Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely not. The only issue would be if it swayed them away from picking an inside genuine ball winner instead of an extra outside rebounding type. And the player turns out worse.

We will probably never know.

Good kicking is always useful in any game plan. After last year I’ve had a gut full of sky high, shallow 50 entries or it’s dirty cousin the ******* worm burner at a leading forward’s ankles. The sooner we can get some skill on the wings and HFF the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good kicking is always useful in any game plan. After last year I’ve had a gut full of sky high, shallow 50 entries or it’s dirty cousin the ******* worm burner at a leading forward’s ankles. The sooner we can get some skill on the wings and HFF the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly

Our foward entries along with our center clearances were absolutely disgraceful and our defense was always under pressure, Pulling my hair out all season
Hopefully teague is better as a foward coach than he was as head coach

The only question from all this is where the next key forward is coming from, and this question has been lingering ever since CCJ left.

Obviously the club knows this better than all of us. Given it takes 2-3 years (at least) between drafting and a kid establishing himself as a KPP, they must have a plan in the works, and I don't think it's just asking Jack to keep playing.

Either they have a free agent already lined up or they are going to turn a backman into a forward. Once Riewoldy is retired I don't think we can play the game of Lynch plus a mid-sized forward (e.g. Caddy); the oppos will just double team Lynch and we will fail to kick a big enough score.

It took me about 5 minutes to "get" what the club was doing with this draft and I have no problem with it. But there's gotta be something in the works for FF/CHF because even drafting the next Tony Lockett next year is going to be too late.

Too late for what? We are in contention 2022 but only the most optimistic supporters would put as in flag contention 2023-25 with at various intervals no Cotch, Jack, Edwards, Grimes, Prestia, Broad, Pickett, Tarrant, Lynch or ‘peak Dusty’.

So to my mind we’ve got a bit of time to work on KPF replacements. Demons had next to no-one and picked up B. Brown in a trade and Jackson in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Too late for what? We are in contention 2022 but only the most optimistic supporters would put as in flag contention 2023-25 with at various intervals no Cotch, Jack, Edwards, Grimes, Prestia, Broad, Pickett, Tarrant, Lynch or ‘peak Dusty’.

So to my mind we’ve got a bit of time to work on KPF replacements. Demons had next to no-one and picked up B. Brown in a trade and Jackson in the draft.

I think to say we are in contention for 2022 actually requires a fair amount of optimism too

In Tarrant - Out: Astbury, Houli, CCJ, Chol. Cotch & Jack are a year older & we are relying on a longer pre-season as the only logic to hope that they & Prestia & Toby can actually have a better run of health. We are a long way off Melbourne & Dogs in the midfield and not sure i really see a lot of seasons to why we will be much better in that area in 2022 considering our young "pre draft" crew of mids were not able to break into the team in the way we were expecting

I think to say we are in contention for 2022 actually requires a fair amount of optimism too

In Tarrant - Out: Astbury, Houli, CCJ, Chol. Cotch & Jack are a year older & we are relying on a longer pre-season as the only logic to hope that they & Prestia & Toby can actually have a better run of health. We are a long way off Melbourne & Dogs in the midfield and not sure i really see a lot of seasons to why we will be much better in that area in 2022 considering our young "pre draft" crew of mids were not able to break into the team in the way we were expecting

we were premiers just over 12 months ago. Easily the best team in the comp. Its not too far fetched to say with a change in fortunes we can be back there competing at the top end. We havent magically fallen of the invisible cliff.
Melb and WB midfields are in front of our but they were fortunate to have their primary movers available for the most part of the year where as our midfield was decimated. Our full strength midfield may not be as good but the gap isn't as large as your making it out all fit and firing. See how the Demons go if they lose Gawn and Jackson for an extended period, coupled with Petracca and Oliver out at the same time.

Prestia is off to a good preseason, no leg injuries

we were premiers just over 12 months ago. Easily the best team in the comp. Its not too far fetched to say with a change in fortunes we can be back there competing at the top end. We havent magically fallen of the invisible cliff.
Melb and WB midfields are in front of our but they were fortunate to have their primary movers available for the most part of the year where as our midfield was decimated. Our full strength midfield may not be as good but the gap isn't as large as your making it out all fit and firing. See how the Demons go if they lose Gawn and Jackson for an extended period, coupled with Petracca and Oliver out at the same time.

I think the gap is pretty big tbh. If i had to put a number on it, i'd say Cotchin & Edwards are at least 30% worse than they were in 2020. I think pure hope is the only reason to have a belief Prestia will physically be strong enough to get back to his 2017-20 form & reliability. Even a elite level Dusty again doesn't make up for those 3 indisputable facts. Baker did show he can be a new rotation player in the midfield, but unfortunately by the time 2021 ended neither of RCD, Dow, Ross, Graham, Pickett, Martyn, Rioli had shown enough for it to be a bonafide fact that they are players that can stand up to fill the void. They are rotation options, at best. We unfortunately needed at least 2 to stand up to prime timers & that didn't happen

I think the gap is pretty big tbh. If i had to put a number on it, i'd say Cotchin & Edwards are at least 30% worse than they were in 2020. I think pure hope is the only reason to have a belief Prestia will physically be strong enough to get back to his 2017-20 form & reliability. Even a elite level Dusty again doesn't make up for those 3 indisputable facts. Baker did show he can be a new rotation player in the midfield, but unfortunately by the time 2021 ended neither of RCD, Dow, Ross, Graham, Pickett, Martyn, Rioli had shown enough for it to be a bonafide fact that they are players that can stand up to fill the void. They are rotation options, at best. We unfortunately needed at least 2 to stand up to prime timers & that didn't happen
I think with hopefully no interruptions, we will get to see guys like RCD, Ross and even Martyn develop. It's not fair criticising them. They came as 18 year olds and have had hardly any game time in 2 years. Also, because we have been winning premierships, you could hardly drop premiership heroes from the team to play them so they got less time than other youngsters from other teams in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too late to have someone playing ff (or chf) when Jack retires.

Chucking an 18 year old draftee at ff in the ones has fairly predictable results I would have thought.

Who? Never heard of him and I follow the draft
25 year old key forward, formally of the Brisbane Lions. Head and shoulders above every other key forward in the VFL last year and that includes some fairly reasonable names. 43 goals from 10 games. Previous years in the NEAFL were pretty hot too. I find it bizarre that he didn't get picked up for a second chance this year with a club. Richmond makes sense to me after losing CCJ and Chol. There are other options out there besides taking an 18 year old.

25 year old key forward, formally of the Brisbane Lions. Head and shoulders above every other key forward in the VFL last year and that includes some fairly reasonable names. 43 goals from 10 games. Previous years in the NEAFL were pretty hot too. I find it bizarre that he didn't get picked up for a second chance this year with a club. Richmond makes sense to me after losing CCJ and Chol. There are other options out there besides taking an 18 year old.

Given the VFL competition hardly got off the ground last year and didn't get off the ground at all in 2020 not sure how you can claim him to be head and shoulders above the other key forwards across the VFL?

Given the VFL competition hardly got off the ground last year and didn't get off the ground at all in 2020 not sure how you can claim him to be head and shoulders above the other key forwards across the VFL?
Well yes and no. He had to work under the similar conditions and managed to kick a heap more goals than anyone else. His form in 2018/19 in the NEAFL was pretty impressive as well. Is entering his prime years as a KPF. Just a shame he looks set to do that at VFL level instead of in the AFL. Actually I'm not sure where he plays next year as both his previous clubs in Aspley and Redland have dropped out of the VFL and NEAFL respectively.

Agree with others re Knightmare, used to think this guy had some idea, but obviously has NFI, D+ from him, while A+ from The Age and Foxfooty. Also big tick from AFL site.

Sounds very much like the club has recognised that the game is changing and we need to move away from the chaos game style (or whatever it’s been labeled) and bring in players with elite footskills and speed.

KM does his own thing. Which is great if you look at multiple draft watchers.

But he has pet things he loves. Some are good. But sometimes he is just chasing his own beliefs.

on the draft ranking. that is him ranking who we took against his power ratings. So you can easily turn it around and say he got a D+ against the reality of who we picked. He acknowledges that, but obviously stands by what he has done.

I like to look at multiple draft watchers. And what I see is mixed opinions, especially this year. Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder.

I think with hopefully no interruptions, we will get to see guys like RCD, Ross and even Martyn develop. It's not fair criticising them. They came as 18 year olds and have had hardly any game time in 2 years. Also, because we have been winning premierships, you could hardly drop premiership heroes from the team to play them so they got less time than other youngsters from other teams in the seniors.

don't disagree there and reckon i can safely say i have been a loud & proud believer in RCD, as well as Naish - for those exact same reasons. It's been a s**t of a time to develop for many kids. But, for all the crap Cerra was copping here as being overrated - he is clearly a class above any of our midfielders from that bunch i mentioned earlier, reality is those boys are all a 50/50 chance at best to come on and take off. With Dusty, Cotch - we knew very early we had a player. Cerra for example is already showing clear glimpses of being a VG player & has been able to play big blocks of games at that level. you know early what they are & neither of these kids have really flaunted that vibe. Comparing them to Cerra and its hard to say they are in the same prospect pool.

This is why i was extremely pro handing the keys over to these kids over the last 8 weeks and just seeing where it all landed. we needed them to be developed and i think the shitshow which was the 2nd half of 2021 was a great platform for RCD & Dow

Ross - i really dont see any reason to be planning anything on him, if he turns out at this point we are just very lucky .Ordinary skills.

The irony is he was a great grunt mid prospect & we turned him into a HBF that didnt work out - and now we have drafted a bunch of HBFs that a lot of people here believe we might turn into great midfielders.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back