Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Erasmus is a mid/forward .Sheldrick a mid. You get my point though?
Not many mids taken from pick 4 to 20 odd.
If people want to believe that we and other clubs took the best available at every pick they can.
I’m not sure what your point is?
JHF, Callaghan, Daicos, Ward were all mids who were picked before our pick.
We had the choice of a second tier mid in the draft that would have been the 5th mid off the board or the best key position defender available.

You talk of picking up the 5th best mid in the draft as a Cotchin replacement. If we wanted that sort of quality, it wasn’t picking Hobbs. Reckon he will be industrious and reliable, but no Brownlow medal, all Australian, 3 x best and fairest.
We needed pick 1 or 2 in this draft to have any hope of getting a player to get even close to that sort of impact on our team and club.

I’m not sure what your point is?
JHF, Callaghan, Daicos, Ward were all mids who were picked before our pick.
We had the choice of a second tier mid in the draft that would have been the 5th mid off the board or the best key position defender available.

You talk of picking up the 5th best mid in the draft as a Cotchin replacement. If we wanted that sort of quality, it wasn’t picking Hobbs. Reckon he will be industrious and reliable, but no Brownlow medal, all Australian, 3 x best and fairest.
We needed pick 1 or 2 in this draft to have any hope of getting a player to get even close to that sort of impact on our team and club.
I agree with what you're saying apart from the best available mid being second tier ,as it was apparantly a deep quality draft for mids.
I think a few clubs bypassed these mids so they would not miss out on a tall and have a hole on their list.
If one or two of our picks 28 to 30 become quality mids then we've done very well.

I agree with what you're saying apart from the best available mid being second tier ,as it was apparantly a deep quality draft for mids.
I think a few clubs bypassed these mids so they would not miss out on a tall and have a hole on their list.
There was a widespread belief there were two tiers of quality at the top end of the draft, then a more even spread from 15ish onwards.

The top tier was JHF, Callaghan, Daicos. Hobbs, Ward, Erasmus, Johnson made up the second tier. This was evident by the ridiculous offers put to North and GWS for the first two live picks. Yes it seems that there were four decent mids in that second tier, but for any of them to be Cotchin quality replacements, it says a hell of a lot about that first tier of three mids above them.

The clubs that bypassed mids were Gold Coast who went the boom pick for a potential superstar in Mac Andrew.

Adelaide, St Kilda, Port all went flankers over mids, not talls.

Freo picked the best tall forward in the draft and complemented that with a mid two picks later. We picked the best KPD in the draft. None of these seem to show evidence to suggest there was a trend to overlook mids to fill holes in clubs lists because they needed talls.

3 top shelf mids, two second tier quality mids, the top shelf key forward, the second tier quality key forward, the standout medium forward, the standout ruck unicorn, and the standout key defender rounded out the top ten.

That’s a pretty standard makeup of a top ten in AFL drafts.

It was well known to be a strong deep draft with brackets of 1/ Horne-Smith,Daicos,Darcy 2/ Callihan 3 / Quality through to pick 35
Were you not claiming that we made a mistake picking the best defender that was rated at pick #2 and pick #3 by GC & GWS
And now You are saying this is an extremely good draft ?

So we picked a top 3 pick in a extremely strong draft at pick #9

Were you not claiming that we made a mistake picking the best defender that was rated at pick #2 and pick #3 by GC & GWS
And now You are saying this is an extremely good draft ?

So we picked a top 3 pick in a extremely strong draft at pick #9
I think we could have got a defender next year.

I think not at the quality of Gibcus which was rated the best KPD over a mid that went at pick #13 after 4 other mids and a hand full of flankers
Your projection of Hobbs is extremely unlikely for a 183cm physically developed mid that lacks pace

We picked up a fantastic KPD at pick #9 that is the best defender in the draft

So who is the defenders in next years draft that you believe to be as good ? Considering its a very good draft fr KP Fowards which by the way we need

The idea that its an argument between Gibcus & Hobbs is a bit silly. The real conversation question here was how hard we tried to trade up once we saw that he was sliding. How good is Hobbs ? Is he good enough that we should have given up 17 & our future 1st? Or 17, 28 & 30 etc?c

Same applies to getting the mid your after next year via the draft or trade/FA.
Least with Gibcus we're one year ahead in his development.

In the Phantom drafts that go on the best players ,not what clubs will pick, Hobbs was always near the top.
We picked Gibcus on needs as there weren't many kpd in the draft.
Phantom Drafts are a result of 'Group Think' from people who watch a 2 minute highlight package.

The only true result is the AFL National draft which has full time professionals observing players

Phantom Drafts are a result of 'Group Think' from people who watch a 2 minute highlight package.

The only true result is the AFL National draft which has full time professionals observing players
For a lot of the phantom drafts I agree, however there are a few fairly dedicated talent watchers on here and in the media that are is at least worth paying some attention to. It is a little ridiculous those who know nothing about the talent pool criticising our full time recruiting team though on how we should have taken certain players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we just wait at least 2 years before we start making a decision on our draft performance either way? If even one 1 year isn’t enough time to judge, then a week or so after the draft certainly isn’t either.

And yes, I’m aware that I’m likely to contradict myself next year lol, but that’s not the point

People said the same thing about Carlton cutting our lunch and taking Liam Stocker who’s pre draft reports also look very similar to Hobb’s yet the pre draft ready made midfield bull is get to fire a shot or even really have a crack in one of the youngest midfields in the comp and been relegated to playing off half back
Stocker's main weakness is his endurance. Hobbs has a good tank, but lacks explosiveness.

So, we went hard at Jason Horne Francis with two firsts, a second and CCJ. Knocked back.

Then we went hard at Callaghan with our first and a future first. Knocked back.

Finally we chose Gibcus and then went hard for Pick 11 off Saints, Pick 12 off the Eagles and Pick 13 off Essendon to get Hobbs. What a get that would have been. All three deals knocked back.

I only mention this because of the flogging our recruiters received here in our draft forums for "sitting on their hands" while other teams did seemingly earth shattering deals. The truth is our recruiters had a plan (apparently several) and were bending over backwards to try to win the draft and get the guns. As I said in the lead up, nobody was going to be doing Richmond any favours, making their job twice as hard.

In light of this we took home the best KPD in the draft who many thought might go at Pick 2/3, a super talented XFactor mid, a dynamic XFactor small forward (with a lovely left foot -hooray!) and two cracking modern prototype, slingshot half back/wingers who are fast and great kicks.

Plus a solid draft hand next year with our first and second intact and North's second, probably Pick 19-21.

Thanks for coming Jack.

I get a strong feeling there’ll be 2 x clubs who end up feeling violently ill over this years draft:

1. Freo for taking Amiss over Gibcus.

2. Saints for taking Milera over Sinn/Hobbs.

It’s how I felt when we took Conca over Heppell when Heppell seemed such an obvious pick.

Sometimes players just scream ‘10-year’ locked and loaded gun and Gibcus and Hobbs do that. Amiss and Milera might be guns too …. but both would worry me and I’m glad we avoided them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back