Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other player types/positions are more valuable to the clubs .
Wrong !!!

KPD/ KPF are worth their weight in gold , Mids unless they are Dusty , Petracca , Fyfe are a dime a dozen and a player like Hobbs who got overlooked by 12 clubs could easily be another Worpel

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He was highly ranked because of the dearth of KPD in the draft.
Besides that, KPD's don't usually go in the first round .But hopefully he's as good as Jordan Ridley.
Rance, Lever, Moore, May, Hurley have dominated the KPD AA positions in recent years. The good ones go early.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Rance, Lever, Moore, May, Hurley have dominated the KPD AA positions in recent years. The good ones go early.
They all went after pick 14.
I'm saying Gibcus was a late first rounder but we took him earlier because there weren't many other KPD available and we needed a KPD.
It is said to be a good draft so he will be good .

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm saying Gibcus was a late first rounder but we took him earlier because there weren't many other KPD available and we needed a KPD.

The giants apparently thinking about Gibcus (and Andrew) at live pick two gives me some confidence. Ditto trying to trade for the freo draft pick for Gibcus. (before reaching for aller)

A Moore or Weitering would be very handy - hopefully he has that type of ceiling (?)

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The giants apparently thinking about Gibcus (and Andrew) at live pick two gives me some confidence. Ditto trying to trade for the freo draft pick for Gibcus. (before reaching for aller)

A Moore or Weitering would be very handy hopefully he's for that type of ceiling (?)
He looks like he has a good leap and he is said to read the ball well.
I don't like his long neck, he needs to bulk his neck up.

1_AA251121QR744047467.jpeg

Serenity_Now

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
They took Gibcus because he was the best rated player available at our pick, has nothing to do with him being a KPD.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Certainly wasn’t as a junior. Saw a lot of him in school footy for Caulfield in the APS and he dominated with kids literally hanging off him. Bad club at a really bad time was the Crows. If we could get Macasey I would be rapt.

I think it was in regards to his sandy footy but the source is dodgy.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli

moore went at 9 and Hurley went at 5 and lever was expected to go at 1 but did an ACL.

Certainly wasn’t as a junior. Saw a lot of him in school footy for Caulfield in the APS and he dominated with kids literally hanging off him. Bad club at a really bad time was the Crows. If we could get Macasey I would be rapt.

And at AFL level they need time - to call time now..... only a fool ;) !

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the ‘Uber elite’ mids show it early, but often that next rung down take a little time. Let’s not forget RCD only debuted this year and played 9 games averaging 15 touches. Did you know he was 33rd in the entire AFL for average centre clearances? And Dow is 2-years in and has played 7 games … I think he has shown some excellent signs. Him not playing when undermanned was probably more not to expose him too early than anything else given he’d played little footy.

If you think of A-grade mids in the last decade or so who’ve not shown elite traits or anything better than Dow or RCD in their first few seasons… here’s a few:

Jobe Watson
Jack Steele
Matthew Boyd
Josh Kennedy (Syd)
Darcy Parish
Luke Shuey
Jarryd Lyons
Elliott Yeo
Taylor Adams
Josh Dunkley
Touk Miller

Even Ollie Wines was playing SANFL 18-months ago.

So it’s way too early to consign RCD, Dow or Ross to busts or B-grade at best players. They might end up like that, but they deserve a lot more opportunity to prove themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't disagree with that - RCD & Dow could certainly grow to be some of these names above, although i think the reality is they would be in the lower half of that list of names you mentioned. More than happy to be proven wrong. I definitely don't think tho we have our next Dusty or Cotchin yet. Not even sure if we have our next Prestia level midfielder tbh.

Every midfield in the league has "Good" or "Very Good" midfielders. The ones that win flags tend to have a in their prime Dusty, Pertracca, Bont, Cousins, Judd, Pendles etc. It was this argument that made Tom Mitchell a enticing prospect for us, as Dusty should still be in his prime, but with the detoriation of Cotchin, Prestia & even Edwards body due to age and injury - we might not have the quality around him to capitalise on those remaining year(s), especially as Dusty spends more time forward than most Mids. Mitchell was the injection of the quality of player we needed to get us back up there. Not playing RCD & Dow more in the 2nd half of 2021 limited our chances of one those 2 making the leap to at least the next tier too.

I'm certainly not saying we should junk our 2022, but people need to curb their enthusiasm and expectations on our chances. We are relying on Dimma totally reinventing this team to the point where we can compete despite our midfield being a level below. I would say our midfield atm is around mid-table

Back