Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 1287546
I was gonna ask what the FoxFooty team was on because it's definitely not legal, but then I noticed a total of three sides didn't recieve an A.

That's hilarious: "bringing in a first-round bolter". So basically, if you used you first round pick to select someone that none of draft watchers (or other clubs) rated, you've done a brilliant job.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's hilarious: "bringing in a first-round bolter". So basically, if you used you first round pick to select someone that none of draft watchers (or other clubs) rated, you've done a brilliant job.
Looks like the only way to do a bad job is along the lines “forgot to enter a pick before their 5 minutes expired, so missed out on a top 15 pick this year”

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Today, I woke up with a fully charged phone (not gonna make the same mistake twice) and hopped om my couch with a good feeling in my gut. Did they trade pick 21? Did they pick up Johnson? Did they try to outsmart the rest of the comp and take a random "bolter"?

The thought of getting a cup of coffee quickly fleeted and I switched on my phone. AFL app opened and I see the headline "WA slider a Docker after a nervous wait"... I looked into the distance, quiet, calm, and composed on the outside. On the inside...

I clicked on the draft recap and saw that Belly and Co did the right thing. The smart move. The safe choice. A let out a sigh of relief.

Naturally, I went and made a cup of french roast coffee and proceeded to devour any and all videos of our new draftees.

After an hour of feasting, I sat back, filled to the brim with satisfaction on an amazing draft haul. Two forwards and two mids. All top WA talent.

Will all of the new draftees work out? History says probably not. But drafting is a crystal ball business and all you can do is take the best player available and hope luck and fortune are on your side. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're building something special and everyone knows it. We're trying to build a winning culture before we have on field success, which is incredibly difficult to do. But, you do it by drafting quality players who want to be at the club. You do it by coming out and saying publicly we're going to win premierships in the next 4 years. You do it by setting the bar high and raising expectations. Did you listen to what these new draftees are saying? What Serong is saying? What Brayshaw is saying? Everyone is buying in.

Freo is building.

Are you ready?

It's gonna be a fun ride. ;)

Mods, if I put this post in the wrong thread, you can move it. I wasn't sure if it belonged in the Positivity Thread.. :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Annoyed that Hawks took Serong away from us

We clearly wanted him but ah well

The fact that we took Benning means we likely don't rate anyone high enough to draft them (We had to take him because we have to fill our main list spots, if we had passed and he slid to Cat B then we would not have taken enough picks in the draft to satisfy main list spots) , maybe 1 or 2 worth a rookie spot but if they get snatched up first then I can 100% see us taking the SSP spot.

My bet is we take the free spot to the SSP for sure, would be very surprised if we take another rookie tomorrow.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
West coast crushed it today, Hough is the next Fyfe Imo, will start forward but will take his athleticism and marking to the midfield, hopefully it doesn't turn out but I was ready to go to another board and praise this selection after the draft but not gonna do it now lol

Bazzo will be a handy player too, wasn't really a need for us but surprised he slid so low tbh

Clark should be handy and Williams has potential, I wasn't huge on Williams though, expected him to maybe get to the rookie draft, I think Benning is the better prospect.

This would have been a great draft to have our usual couple of picks in the 25s to 50s

Some great talent that I wanted in Hough, Bazzo, Warner, Serong, Draper went in those picks

Motlop got picked up by the worst team for him, he was already a risky pick and I don't trust Carlton to develop him at all, should've been a pick in the late 30s to lates 40s for me, really disappointed for him though as I don't trust Carlton to develop him.

Tigers got a steal with Sonsie at 28

Bids came late on a few of the academies this year, was interesting

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very happy with the draft. Although it sometimes feels like we're missing out on the 'bargains' from pick 30 onwards - the likelihood of them playing 100+ games is very slim. There's a reason they slid. You want the quality at the top end of the draft and that's what we did.

I was keen on Jack Williams but the smart move was probably to keep a list spot open and available depending on injury and list needs.

Erasmus and Johnson look to be confident kids and think they will do well.

I wasn't 100% on Amiss but after watching the club's highlights package and hearing a few interviews, I'm impressed. He seems grounded, humble and dedicated. This hopefully eliminates the 'DH-ness' some key forwards are cursed with (Hogan, Patton etc).

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Where to From Here?
Don’t think for one minute that it’s a snap of the fingers and presto all our problems go away. These are lean recruits who will take a pre season or two to hit their straps. Competition for spots will be huge but for every in there’s an out. From here who’s going to fall by the way side? It’s unlikely we end up with a Brayshaw / Cerra, Serong / Young scenario every draft. Will next year be a trade year? Will we target the likes of Jackson, McDonald in stead of hitting the draft? Interesting couple of years in front of us me thinks !!

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we want Johnson then we have to take him at 21, same with Goater really

North are more likely to trade down than trade up, this means if we trade our pick down then someone else can trade for Norths pick meaning those top 2 will likely be gone, sure there is some more talent on the board like Sonsie and Draper but those first 2 are the big sliders.
As if west coast are going to play their kids. Geelong 2.0
It’s amazing how many talls that WC draft. It will be interesting to see how they control the ball from the midfield, back half?
Simpsons gameplan pinched them a premiership, but after watching the Dees I just don’t see how it is relevant now.
Similar to Lyons time at Freo, by 2016 was on borrowed time.
There fans will argue how they almost beat the premiers at home, but away their form is bottom 8😜

Potential last years:
Crowden
Blakely
Banfield
Wilson
Mundy (ret)
Lobb
Hamling (ret)
Valente
Acres

so some good turnover to come. Will be interesting to see if anyone can break out and make a case for a new contract

(also, acres was listed last, becauseI actually forgot he existed. )

So basically this thread can be summed up:

We had an awesome draft because we drafted all WA kids. WC had a terrible first day because they overlooked WA kids, Then WC had an awesome second day because they drafted WA kids.
WC heard that bells and walls were playing 3D chess, and thought we were referring to a player.
I still think the player they missed most last year was Jetta, that run and drive from half back, so he makes a bit of sense.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Potential last years:
Crowden
Blakely
Banfield
Wilson
Mundy (ret)
Lobb
Hamling (ret)
Valente
Acres

so some good turnover to come. Will be interesting to see if anyone can break out and make a case for a new contract

(also, acres was listed last, becauseI actually forgot he existed. )

Can’t see 2022 being Hamling’s last year. Every year people say one or two of our players will retire due to injuries. It never actually happens until the club delists them.

Also could see 2022 being Colyer’s last year. If he plays anything like this year though, it won’t be.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Looks good on paper but I wonder if it's too one-paced?

I think adding more pace has to be our goal again next off season. Another developing ruck/forward, a small forward and another winger and our list looks in great shape.

Freddie/Clarke/Henry on the wings in 2022.

We went pretty close to winning a flag with Sandilands/Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow/Crowley. No Usain Bolt's in that bunch.

What time the rookie draft start? I suspect we pass.
Midday AEDT I think.

EDIT: 3pm AEST. Pub lunch first apparently.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I am the happiest I have ever been with a Draft haul and 2019 was a seriously good haul. Amiss, Erasmus, Benning and Johnson. All 4 insane talents, all 4 from WA. We stayed local and picked 4 of the best talents in the state. A key forward with mad potential to become similar to Josh Kennedy, two midfielders who are our deadset replacements for Fyfe and Mundy and a forward/ruck who could easily fill in for Darcy down the line, could kick plenty of goals too.

Our core is officially ******* set for the future.

Serong, Young, Henry, Sturt, Walker, Treacy, Brayshaw, Chapman, Logue, Cox, Amiss, Erasmus, Benning, Johnson, Darcy and so many ******* others. I am INSANELY optimistic about the future.

And I say this unironically, STRAP YOURSELVES THE * IN.

Can’t see 2022 being Hamling’s last year. Every year people say one or two of our players will retire due to injuries. It never actually happens until the club delists them.

Also could see 2022 being Colyer’s last year. If he plays anything like this year though, it won’t be.
Huh.. thought he got 2 years.
I’m hopeful Hamling comes good and plays a few more years, even as depth. Just not as confident as I was with Pearce, or am with Sturt and Fyfe.

Back