West Coast's top 30 picks lately:
2021: #14 Chesser
2020: None
2019: None
2018: #28 O'Neill (two L's)
2017: #13 Brander, #21 Allen, #26 Ryan
2016: #13 Venables
2015: #28 Partington

Why would they want to cough up a potential top ten pick to get Johnson?

Because they need to?

This show why they can’t. They can’t trade their future 1st, because they need to 2 1st in a 4 year period.

Looking at it the other way around, if we had say pick 26-28 ish and a f2 would we consider trading up to 21 to get Johnson ?

I’d guess that’s a yes, pretty sure we did something similar for O’Driscol last year and he wasn’t quite so highly rated.

On that logic it would need to be a very very good offer to drop back and miss the chance to grab him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wouldn't trade Goater/Sonsie/Draper plus a f2 for Johnson (or vice versa).

If you want to win a flag, get the best available. That's Johnson.
If you want to wait for a rainy day, by doing a deal, you'll never get a flag.
Attack Bell, attack!!

I share this view now as well. Get the guys in now and start putting the time into them, stop pushing things into the future.

what would you do at this point Chris? Who is available that you think has the best chance of making it and would fit in at Freo knowing our needs.

Johnson is best available for me and would be hard to go past. Goater fits what we want. Butler is the other I suspect we consider early.

Trading back would bring Motlop and Warner into the mix.

No draft grade yet from old KM, but apparently we should have taken Erasmus and Johnson with our first two. And gone for Tyler Keitel late instead of Amiss. Good luck with that.

He did bloody well with his power rankings but that is ******* ridiculous! Keitel pfft! And taking Amiss was purely tactical so we could still get Erasmus (who he rated best available at our first pick) which he fails to realise.

Agree . Would really like Johnson but have total trust in our gun drafting team.

Worst case scenario I think he would have Deven Robertson covered in most areas of his game plus his ball use is first class.
Robertson had a slow start but is now becoming a handy player

I share this view now as well. Get the guys in now and start putting the time into them, stop pushing things into the future.

I'm thinking that way too. Back our scouts in and go best available with needs and go home factor taking into account whoever that is, Butler, Jonno, Motlop or Goater etc.

My concern with Johnson is that our midfield will seriously be lacking pace unless we have Freddy and Clark on the wings. But better we play both in defence just in case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did bloody well with his power rankings but that is ******* ridiculous! Keitel pfft! And taking Amiss was purely tactical so we could still get Erasmus (who he rated best available at our first pick) which he fails to realise.

Guess it depends on what you consider doing well. But he struggles to understand the game play involved in drafting.

I don't wanna hear from other clubs at this point, get Johnson, it's a no brainer. just take him and be done with it. This shouldn't even be a topic for debate.

This. As others have said KISS. This is the new Freo, not the old Freo. Don't go doing something stupid.

Just pick the kid who no-one thought would really be available. Don't go second guessing.

That’s the only concern with Johnson. No obvious second position. Not that there’s anything wrong with that if you’re an elite talent but we already have Brayshaw & Serong who are really only centre bounce players. He is at least a point of difference being 193cm. I reckon he would be able to play half back but we’re already flush with players back there.

23 and 26 from the Hawks for 21 is just too big a price to pay, even with a third going back.

I think there is enough quality, plus Richmond, geebung and Hawks soaking up most of the picks, I don't think we will get a compelling offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if we called out Butlers name though.

Sonsie, Butler, Draper or Williams. Im not overly fussed on Johnson

23 and 26 from the Hawks for 21 is just too big a price to pay, even with a third going back.

I think there is enough quality, plus Richmond, geebung and Hawks soaking up most of the picks, I don't think we will get a compelling offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if we called out Butlers name though.

Sonsie, Butler, Draper or Williams. Im not overly fussed on Johnson
I think regular trade prices get thrown out the window in these situations. Club are now trading for a player, not a pick, there's no guesswork on who they are getting, they'll know exactly who it is.

If a club has one of the talents top 10 and a gap to who they think will be available to them when its their turn to pick as it stands, they'll pay close to top 10 pick in value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back