Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I do like reading this analysis of the Freo picks... "... I would've taken Erasmus" for pick 8 (Freo :blush:). "... and Freo should've picked someone like Johnson" for 10. Freo: "Hold my beer" https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...draft-************-espn-reviewing-first-round

Of course, the draft is won and lost in the next 5 years, not today, but Freo's haul looks likely to be handy.

Hilarious that his evaluation for every pick bar one after Erasmus went is that the club should have taken Mathew Johnson.

Ok, we get it, clubs should scrap their recruiters and just go off your power rankings!

Last edited:

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I like the past two years how we’ve taken a Vic kid in the rookie draft. Overlooked, then boom Freo swoop. The gratitude meter for being the club that ‘gives them their chance’ would be off the scale, so if they turn out ok they’re more likely to want to stay. If not, that’s ok too as they were a rookie pick and we’d likely get decent compo for them in a trade.
The Vic guys from the 4th round onwards who we’ve taken since the rebuild started are all fiercely loyal to the footy club, and have resisted offers to go home. I like it.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Hilarious that his evaluation for every pick bar one after Erasmus went is that the club should have taken Mathew Johnson.

Ok, we get it, clubs should scrap their recruiters and just go off your power rankings!
It just makes him look silly. I get that he essentially just ticks off his own ratings, but it ignores it is ignorant of what clubs to.

WC with Chesser an example. I'm amazed they did not inhale Johnson the moment they realised he was available, but rating their selection would be far more credible if there was some understanding about why they see Chesser as the better option.

Similarly, if Victorian clubs see Johnson as a flight risk, and if there is an evenness about that area of the draft, that's a perspective that warrants some consideration.

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like the past two years how we’ve taken a Vic kid in the rookie draft. Overlooked, then boom Freo swoop. The gratitude meter for being the club that ‘gives them their chance’ would be off the scale, so if they turn out ok they’re more likely to want to stay. If not, that’s ok too as they were a rookie pick and we’d likely get decent compo for them in a trade.
The Vic guys from the 4th round onwards who we’ve taken since the rebuild started are all fiercely loyal to the footy club, and have resisted offers to go home. I like it.
Mee too thought the same way.
Starting from Tabs ending at Treacy

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

thewiz0033

Senior List
Feb 18, 2016
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Couth Fremantle

To be fair it was under the heading “if I was the list manager”. He rated Johnson at 7 so any midfielder taken between 8 and 20 should have been Johnson

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
To be fair basically every Vic since the start of the rebuild barring Cerra has been fiercely loyal

Langdon is probably the only other one and he was pick 54

The others that have left were either trade ins or here before

And Honestly, I reckon both those players did love the club, they were just always lost causes to Victoria unfortunately, sometimes you just can't convince them.

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
By the by, whilst I have it on my mind, do you see Lachie Neale try to get back to WA at the end of next season. If so, do we look at draft capital or trade our “off cuts” ?.

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
By the by, whilst I have it on my mind, do you see Lachie Neale try to get back to WA at the end of next season. If so, do we look at draft capital or trade our “off cuts” ?.

Honestly don't think so. We don't need him right now and he's probably better off finishing his contract with Brisbane.

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly don't think so. We don't need him right now and he's probably better off finishing his contract with Brisbane.
It has so many negatives, 1. Lions will ask overs.2. Even though we did well in draft , a few holes like one each in wing,small forward,half forward, and key forward still needed( tabs wont be there for long and sturt doubtful) 3. He will block the development of new draftees and 2nd and 3rd year players in midfield. 4. We already have similar type in midfield and it will be over supply 5. Because of reason number (4),some players may play out of position and may opt to leave.... we all love Neale he can come back definitely but when he finish contract with lions.

Danny82

All Australian
May 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone know if the under 19 grand final game where Johnson got the medal is anywhere online? I can find game 1 and 3 on YouTube but not this one.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Hypothetical, if both JVR and Johnson was available at 21 who we would have taken?

Probably Johnson, I think we rated Johnson as high as top 10, and he filled the need for a classy midfielder that could play there straight away

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Imagine how hard WC would go to get him.

The thought I had, was that Mrs Neale was fanging to return to Perth. Freo would be very, very lukewarm. Opens the door for the Eagles to put an offer in.

I don’t think Freo would be greatly interested, thus the Eagles shouldn’t need to pay over’s.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Neale is not a need and therefore , it’s not bang for buck.

West Coast will be in a rebuild at the end of this year.

My bet is that Neale stays in Brisbane.

Neale and his missus went for the $ and best rooster in the chook house a few years ago.

He needs to make the nest and lie in it now, as we’ve got some new Roosters in the coop, and I’m not sure it’s good to bring in olde hen pecked ones.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The thought I had, was that Mrs Neale was fanging to return to Perth. Freo would be very, very lukewarm. Opens the door for the Eagles to put an offer in.

I don’t think Freo would be greatly interested, thus the Eagles shouldn’t need to pay over’s.
We would have a duty to ensure they paid maximum.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Neale and his missus went for the $ and best rooster in the chook house a few years ago.

He needs to make the nest and lie in it now, as we’ve got some new Roosters in the coop, and I’m not sure it’s good to bring in olde hen pecked ones.
Feign interest, but when push comes to shove, low ball both Neale and Brisvegas.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldnt be opposed to Neale coming back next year, but crucially, at the right price. He’s a Brownlow medalist at the end of the day and would add valuable experience to a young team.

We expect to be pushing for flags from 2023-2025 and are you telling me Lachie Neale wouldnt be a valuable part of the side in that period?

Yeah it’s nice that we won the draft period and all the rest of it this week, but I want to seeus back winning big games and playing deep into big finals campaigns. I really
hope we won’t have another top 10 pick until the 2030s.
It’s easy to forget just how irrelevant we were at times this season just past. Anything that helps us become relevant, quicker, from here on, is good.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Neale would be a free agent job in 2023 IMO.

Would cost too much next year with still a year to run and playing good footy. Really need to use that high pick next year as there's still a couple of holes in the list going forward.

2023 he'd be 30 turning 31? Would be worth it as imo he could play 50/50 middle and small forward. And a free agent.

Of course the extra time in Brissy might solidify them there.

And West Coast would be hilarious next year. They can't be trading away picks at this point.

Back