Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
This got me as well, so I followed it up a little last night.

One thing that I’ve heard come to me this morning from those in the industry is that the common rankings portrayed in the media are generally accurate to a point. The top guys pick themselves, but after that, often the public facing ‘experts’ like Twomey and others rely way to heavy on comments from either one or two clubs (who are more candid when speaking to them) or one recruiting manager, and it skews their rankings.

Take Brisbane taking Kai Lohman at 20. It was thought to be a large reach. Yet, multiple teams have since said they’d have taken him between 15 and 20 if they had the pick.

I think the Hawks were the team that was expected to take Banks with one of their early picks in the 20s. There may have been a few other teams that were looking to trade in. I think the belief was that teams who were keen on Brown (Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong) would turn to Banks as that sort of player and trade in.

I thought it was a crazy statement to, but turns out it wasnt that far-fetched.
Yep, it generally gets to about 15, sometimes 20 and then it just goes all over the shop.

The other thing when you follow Phantom Drafts is there is a lot of group think and then it appears there is a consensus order that the club must follow.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
OK so does this mean we're gonna try to play like Geelong?

Is our forward handball game really gone and stolen by the Essenflogs?

Nah our handball and surge game still works, it just needs tweaks.Three of the four preliminary finalist played some version of that style.

we were simply too injured and too exhausted. Our season only fell apart in the last quarter of the WCE game.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We

I heard we were ranked last or thereabouts for scores from kick-ins last season, suggesting that we were terrible transitioning from defence to our forward line because our terrible kicking skills from half-back in particular (midfield to forward line was also an issue, but our inside 50s dropped this season because of our kicking from half back IMO). Our selections do fill a need for better kicks on the wing and from half back.

Excited to see how this draft haul turns out for us
Yep.Whats the use of winning the contested ball and getting it out to someone who is average by foot and turning it over.
I'm sure Lynch & Jack would appreciate being hit on the tit rather than being mauled all the time.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Its good we have loaded up with defenders and half bank flankers, as our midfield will continue to be dominated and unable to win the contested ball, that's were the ball be most of the time.

We still have no one to stand up against the 1.9m high, 90kg+ midfielders of today which is our greatest weakness.
First to the ball first to use it whether your 6foot plus or just under 6foot...next year will tell us how good our mid field really is...developing and established...after all the injuries/finals campaigns/rule changes/frees against we had to endure...

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Nothing stays the same and if you do you fall to the wayside.
Cats failure during finals is more mental than anything.They clam up.Thats the difference.We have the confidence and the fact that we've won 3 flags too play attacking football no matter what.
We've identified the dogs as the path we should take going fwd.

Nick Daffy 10

Senior List
Apr 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Sure, if you want to pretend the GOAT doesn’t play for us, then this is true :rolleyes:
The GOAT is getting older, his dont argues are less effective and is being played forward. Who is going to be is support in the midfield or fill in we he is up forward?
We also have no idea how his kidney injury will affect him moving forward, im gonna be nervous every time he gets bumped now.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou

With Caracella, Leppitch and Rutten well and truly gone.

It means we will well and truly go back to the Dimma 2016 model. Enjoy.

Barnard

All Australian
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Don’t get the melts at all.. I’m not saying I can predict the future like some on here but surely what a guy like Will Martyn was doing at VFL level this year is more impressive than what some of these kids are doing in a 2 minute highlight reel against 17 year old boys. Same can be said for Dow, Ross, RCD. Personally I’m pretty happy with our haul, pick two similar players like Brown/Banks would have been my only query but maybe we see banks as a wingman.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Probably been asked and answered already, however I will ask again.

Do we have any Rookie spots open for this afternoon? Or are we done?
Two more spots open. Using one on Cumberland as a DFA, and the other on Biggy in the rookie draft.

Pickett or Stack to be upgraded to the senior list.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
So I heard the Bombers drafted McDonagh from our VFL side? Allow me to drop this meme again, Essendon just won't go away hey, despite finishing above us on the ladder.

1637878489633.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
A lot of spots will open up next year with the 'role players' more than likely coming to an end and some of our great older players likewise. A lot of salary space will open up and our next tier players will not be using up much of that just yet. Pencil in a free agent midfield star, which is possibly why we didn't go for that mid range midfield option kid in this draft. We went for class players so at least if they make it they will make it as bone fide AFL players, not players with weaknesses i.e the role player.

It also means we think that there is still enough legs in our established midfield to give it a good crack this year again. We also have a good many young midfielders on the rise that have either played good AFL footy, Ross, Stack or look likely to give it a go this year, RDC, Dow, Cumberland, Hugo maybe Martyn. Surely two or three of these players will demand a game each week this year. Some of them could really light it up.

They will also not come in as first gamers and will have a proper first full preseason in two years, which will include practice matches and preseason cup games to get up and running.

You have to be happy with 5 top 30 draft picks even if they are not what you think we needed. If 3 of the 5 make it, that is a great haul in one year.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond

AFL rule changes force Tigers to chase kicks
Michael Gleeson

By Michael Gleeson

Richmond have mined the national draft with five picks inside 30, not only to avoid the free fall that follows an era of success, but out of necessity after AFL rule changes.
Recent changes to the rules have forced the Tigers to chase elite kicks in the draft. Those rule changes have partly taken Richmond’s high-pressure forward line crush game away from them, and helped favour the transition game rebounding from half-back. That has forced the Tigers to go to the draft with a higher priority on the kicking skills of their recruits.
Josh Gibcus high-fives Judson Clarke at the AFL Draft Victoria training day at Trevor Barker Oval recently.

Josh Gibcus high-fives Judson Clarke at the AFL Draft Victoria training day at Trevor Barker Oval recently.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
Having taken an intercept marking defender in Josh Gibcus with their first pick in the first round, the Tigers attacked runners who could kick with their next four picks.
They got Tom Brown at 17 on Wednesday night, and then with three picks from 28 to 30 on Thursday night they took Tyler Sonsie, an inside midfielder in the Darcy Parish mould, Sam Banks from Tasmania, and quick goal-kicking small forward and midfielder Judson Clarke with their last pick.

Judson Clarke.

Judson Clarke.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
“We have got some parts of our list that we needed bolstering in terms of depth,” Richmond recruiting manager Matthew Clarke said.
“We have always had a bit of a focus on kicking, but we’ve played such a high-pressure style of footy that that hasn’t been as paramount [in recent years]. But with a slight change in the AFL rules maybe there’s a bit more of a focus on that [kicking], and these boys that we have brought in, particularly Brown, Banks and Clark – Sonsie is a good kick but he is more of a midfielder, a running type – that’s what we targeted with those three.
“I think it’s [the list has] had a bit of a tweak.
“I think there’s some data suggesting there’s a bit more attacking from the back half, rather than from the front half turnover. You’d like to play a front half turnover game, but if there is ball movement from the back half that is where you have got to have ball users to do that.”

Clarke said the Tigers had looked at the experiences of Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong in how they dealt with their lists after periods of success and wanted to attack this year’s draft to rejuvenate with youth after having secured players though free agency and trades in recent years.

“We targeted this draft as having some really good depth in the runners and obviously good key position players early. We wanted best available and it worked out really well that the best available for us was the big boy Josh [Gibcus].
“You have got to find that balance and we have taken some lessons out of some sides that have been successful, and obviously [the] Hawks and Cats and the Swans had some success there as well ... so we have looked at all those models and hopefully have taken a little bit out of everything and have that balance without going too heavy with one, with heavy in the draft, or heavy with trade and free agency.
“Hopefully we’ve been able to balance that with some free agents and trades that have come in over the last few years, and tonight we thought it was a good opportunity to add some talent.”
Until the AFL changes the rules again 🤦‍♂️

panatha1908

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Question is if they held onto 4 would that have prompted a bid in the top 3 just to burn their pick?
I think it would have been 2 as their natural pick which they would have kept given north wanted the publicity of the number 1 pick, so then daicos would have been bid on after their first pick giving them 2 top 5 picks (which is how to build that elite talent). No tears lost from me, just wish something like that would luck our way.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
We still have no one to stand up against the 1.9m high, 90kg+ midfielders of today which is our greatest weakness.
RCD is 191cm & 90kg
Jack Ross is 187cm & 85kg
They still just need time to develop and I expect will get a lot more game time in 2022
If anything, our draft haul this year shows signs of confidence in what's already on our list

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Until the AFL changes the rules again 🤦‍♂️
A back half transition game is something we can and will adjust to. Rioli's move down back might be the first piece of the puzzle. Hopefully this draft haul can take it further still. Good times ahead.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Its good we have loaded up with defenders and half bank flankers, as our midfield will continue to be dominated and unable to win the contested ball, that's were the ball be most of the time.

No point drafting 190cm+ mids if they can't run out a quarter or are one dimensional players. Stoppages are only one part of the game.

Given all our players are ranked elite or above average for athleticism and disposal, I daresay Hobbs was never on the radar.

It can't be a coincidence that all 5 players share the same athletic attributes - we clearly had a criteria for this draft so they can come through together and build the next wave.

It would seem like next offseason will be the trading for established needs approach.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
Have you ever seen one team go so hard on another?

Essendon is basically "The Thing" and all the victims are wearing Richmond guernseys.
We did win 3 flags n 4 years from a very low base - so we are the poster child for all s**t clubs, it gives them something to believe in.

Let the baby have its bottle.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I wanted to see us pick players with potential in an area that I thought we lacked in. That is what I was unhappy about because we didn’t do enough of that with our draft haul. I am aware that they both have questionable kicking but I believe they have the potential to address our contested needs and our need for height in the midfield. Whether or not they compete with an existing player wasn’t my concern.

Having said that, there is no point in arguing about this anymore given that I am starting to come around to the club’s decision after reading some articles on what their mindset was heading into the draft. They are trying to address our overall bad kicking skills with our draft haul by the looks of it and are probably just giving our existing developing mids and KPPs further opportunities next year. I am all for that so I’ll just back their decision and see what happens from there
No worries.
It seems that the club prioritised kicking and speed this draft. Knevitt and Goater had knocks on their kicking so I’m ok with that decision.

My view is whether we pick players that will actually make our side better.

Goater may be better than RCD long term but only marginally (and perhaps cost us RCD leaving the club as he doesn’t get games). Cotchin, Dusty and Prestia replacements were rare in this draft. They were all gone by the time we hit our second pick. Johnson was the one for me open at 17, but I’m not sure the knock on him that we didn’t rank him as highly. Perhaps they didn’t project him to be that starting three mid they wanted from a first rounder? Not sure.

All five players have the potential to come in and replace older players over time and be a core of the new team.

Gibcus- Grimes
Brown - Houli (but better defensively)
Sonsie - Lambert (but more ball winning). Maybe he turns into a transition mid to take Prestias role but I think Dow is earmarked for that.
Banks- Pickett (better with the ball but less physical).
Clarke- Aarts.

There’s no Cotchin replacement, or a Jack replacement. If we wanted to go down that route I think Hobbs or Amiss would have been our pick (although the later was unavailable there anyway).
Definitely something we need to address next year through free agency and trade.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
IMO there's little doubt we required at least one genuine backman considering Grimes and Tarrant only have a couple of years left. When we went all out on #1 pick and didn't get it the decision was obviously made by the club to look to the future. So we got in two players to fill future needs. We had the best backline in the League when we won those 3 flags and three of the best are already retired!

Of the rest of our selections, we may well also (future) need mids but the only mids left by our picks were far from the best in the draft, which means our midfield would still be rated as poor regardless. At our first pick, a mid would have been 5th or 6th in line. We didn't have #1 or #2 pick to find a new Cotch or Dusty.

So would we rather have two of the best KPD's available and put some work into the young mids we already have before our remaining guns retire or would we just throw our hands up and say our current young crop is no good and hope the ones we draft improve and overtake them? The former is the far better option.

And for those that think Balta can go forward, maybe now you'll get your wish.

Some people in here should be ashamed of themselves for not supporting our players and club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back