Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

He genuinely rates Leek Alleer as better than Gibcus, which is where a lot of it comes from.

KM is interesting. But he follows his own version of the world. OK, go ahead and do that. He's a good draft watcher, but not a seer. A few other good draft watchers on BF. When they agree you know you've got something. They often disagree and that can be interesting.

But the rating of club drafting is basically how different to my predictions were they. With A+ being doing what I said and D being not doing what I said. So in some ways it's more of a grading of the draft watcher (KM in this case) against reality - and he was not that near actual reality in our case.

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I totally agree.
Also Hocking should not have been allowed to go to Geelong for at least two years.
It shows he was potentially biased and also he has inside information that could assist Geelong.

Agree. The AFL has no concept of conflict of interest or if they do, they don't give a *. So either inept, or corrupt (knowingly ignoring conflicts of interest is corruption as far as I'm concerned). I don't think they are that inept.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Good summary. Perhaps the Cotchin replacement is already there, Ross, RCD, Dow. Obviously not the same quality, that would be unrealistic unless you had drafted this year Horne Francis or Callaghan. No one else in this draft looks in that class. Martin, Cotchin, Delidio types are only in the top few in the draft in general.
I don’t agree. I looked at the vision of Sonsie and I immediately thought Cotchin. He looks a really classy player who excels at the clearance side of the game, just like Cotch.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Aren’t we only taking Cumberland and Biggie in the rookie draft though?

The issue with the midfield isn’t in the short term for me. It is when the likes of Lambert, Cotchin and Edwards retire. Our contested game is rubbish with our current midfield group to begin with even with Cotchin etc. so I worry about our contested game when our senior midfielders retire. I don’t think the group of Martyn, Ralphsmith, RCD, Ross, Bolton, and Graham will be close to the best contested group in the league and that is what we are relying upon for the next generation.

We have midfielders, but we don’t have many contested beasts in the next generation. That’s the most disappointing aspect of this draft as we needed to select Sonsie and another tall contested midfielder.

I still like the individual players that we picked though so it is not a bad draft. Hopefully we address this in the next few years

Always drafts, FA and trading to address this. Our contested game was fine in big finals, so I put it down to coaching/fitness/injuries in 2021. All players need to be replaced but the guys you mentioned were all drafted in the first 6 picks (except for Lambert). We didn't have access to them and haven't for a while in the draft so getting guys that won't be as good doesn't necessarily alleviate the situation. We may need to trade for ready-made ones (in the short term) or improve our draft hand to move up the order (or get crap results and move up naturally ;) ). The big bodied contested types often come more developed anyway anddon't take as long to come on....

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Always drafts, FA and trading to address this. Our contested game was fine in big finals, so I put it down to coaching/fitness/injuries in 2021. All players need to be replaced but the guys you mentioned were all drafted in the first 6 picks (except for Lambert). We didn't have access to them and haven't for a while in the draft so getting guys that won't be as good doesn't necessarily alleviate the situation. We may need to trade for ready-made ones (in the short term) or improve our draft hand to move up the order (or get crap results and move up naturally ;) ). The big bodied contested types often come more developed anyway anddon't take as long to come on....
Yeah there is definitely time to rectify the problems we face. Either RCD and Ross destroy the competition and we’re all happy or we’ll get them through the draft, trade, free agency etc. It will be interesting to see how it turns out!

Tiger08

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I just hope these kids make our VFL team really good again. Thats where it starts. As another poster said.. if we're anywhere near contending (for one last year) 18 year old kids probably don't even play.

Would JHF walk straight into the Dees' team? Doubt it. Maybe just as a bit player. Aside from him, Daicos and maybe Callaghan.. everyone else is playing VFL for the Dees round 1.

I remember being excited that Lids and Tambling would line up Round 1 freshly drafted.. thats what you do when you're down the bottom. We're not there yet.. maybe 2024 or 2025 that's where well be.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I was more referring to our unproven mids. ROUND 1 our midfield will be : Cotch, Dusty, Edwards, Lambert, Prestia, Bolton, Graham…. so none of RCD, Dow, Ross, Martyn or Sonsie will play. (one ‘might’ play…)

I do expect 1-2 of Gibcus, Banks, Clarke or Brown to play Round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we have a fully fit side, none of the new boys will get a game. Let's not get carried away, they are just kids coming into one of the best systems in the league, hard enough for those that have been knocking the door down, much less newby's. They are all so skinny right now as well.
I don’t agree. I looked at the vision of Sonsie and I immediately thought Cotchin. He looks a really classy player who excels at the clearance side of the game, just like Cotch.
He looks a very smooth mover and a good clearance player because he is quick and balanced. Reminds me more of a Neale type. Either way he does look like he knows how to play and looks a good addition to the midfield because he is not like Ross, RCD, Dow etc.

Like the draft haul we ended up with and it shows a that we're happy to give the likes of RCD Dow Ross Martyn a chance to establish themselves as the next midfield unit. The other thing was addition of some more speed but also some real skill on the outside. I also think that we've gone the right path by not chasing the KPP that were on the board with our picks in the 20s despite how tempting they seemed to be given our need for some KPF talent coming through.

I think we are going to be absolutely desperate at the end of 2022 for a KPF with Riewoldt retiring.

I think taking the ones that were available would have been better moves.

I'd be a lot more comfortable if our first picks were Gibcus and Van Rooyen rather than Brown. Williams could have been an option in the 30s too.
The call we made was strategic, not talent based. The list managers basically started we wanted rebounding, good kicks. That's a strategic not best available call.

That's not a knock on Brown or Banks as an individual, just the type of player is not who I think we needed ahead of a versatile and well rated tall.
Where has it been stated JR is retiring at the end of 2022? Why don’t we see how Jack performs before we pension him off. I think Jack can play for at least 2 more years. JVR was not worth an early pick by us, and if the club had thought so he was available.

Where has it been stated JR is retiring at the end of 2022? Why don’t we see how Jack performs before we pension him off. I think Jack can play for at least 2 more years. JVR was not worth an early pick by us, and if the club had thought so he was available.

When Jack re-signed a few months ago he said "i've signed on for one more year". Course, he can always change his mind.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
If we have a fully fit side, none of the new boys will get a game. Let's not get carried away, they are just kids coming into one of the best systems in the league, hard enough for those that have been knocking the door down, much less newby's. They are all so skinny right now as well.

He looks a very smooth mover and a good clearance player because he is quick and balanced. Reminds me more of a Neale type. Either way he does look like he knows how to play and looks a good addition to the midfield because he is not like Ross, RCD, Dow etc.

He to me looks a combo of Cotchin and Axel Foley as he’s super quick. And elite both sides of body. Can’t believe he got to #28. Only ongoing injury issues can stop him being a terrific player from what I’ve seen, and maybe that’s why he slid….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apr 7, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Like the draft haul we ended up with and it shows a that we're happy to give the likes of RCD Dow Ross Martyn a chance to establish themselves as the next midfield unit. The other thing was addition of some more speed but also some real skill on the outside. I also think that we've gone the right path by not chasing the KPP that were on the board with our picks in the 20s despite how tempting they seemed to be given our need for some KPF talent coming through.
We can easily just continue to draft like we have until the window shuts and if it does shut next year we will be minted with a top 5 pick, and two great second rounders. If we are contending, we can just load up on where we are weakest on free agents with Cotchin and Riewoldt most likely going.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Forgot to mention earlier but can we take some time to appreciate the coverage of the draft by the AFL. 90 seconds highlight packages of half the players in the draft pool, interviewing a player (Sonsie) and asking who the blokes beside him was (McDonald) when he was literally two picks before him.

******* embarrassing from a supposedly professional organisation.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It's probably still a huge need even if JR goes on another year, so the point would remain. We have as close to zero genuine KPF depth as a list can have. There's nothing obvious beyond a 33 year old and a 29 year old on the list.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
It's probably still a huge need even if JR goes on another year, so the point would remain. We have as close to zero genuine KPF depth as a list can have. There's nothing obvious beyond a 33 year old and a 29 year old on the list.
Did you look at the list before posting that
Gibbo
Balta
Miller
Ryan
Nyon
What’s melb kpp depth or the cats

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
So one rating I saw gave us an A+ and ESPN gives us a D+ ?
#draftratingfarce

Richmond
Picks: 9, 17, 28, 29, 30

Players drafted: Josh Gibcus, Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks, Judson Clarke

Grade: D+

Rationale: Richmond searched for long term replacements for retired duo David Astbury and Bachar Houli and believe they have found two with the additions of Gibcus as a high leaping key defender and Brown as a speedy rebounding defender. Within the industry, Gibcus and Brown are commonly rated highly, picks 9 and 17 is a lot to pay for a key defender and a rebounding defender who may not be the best at their respective positions at the picks they were taken. Sonsie, as a skilful midfielder, and Clark, as a speedy, classy kicking small forward, were picked in the range expected, though Banks, a rebounding defender, was selected earlier than predicted.

Back