Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

peterand

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
They played 18 combined. Which was useful when Lynch, Riewoldt, Soldo, Toby missed games

Samson Ryan played 1, had zero stats & is now the only back up.

One of the dumbest questions i have had to answer on Bigfooty ever. How the fu** have so many of you forgot the season already?
Cause they are very ordinary players who decided to leave
Cheers

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
So how did we all go? From my draft options, I got 3 picked.

9 – Gibcus - Key defender (196cm/87kg)
17 – Sonsie – Midfielder (181cm/77kg)
28 - Taylor - Midfielder (180cm/74kg)
29 - Knevitt – Midfielder (193cm/81kg)
30 – Clarke – Small Forward (179cm/70kg)
Well done Clarkey!

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We rarely win it out of the midfield any more and its put us on the backfoot each time play starts. Brown, Clarke and Banks weakness were all listed as contested possessions, strength and tackling. Sonsie will get stronger and may have some speed but maybe outmuscled by the bigger mids. So I'm concerned that haven't improved on this area and there is every chance Hobbs could have helped. It will be interesting to see how Hobbs goes at Essendon as their midfield was crying out for a contested bull midfielder as well.

I'm not confident RCD & Ross will be good enough against the petraccas and bontempellis in the future as dusty gets older. There's no guarantee Hobbs could matched it with those guys either but there is also no guaranteed we can bring in a tarranto or green from GWS as others are hopeful of. Of course I hope RCD & Ross prove me wrong and get better next year with more game time.
Whilst being dominant or breaking even in the midfield is preferred, the game has become one of pressure, turnover, ball usage and efficiency. This draft was never going to bring in a Petracca or Bont, however on balance I think it delivered 5 athletic, skilled and versatile players.
With further development, they appear to be capable of playing multiple roles that compliment the current list to continue playing a system based game.
Opportunity will now be afforded to a number of developing mids and I back in our development of mids including Ross, Baker, RCD, Dow, Bolton, Graham, Martin, Stack, Ralphsmith, Rioli, including any of the 2021 crop that show promise.

:drunk:
Knightmare wasn’t a fan
F7DA57C0-3CA7-4822-A07D-0605373E2D2F.jpeg

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Richmond rolled an ambitious dice when they passed on Sonsie with their second pick, but to get him at 28 vindicates everything. Especially if Brown can turn into a Day-like classy defender/winger. Quality haul IMO.
welcome and no disrespect but who is this DAY u speak of ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Knightmare wasn’t a fan
View attachment 1287722

Yep.

On his thread though someone pointed out the draft where the Dees for Pickett and Jackson and he gave them D and Collingwood an A. KM agreed with the poster that a draft ranking is basically 'how close was the draft to where I placed players at'. And often he is wrong. Pointed out that good teams tend to develop young guys well (Geelong??) and poor teams develop player poorly.

Personally what I see we have done is picked for speed and kicking + an A grade KP, and really placed a premium on their top end potential. If we can develop these guys well we will have a heap of speed and kicking skills + toughness and leadership + a great spine.

So from that I expect us to change our game plan up towards more speed and kicking. I'm sure the forward handball won't disappear, but going for 60m plays is more likely.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
welcome and no disrespect but who is this DAY u speak of ?

Will Day, who is pure class. I see some similarities in Brown. Essentially he's the guy you want the ball in the hands of as much as possible.

Edit: also someone Richmond were very keen on in his draft year. You'd have taken him if we, or Port, didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
…by choosing players with elite kicking skills.
Not really a new thing…being able to kick the ball 🤔

Definitely not. The only issue would be if it swayed them away from picking an inside genuine ball winner instead of an extra outside rebounding type. And the player turns out worse.

We will probably never know.

chriso11

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Blues get an A for taking one player in Motlop LOL
Same as GC with Andrew

Only 4 teams got A+, Tigers, Freo, Eagles and Dees (sorry but no hope Dees 3 picks get you an A+, Jacob Van Rooyen (19), Blake Howes (39), Taj Woewodin (65)

Eagles did ok with Bazzo and Williams and Chesser but that's not an A+ haul
The hawks got Ward, Butler and MacDonald and were given a grade of A (i thought they did better than both the Eagles & Dees).

RICHMOND

Picks (at the start of draft):
7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

Grade: A+

Dumbest article.
Lowest rating they gave a club was C+, many got A+. Bit like auskick where everyone is a winner. I’d like to see a bell curve and some detailed evaluation criteria spelled out, including criteria weighting and a regression analysis with previous draft performance based on player profiles

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Good summary. Perhaps the Cotchin replacement is already there, Ross, RCD, Dow. Obviously not the same quality, that would be unrealistic unless you had drafted this year Horne Francis or Callaghan. No one else in this draft looks in that class. Martin, Cotchin, Delidio types are only in the top few in the draft in general.
The list management team rate the young mids coming up.

Ross, RCD, Dow, Martyn are the four that should be consolidating a spot next yearZ

RCD takes Cotchins role as he eases into retirement. Dow plays the Prestia transition role and there is enough for Prestia and him in the side. Both need to improve but I believe they have talent and will be given opportunity.

Ross and Martyn are the two that may be challenged to move forward longer term.

Hopefully they develop further and are mainstays in our successful team long term.

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Spot on, I just dont get the negativity. We have blown this draft out of the water.

Clarke plays high half forward, has a tank and even can push up and support the midfield- Perfect Lambert replacement who made his name by playing high up the ground and using his work rate, just Clarke has a better penetrating kick and is a fantastic decision maker. He also hits targets and is known for his running game, he like lambert runs all day

Banks - Think of Broad but also has the ability to also push up on the wing, has fantastic speed, great tank and makes the right decisions on field either by hand or foot

Sonsie - feb 2021 was rated as high as a number 1 pick by son, top 5 by most. We have just replaced Cotchin but this lad can actually be damaging forward and kick goals.

Brown - We have now found a McIntosh replacement. He can run all day, a beauty by foot, makes good decisions but also can play back when needed. I cant wait to see Brown on one wing and Dow for example on the other.

Gibcus- Is Grimes replacement. A freak of an athlete that could be anything

So we have addressed needs while also bringing in high end talent. Have injected depth in our backline. Depth to our wings and added a quality mid who slots in with the quality of RCD, Dow, and Graham to support our established mids.

I am stoked. Next year we go KPF and inside mid hunting
Our picks this year seem to suggest there is something in the works for next year trade wise. Any rumours or backroom chatter you have on some trade targets?

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Knightmare thinks D+ is the highest rating you can get as its the best he's ever got from a girl. That score was boosted by the fact he was paying them also.
Dude is a Collingwood supporter though isn't he? Pretty sure he has a huge bias against us even though they basically just went through our coaching cupboard and took what we had.

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
Knightmare wasn’t a fan
View attachment 1287722

Guy clearly has a bone to pick. I posted this in his thread.

In his last phantom draft Knightmare had:

Gibcus at 11th, drafted 9th
Brown at 18th, drafted 17th
Sonsie at 23rd, drafted 28th
Banks at 43rd, drafted 29th
Clarke at 31st, drafted 30th

How does that equal a D+? I've been critical of the draft but worst I'd give it is a C+ or a B lol

Last edited:

How does that equal a D+? I've been critical of the draft but worse I'd give it is a C+ or a B lol
Yeah it’s very odd
Even the fact his opening line is that we set out to replace Astbury and Houli

That’s exactly what we did so we achieved our goals with adequate players but somehow it’s a D

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers

How does that equal a D+? I've been critical of the draft but worse I'd give it is a C+ or a B lol

If you encourage an IT geek to have an opinion this is the result unfortunately

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The list management team rate the young mids coming up.

Ross, RCD, Dow, Martyn are the four that should be consolidating a spot next yearZ

RCD takes Cotchins role as he eases into retirement. Dow plays the Prestia transition role and there is enough for Prestia and him in the side. Both need to improve but I believe they have talent and will be given opportunity.

Ross and Martyn are the two that may be challenged to move forward longer term.

Hopefully they develop further and are mainstays in our successful team long term.
I think Ross is a very good player. Has had a very disjointed time in the last two seasons, half back, wing etc. Ball winner and very good distributer by hand and probably our best tackler in the middle. (Cotchin aside). And he has a point to prove. Don't underestimate Cumberland as well. He played forward after his knee but was drafted as a midfielder. Super competitive and a super athlete. Reckon he will surprise most of all this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back