Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
When you say strong draft for mids i think you need to stipulate what you mean by mids, Are you talking about all mids or inside mids ?
You could say Brown,Banks & Clarke are also mids then Richmond actually drafted 4 mids and 1 KPD But if you are meaning inside mids like i think you are then it really was not that great a draft for mids with only Ward Hobbs & Sheldrick available after the JHD/Daicos/Callaghan players who were unavailable at any cost inside top 20. there was also 6 players over 193cm taken in the top 20 and the rest are flankers
Top 20
6 KPP
6 mids
8 flankers
There was the top 4 and then fairly deep from there until the late 30's from what I read.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
There was the top 4 and then fairly deep from there until the late 30's from what I read.
Forget about the top 4 as it has no bearing on our selections

Taking away the flankers & hybrid fwd/backs who are the genuine mids you talk about ? I would say lucky to be 10 genuine mids
Goater is not a genuine mid but more HB that was played mid but not sure if he makes it at AFL level
Knevitt is similar with foward traits and birth players get away playing mid at junior level due to size/height
Sheldrick i rate as a mid but also a small fwd

Johnson , Hobbs , Ward , JHF , Daicos , Callaghan , MacDonald , Sonsie
8 genuine mids inside 30 max 10

Hardly a deep draft for pure mids

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I would have taken Hobbs with our first pick and Leek Aleer or other with another pick or got a kpd next year if the good ones ran out.
Gibcus won't be a regular in our current premiership window, but Hobbs could of been and he would have pushed the other mids to improve to retain their spot.
I don't like using top ten picks on KPDs.
But that's just my opinion.
No one's opinion is wrong until we find out who can play in a few years time.
Thanks for your response.

To get Aleer we would have had to jump ahead of GWS at 17. Considering Essendon declined 19 and 28 for their pick, what extra would you have offered them to trade up to their pick and get Alleer? Another second rounder?

Good article. But short sighted in that we have been rebuilding the squad for years. And this year we aimed at a certain type. We were filling out the squad with what it missed. Bar a high level KPF, which wasn't available, maybe 2022.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Its a good write up and mostly correct but i think we are 4-5 players still short of completing a 'rebuild'
the 2022 draft has some really good KPF and we will most likely need to take 2-3 KPF in the next 2 years and we are really still needing another 2 mid's that are the bigger bodied inside accumulator types.

Personally i believe the best case would be take the KPP in the 2022 draft and the following year look at the mids through Free agency
But we wont see the bad days of lingering on the bottom for long periods gain (hopefully)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
My issue is that we have a heap of young incoming players that don't appear to gel with the senior side...
We have a new incoming assist coach as well...
We have a heap of senior players returning to the side from injury...
Hardwick has a tonne of work to do to remold all these players into a Finals challenging side...

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
good point on the gelling,especially Ross & RCD when they come into the team,maybe its the coaching directives theyre given ? but i agree
its as tho theres some stifling ther for sure,go with what your eyes tell u i say.
Not so much an issue yet with HRS,Dow & Cumberland as theyve played so little,so 'll be interesting how they look when given a good hit at it
Interesting to note that Chol & CCJ were given 4 years to get on the same page as the senior group and we saw how that turns out if ya dont
Mansell seems to have the core groups tick atm,same for Castagna & Aarts tho lack of finishing and lack of natural class can only be tolerated for so
long if you dont have any tricks
Only time will tell i guess

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
traditionally prior to covid hardwick gave the kids the chance to impress after decent VFL for for a period of time and players were more comfortable when they got their chance. With Covid things changed and kids didnt get regular game time and struggled when the chance came Martyn , RCD , Ross,Ryan etc

Hopefully kids will get decent game time at both AFL/VFL level to get consistency and confidence and can step straight up as most now have developed bodies and should have decent tank to play out games

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
traditionally prior to covid hardwick gave the kids the chance to impress after decent VFL for for a period of time and players were more comfortable when they got their chance. With Covid things changed and kids didnt get regular game time and struggled when the chance came Martyn , RCD , Ross,Ryan etc

Hopefully kids will get decent game time at both AFL/VFL level to get consistency and confidence and can step straight up as most now have developed bodies and should have decent tank to play out games
They have missed a lot of footy, so they didn't get the development to previous years, but I am not sure we can be calling RCD, Ross or Ryan 'kids'. They all will be 22 next year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
They have missed a lot of footy, so they didn't get the development to previous years, but I am not sure we can be calling RCD, Ross or Ryan 'kids'. They all will be 22 next year.
Still kids mate 22 is still a baby and not too many actually become regular players until then unless they are top quality juniors or playing in s**t teams

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Still kids mate 22 is still a baby and not too many actually become regular players until then unless they are top quality juniors or playing in sh*t teams
Semantics really. I can just picture sitting around a BBQ chugging beers with these three guys and certainly not thinking they are 'kids'.
I guess it is simply a mindset of inexperience, so I get the reference.
For me, a regular top quality junior who is playing senior footy at 18/ 19, perhaps 20, is still a kid. Then they are not. A player that hasn't developed, but is 21, is not a kid.
As I said, just semantics. What can I say? It's the off-season and dk I'm bored!!

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Still kids mate 22 is still a baby and not too many actually become regular players until then unless they are top quality juniors or playing in sh*t teams
@22 if your a mid and not a regular your in a bit of trouble.Now there is an out for us as our side up until 21 was a very hard side to break into however if you struggled to stay in the side in the back half of 21 then your in trouble.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Interesting to hear what we proposed to other clubs in the trade period.

While North will undoubtably be happy with keeping JHF, our proposed picks for trade netted- Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie and an early 20s pick next year (for CCJ).

I’m quite buoyant on all three being good players for us for a long time, and the early 20s pick next year is a bonus as well.

While I’d prefer to keep our draft haul as it stands now, I can also see why we offered it to North for JHF. He looks like he will be a gun player.

northeasttiger

Senior List
Sep 19, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Richmond
Rance type backmen only come around every couple of drafts, there are sometimes 3-4 quality midfielders each draft so when a quality defender falls to your pick it is wise to grab that player.

( yes making the Rance comparison is a big call but after seeing some of the highlights and reports he wont be far off )

I am happy we picked Gibcus over Hobbs

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Rance type backmen only come around every couple of drafts, there are sometimes 3-4 quality midfielders each draft so when a quality defender falls to your pick it is wise to grab that player.

( yes making the Rance comparison is a big call but after seeing some of the highlights and reports he wont be far off )

Absolutely. His main attributes are screaming elite to me, marking, endurance, height, speed, ability to intercept and very good one on one as Darcy will testify to. Doesn’t lack confidence either. I think he’s going to be an outstanding player for us myself, here’s hoping anyway, but he’s got the right strengths in his game

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Absolutely. His main attributes are screaming elite to me, marking, endurance, height, speed, ability to intercept and very good one on one as Darcy will testify to. Doesn’t lack confidence either. I think he’s going to be an outstanding player for us myself, here’s hoping anyway, but he’s got the right strengths in his game
Yeah but but can Gibcus ride a skate board like the great man could...

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Matt Clarke still has a grin from ear to ear after nabbing Sonsie at 28

Back