Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

I used to get that all the time on Smith St collingwood and Victoria St in Richmond.
‘You Jason?’
Had no idea who and where TF this Jason guy was.
Sketchy dudes. Anyways…
Beat me to it KOTR!

I used to live just off Victoria St. My common response was "no my name's Jason". Seemed to confuse them.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Almost word for word what I would have written. He has had a much tougher than average run than most on and off field and IMO close to one of the surest things on our list.

+3.

His father’s cancer battle would have absolutely affected his on field performances.

He’ll be our #1, go to centre square mid.

Bowski

Club Legend
May 14, 2007
Shenanigan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic
Eddie Ford likely to do anything this coming season?

Nup. Now piss off.

I imagine we'll get a few of these as always, perhaps another 'supercoach questions' thread isn't the worst idea (I can't be bothered making one).

Love the passion though YOTR.

From all reports he's tracking reasonably well but would probably not be considered supercoach relevant due to job security/accumulation. Perhaps worth a last round flutter in a draft league. IMHO of course.

Not likely mate - if he did it would be through injury this year. We are likely to go a little taller with CCJ and Comben now available plus JHF coming in so it pretty tight for spots up front finally!!

Having said that , he is a punk with swagger and a bag of tricks so a big pre-season and form in the VFL could see him push for a spot by years end.

Last edited:
May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I imagine we'll get a few of these as always, perhaps another 'supercoach questions' thread isn't the worst idea (I can't be bothered making one).

Love the passion though YOTR.

From all reports he's tracking reasonably well but would probably not be considered supercoach relevant due to job security/accumulation. Perhaps worth a last round flutter in a draft league. IMHO of course.
We have a SC and statistics thread.
Any Q's can be directed here.

Last edited:
A few clubs have had one already.

If I was to guess, I think I'd go with next Fri 4/2 or Fri 11/2.

Id be surprised if it was tomorrow, but I think there will still be some full ground stuff tomorrow.

Yeah, they actually do a lot of full ground stuff before announcing a formal one for fans to come watch etc.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like what?
Not likely mate - if he did it would be through injury this year. We are likely to go a little tally with CCJ and Comben now available plus JHF coming in so it pretty tight for spots up front finally!!

Having said that , he is a punk with swagger and a bag of tricks so a big pre-season and form in the VFL could see him push for a spot by years end.
I disagree.
Reckon he's a lot closer to best 22 than you think. List spots are just at a HUGE premuim this year.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ford will be around the mark, he might even be sub quite a bit.

JHF has probably market corrected him to an extent, as Im sure he will get an extended run in that half forward role.

It really comes down to who Noble plays in that last small/medium forward roll - Mahoney, Turner, Curtis, C.Taylor, Ford?

I think JHF (initially), Stepho, Zurhaar, Larkey, CCJ are locks. I think Comben will be playing also. So that's 6 already....

The VFL side will certainly have a strong forward line if all fit...

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ford will be around the mark, he might even be sub quite a bit.

JHF has probably market corrected him to an extent, as Im sure he will get an extended run in that half forward role.

It really comes down to who Noble plays in that last small/medium forward roll - Mahoney, Turner, Curtis, C.Taylor, Ford?

I think JHF (initially), Stepho, Zurhaar, Larkey, CCJ are locks. I think Comben will be playing also. So that's 6 already....

The VFL side will certainly have a strong forward line if all fit...
Taylor will be vying for that wing position vacated by Frog too IMO. He looked very good rotating through that role later in the season and his footy IQ is arguably high as any of the young guys he's competing with. I reckon his versatility -- ability to play taller, smaller and through the midfield -- gives him the edge. Also, I reckon Turner's a lock as a Mr. Fix-it.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taylor will be vying for that wing position vacated by Frog too IMO. He looked very good rotating through that role later in the season and his footy IQ is arguably high as any of the young guys he's competing with. I reckon his versatility -- ability to play taller, smaller and through the midfield -- gives him the edge. Also, I reckon Turner's a lock as a Mr. Fix-it.

McDonald pretty much moved into that Frog role, hence why the club was happy for him to go.

I think between Stephenson, JHF, Thomas they are going to command decent wing/midfield minutes outside of the main rotation (Greenwood, Simpkin, LDU, Powell, Phillips).

I think it will be hard for the likes of Taylor, Mahoney etc to get minutes there.

Remembering there is Lazarro and Polec to consider also, I think I'd probably prefer both on a wing before Taylor. I think Polec will be a bit more involved this year.

Nugget 83

Photographer
Jan 14, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Agree re Taylor. Him and Polec have been spending a heck of a lot of time together at training.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I’m not sure he has the depth in his kicking for the wing role. Imo you want you’re wingers to have a nice 50 meter kick on them. It’s what stopped Froggy from really taking off in that position.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not sure he has the depth in his kicking for the wing role. Imo you want you’re wingers to have a nice 50 meter kick on them. It’s what stopped Froggy from really taking off in that position.
Outside of Cunners and maybe Powell, I reckon he's got the best vision and creativity with the ball at the club. Sees some things that no one else does. His creativity and ability overhead makes up for it imo.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Outside of Cunners and maybe Powell, I reckon he's got the best vision and creativity with the ball at the club. Sees some things that no one else does. His creativity and ability overhead makes up for it imo.

Yeah maybe. We’ll see I spose. I think he’s perfectly suited to HFF or even forward pocket. Has a lot of flair in his game but he’s also prone to munging easy kicks. I’ve been wrong before so maybe he’ll make a good winger 🤷🏻‍♂️

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah maybe. We’ll see I spose. I think he’s perfectly suited to HFF or even forward pocket. Has a lot of flair in his game but he’s also prone to munging easy kicks. I’ve been wrong before so maybe he’ll make a good winger 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, there's definitely competition there. I'm just an enormous fan of Taylor and rate him highly.

Havign wingers able to clunk it is underrated too IMO. They're often a get out kick under pressure and those marks down the line after a hurried kick relieve a heap of pressure.

Back