's been a drone flying around and photos being taken, and I know they've probably been busy recently with AFLW stuff but yeah, would be nice for everyone to see actual footage rather than have to read reports and try to visualise.

I'll try and keep this report brief as really, I probably should be doing other things with my life rather than just watching the boys train and coming home to report every second day!

From Monday's absentees, players that I saw back at training today were:

LDU, Comben, Coleman-Jones and Perez

Absentees again were:

Anderson, Cunnington, Stephenson, JHF, Ziebell, LMac, Polec, Turner, Archer and Hall. Possibly a few others which are mentioned individually below.

Will try to keep the reports on players to a sentence or two (we'll see how that goes haha):

Mahoney - Consistent is Marns. Had a nice moment I can recall where he read the play well inside fwd 50, intercepted the ball as it was coming out and then ran ahead to drill the goal. Drew some applause.

Corr - Participated in the session early and was involved in a full ground uncontested drill with the main group and then went back to join the rehab group (consisting of Bonar, Spicer, P. Walker) who were off to the side for most if not all of the session doing their own thing.

Taylor - Not much to report, don't recall seeing him all that much unfortunately.

Scott - Similar to Mahoney, is just consistent and has completed everything so far. Also had a nice moment in a drill where a cluster of players were stationed a bit forward of the wing, outside 50. They would receive a highball coming out of their attacking 50 and would have to win the ball back and methodically work the ball around until they could release a player to hit up a forward. The forwards also outnumbered the defenders 3 to 2. Bailey's moment was where he ended up being the release player and was tucked along the boundary just outside f50 and managed to screw the ball around across his body to hit a forward about 40m out directly in front. Was noticeable as for some reason, others had trouble either executing or making the right decision in this drill.

Simpkin - So vocal/supportive, fit, clinical with his kicking at times, what more can I say? Looks like he loves being out there with the boys.

Bosenavulagi - Actually don't recall seeing Atu out there today.

Bonar - With the rehab group but participated in some of the drills early. Showed nice anticipation in one of the drills where 2 defenders would stand in a triangle of 3 players and try to pick off the pass. Bonar picked the pass off on multiple occasions. Had his left hand bandaged though I think.

Young - Not much else to add with Young, was consistent in what he's shown previously (I should lump Mahoney, Scott, Taylor Young and maybe a few others in a group when I do these).

Greenwood - There were a few times where he was in open space running into goal and it made me notice that he has a funny running gait, sort of waddles a bit, and isn't fast haha. Was good again though in everything he did, and like Jy, was vocal out there supporting the boys.

J. Walker - Another who I can't recall seeing much of. Not sure if my memory is fading or if it's just full.

Larkey - Was good in the moments I had visual of him, unfortunately another who I don't have much info on today.

Goldy - Moving well and had some good moments streaming into goal and nailing them on the run from about 40m out, and another in one of the drills I mentioned earlier where he was able to spot up a forward with a pin-point pass. Will play an important role this year.

McKay - Shanked a kick in one of the drills coming out of defensive 50 which is unlike him, but was good for the most part from what I saw.

Powell - Also missed a couple of passes in one of the drills, but again was solid if unspectacular with everything else he did for the rest of the session. What I will say though is Powell could make a decent player on just his desire to get better and his drive/determination alone. Was the last to leave training today by an absolute mile. He has been the last or second last to leave training every single time I've been to watch.

Had about 20 shots on goal as the players started heading off, and once everyone was gone (bar two coaches who were feeding him the ball back) he had about another 20-25 shots on goal. So probably an extra 15-20 minutes out there after everyone else was inside. I was thinking to myself "come on Tom, you've gotta go so that I can go at some point". Was taking set shots from all angles about 40-50m out, and had a few running shots from in front about 45-50m out. Either nailed or got close with most of the shots, hit the post a few times. Strikes me as maybe like a Sidebottom type up forward (or maybe just in general?). Let me know if you think I'm way off with that one haha. Also seemed to clear 50m on numerous occasions but may have been assisted by a breeze.

Okay so this one was longer that a sentence, but when you add the natural talent to the mentality that Powell is displaying, all things going well he should be an absolute elite player. Cannot believe we got him with our second pick in that draft. I was reminded of Victoria Amat Curam watching him stay out there as I think he represents this in spades.

Curtis - Much better disposal wise today than any other time I've seen him. Still had the odd miscue, but was able to string together plenty of nice passes and shots on goal today. Drew some applause from the coaches multiple times with his ability to hit the perfect corridor kick. I think in-game, there'll be times where PC shanks a kick, and then the next disposal will be a miraculous goal 40m out along the boundary with no angle to speak of. Also showed very soft hands on occasion, taking a couple of marks on the lead at full tilt, hands out in front. Very interesting and exciting prospect.

Thomas - Is more serious than just the happy-go-lucky larrikin persona he sort of gives off. Plenty of times he would question the coaches on his positioning, clarifying the objective of certain drills, and instructing players on what they should've done after a failed play. Looked good again out there. Along with Powell, made the "keepings off" triangle drill look easy with his kicking. They couldn't get it off him.

Phillips - Didn't see Phillips at all today.

Goater - I still find it hard to spot him amongst Bergman and Edwards at times, but he's another exciting prospect just with his athleticism. Was buzzing around today and even though he grubbed a kick trying to hit a forward in one of the drills, was still applauded by one of the coaches for moving it on quickly and choosing the right option.

Edwards - Was getting A LOT of instruction and attention from one of the coaches (I reckon Younnie?) on positioning and applying forward pressure in one of the drills. Was also called out by Younnie for leading far too wide when the ball was coming through the corridor, as there would've been very little chance he would be used in that position. Younnie was fair though and gave him a few thumbs up when he was happy with the pressure Jacob provided.

P. Walker - With the rehab group still I believe, if it was him he was always on the far side to where I was so unfortunately didn't get to see much of him.

Bergman - Not too much to report on Miller today.

Ford - Ditto with Ford, apologies!

Lazzaro - Hit some absolutely beautiful well-weighted kicks just over opposition hands in one of the drills that drew a bit of applause. Probably said it before but does everything to a consistently good level.

Spicer - Rehab group.

Hayden - Same deal with Kyron although he was better today with disposal. Given the situation with Jed, could be the perfect time to trial him in the middle I reckon to see how he goes.

Xerri - Hit some nice passes while on the move, and also missed a couple. But my impressions of his disposal and movement have improved over this preseason. Will be interesting to see how his year pans out.

McGuinness - Yep did okay today. Showed some great kicking coming out of defence a couple of times during some of the more difficult drills. Some nice switch/transition kicks.

Zurhaar - Running laps today. Hope it's just load management?

Cooper Harvey - Whilst most players out there are quite vocal and some even more so, Cooper currently appears to be the opposite in that he's a bit more quiet and reserved. It may just be because he's the youngest and is still getting to know everybody, but just thought I'd note it down. Still holds his own in the drills and does well for someone yet to be drafted as he's already a good size.

Comben - So much potential and another who looked good out there but how can he not when he moves and kicks the way he does. At least 10+ games please! Preferably way more.

Coleman-Jones - Saw him early and then didn't recall seeing much of him throughout the drills. Not sure where he was but maybe I just missed seeing him.

LDU - A bit rusty at times with his kicking, missed a couple of straight forward shots running into goal, but it was great to spot him out there! Also at times looked a bit spent when others appeared fine. In my opinion this is the only thing holding him back. Get that cardio up and everything else will fall into place.

Perez - Joined the main group and he was probably one of the most impressive today for me. Moving beautifully, and along with McGuinness in the backline, he hit some difficult kicks either switching play or coming out of D50 like it was nothing. I would pick him ahead of McGuinness though if they were competing for a spot. Just appears to be a better athlete and also seems to have a harder edge.

Okay that's it from me! Any questions just let me know :)

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Went again today :$ but do agree with Ligma in that I was hoping to get a bit more from the media team either Monday or yesterday.

I'm sure we'll get something soon as there's been a drone flying around and photos being taken, and I know they've probably been busy recently with AFLW stuff but yeah, would be nice for everyone to see actual footage rather than have to read reports and try to visualise.

I'll try and keep this report brief as really, I probably should be doing other things with my life rather than just watching the boys train and coming home to report every second day!

Absentees again were:

Anderson, Cunnington, Stephenson, JHF, Ziebell, LMac, Polec, Turner, Archer and Hall. Possibly a few others which are mentioned individually below.

Will try to keep the reports on players to a sentence or two (we'll see how that goes haha):

Mahoney - Consistent is Marns. Had a nice moment I can recall where he read the play well inside fwd 50, intercepted the ball as it was coming out and then ran ahead to drill the goal. Drew some applause.

Corr - Participated in the session early and was involved in a full ground uncontested drill with the main group and then went back to join the rehab group (consisting of Bonar, Spicer, P. Walker) who were off to the side for most if not all of the session doing their own thing.

Taylor - Not much to report, don't recall seeing him all that much unfortunately.

Scott - Similar to Mahoney, is just consistent and has completed everything so far. Also had a nice moment in a drill where a cluster of players were stationed a bit forward of the wing, outside 50. They would receive a highball coming out of their attacking 50 and would have to win the ball back and methodically work the ball around until they could release a player to hit up a forward. The forwards also outnumbered the defenders 3 to 2. Bailey's moment was where he ended up being the release player and was tucked along the boundary just outside f50 and managed to screw the ball around across his body to hit a forward about 40m out directly in front. Was noticeable as for some reason, others had trouble either executing or making the right decision in this drill.

Simpkin - So vocal/supportive, fit, clinical with his kicking at times, what more can I say? Looks like he loves being out there with the boys.

Bonar - With the rehab group but participated in some of the drills early. Showed nice anticipation in one of the drills where 2 defenders would stand in a triangle of 3 players and try to pick off the pass. Bonar picked the pass off on multiple occasions. Had his left hand bandaged though I think.

Young - Not much else to add with Young, was consistent in what he's shown previously (I should lump Mahoney, Scott, Taylor Young and maybe a few others in a group when I do these).

Greenwood - There were a few times where he was in open space running into goal and it made me notice that he has a funny running gait, sort of waddles a bit, and isn't fast haha. Was good again though in everything he did, and like Jy, was vocal out there supporting the boys.

J. Walker - Another who I can't recall seeing much of. Not sure if my memory is fading or if it's just full.

Larkey - Was good in the moments I had visual of him, unfortunately another who I don't have much info on today.

Goldy - Moving well and had some good moments streaming into goal and nailing them on the run from about 40m out, and another in one of the drills I mentioned earlier where he was able to spot up a forward with a pin-point pass. Will play an important role this year.

McKay - Shanked a kick in one of the drills coming out of defensive 50 which is unlike him, but was good for the most part from what I saw.

Powell - Also missed a couple of passes in one of the drills, but again was solid if unspectacular with everything else he did for the rest of the session. What I will say though is Powell could make a decent player on just his desire to get better and his drive/determination alone. Was the last to leave training today by an absolute mile. He has been the last or second last to leave training every single time I've been to watch.

Had about 20 shots on goal as the players started heading off, and once everyone was gone (bar two coaches who were feeding him the ball back) he had about another 20-25 shots on goal. So probably an extra 15-20 minutes out there after everyone else was inside. I was thinking to myself "come on Tom, you've gotta go so that I can go at some point". Was taking set shots from all angles about 40-50m out, and had a few running shots from in front about 45-50m out. Either nailed or got close with most of the shots, hit the post a few times. Strikes me as maybe like a Sidebottom type up forward (or maybe just in general?). Let me know if you think I'm way off with that one haha. Also seemed to clear 50m on numerous occasions but may have been assisted by a breeze.

Okay so this one was longer that a sentence, but when you add the natural talent to the mentality that Powell is displaying, all things going well he should be an absolute elite player. Cannot believe we got him with our second pick in that draft. I was reminded of Victoria Amat Curam watching him stay out there as I think he represents this in spades.

Curtis - Much better disposal wise today than any other time I've seen him. Still had the odd miscue, but was able to string together plenty of nice passes and shots on goal today. Drew some applause from the coaches multiple times with his ability to hit the perfect corridor kick. I think in-game, there'll be times where PC shanks a kick, and then the next disposal will be a miraculous goal 40m out along the boundary with no angle to speak of. Also showed very soft hands on occasion, taking a couple of marks on the lead at full tilt, hands out in front. Very interesting and exciting prospect.

Thomas - Is more serious than just the happy-go-lucky larrikin persona he sort of gives off. Plenty of times he would question the coaches on his positioning, clarifying the objective of certain drills, and instructing players on what they should've done after a failed play. Looked good again out there. Along with Powell, made the "keepings off" triangle drill look easy with his kicking. They couldn't get it off him.

Goater - I still find it hard to spot him amongst Bergman and Edwards at times, but he's another exciting prospect just with his athleticism. Was buzzing around today and even though he grubbed a kick trying to hit a forward in one of the drills, was still applauded by one of the coaches for moving it on quickly and choosing the right option.

Edwards - Was getting A LOT of instruction and attention from one of the coaches (I reckon Younnie?) on positioning and applying forward pressure in one of the drills. Was also called out by Younnie for leading far too wide when the ball was coming through the corridor, as there would've been very little chance he would be used in that position. Younnie was fair though and gave him a few thumbs up when he was happy with the pressure Jacob provided.

P. Walker - With the rehab group still I believe, if it was him he was always on the far side to where I was so unfortunately didn't get to see much of him.

Lazzaro - Hit some absolutely beautiful well-weighted kicks just over opposition hands in one of the drills that drew a bit of applause. Probably said it before but does everything to a consistently good level.

Spicer - Rehab group.

Hayden - Same deal with Kyron although he was better today with disposal. Given the situation with Jed, could be the perfect time to trial him in the middle I reckon to see how he goes.

Xerri - Hit some nice passes while on the move, and also missed a couple. But my impressions of his disposal and movement have improved over this preseason. Will be interesting to see how his year pans out.

McGuinness - Yep did okay today. Showed some great kicking coming out of defence a couple of times during some of the more difficult drills. Some nice switch/transition kicks.

Cooper Harvey - Whilst most players out there are quite vocal and some even more so, Cooper currently appears to be the opposite in that he's a bit more quiet and reserved. It may just be because he's the youngest and is still getting to know everybody, but just thought I'd note it down. Still holds his own in the drills and does well for someone yet to be drafted as he's already a good size.

Comben - So much potential and another who looked good out there but how can he not when he moves and kicks the way he does. At least 10+ games please! Preferably way more.

Coleman-Jones - Saw him early and then didn't recall seeing much of him throughout the drills. Not sure where he was but maybe I just missed seeing him.

LDU - A bit rusty at times with his kicking, missed a couple of straight forward shots running into goal, but it was great to spot him out there! Also at times looked a bit spent when others appeared fine. In my opinion this is the only thing holding him back. Get that cardio up and everything else will fall into place.

Perez - Joined the main group and he was probably one of the most impressive today for me. Moving beautifully, and along with McGuinness in the backline, he hit some difficult kicks either switching play or coming out of D50 like it was nothing. I would pick him ahead of McGuinness though if they were competing for a spot. Just appears to be a better athlete and also seems to have a harder edge.

great write up again mate, thank you!

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)

Absentees again were:

Spicer - Rehab group.

Thanks. Was Hore out there? He was in Hayden's 37 when I was at the last training run before Xmas. Hore didn't look out of place at all when I saw him.

rooboy335

All Australian
Dec 15, 2005
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks. Was Hore out there? He was in Hayden's 37 when I was at the last training run before Xmas. Hore didn't look out of place at all when I saw him.

Hey Rod, nah Hore wasn't out there on Monday or today. You're right, I saw him pre Xmas and even though he was just running around with Perez who wasn't doing full training at the time, he actually looked alright. From memory I thought he was very much another Perez, similar body shape, would probably play that third tall/intercept role in defence and looks to have a great kick on him.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Hey Rod, nah Hore wasn't out there on Monday or today. You're right, I saw him pre Xmas and even though he was just running around with Perez who wasn't doing full training at the time, he actually looked alright. From memory I thought he was very much another Perez, similar body shape, would probably play that third tall/intercept role in defence and looks to have a great kick on him.
I thought he looked a bit bigger in size (height) compared to Perez, but could be wrong..

May 24, 2011
Richmond
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Absentees again were:

Spicer - Rehab group.

Your a bloke

Back