Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Forget that Edwards then. Who can we target with our MSD pick?
I like the sound of Cody Raak in the NAB league so far. Playing a 192cm CHB intercept/rebound role. Not sure whether he could play key position at AFL level, maybe suited to a third tall but he's dominated a few games in that role with good vision, intercept marking and kicking.

Ewan McPherson, Joel Trudgeon and Oliver Davis seem like strong midfield options but it's hard to read any elite traits that would translate to AFL from their write-ups. Davis was playing in the Tassie league but apparently will play SANFL at the request of the Crows.

Yeah we don’t want to be reaching for a kpf in this draft. Just take the best player available and we try full the holes later.

We have too many holes to be picky. Get the best midfielder available and then if we can somehow get another top pick we can look to take that KPF.

Forget that Edwards then. Who can we target with our MSD pick?

Cody Raak has been extremely promising as an intercepting and rebounding defender. Slightly undersized at 192cm. Plays like Sicily. Probably not a high priority.

Luke Cleary is playing a bit like Will Day and is a similar size. Again probably not a priority.

Dylan Thomas shows promising signs as a classy small forward. Not the quickest but he has that ability to find time, and has been really good at lowering the eyes and hitting up targets. Reminds me a bit of Chad.

Will Papley is fairly low production but very high pressure as a small forward. Brother of Tom.

Lachlan Carrigan still hasn’t played a game due to injury but remains a favourite of mine. 190cm wingman with serious jets and kicking skills to rival Hill. Just hasn’t been able to get on the park and was low production in his under 16 year.

There’s a lot of midfielders. Doultree and D’Angelo probably the best of the bunch. Probably both second round picks in an open draft.

Isn't the NAB Academy playing a VFL side this week? Could have a few players showcase their skills and be MSD worthy.

Playing the Geelong reserves, I believe.

I like the sound of Cody Raak in the NAB league so far. Playing a 192cm CHB intercept/rebound role. Not sure whether he could play key position at AFL level, maybe suited to a third tall but he's dominated a few games in that role with good vision, intercept marking and kicking.

Cody Raak has been extremely promising as an intercepting and rebounding defender. Slightly undersized at 192cm. Plays like Sicily. Probably not a high priority.

Luke Cleary is playing a bit like Will Day and is a similar size. Again probably not a priority.

Not more half back flankers please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d prefer they were midfielders who can play elsewhere. Not flankers who play a bit of midfield.
I’d prefer any player who’s good by foot and has some speed. Beggars can’t be choosers. I hate watching most of our current crop. We just need to draft talent in at every possible opportunity. If that means putting Sicily on long term injury list, while he might be a chance to play later in season just do it. Draft a couple of good 19 year olds that were unlucky cos they missed last year. This talent available in mid year draft won’t happen again. But they better be quick and can kick. The footskills in our team atm make any game plan impossible to implement

19s-april-png.1102550

Zavier Maher

STRENGTHS:
  • Explosive speed
  • Strength
  • Contested work
  • Metres gained
  • Kick penetration
  • Leadership

19s-april-png.1102550

Zavier Maher

STRENGTHS:
  • Explosive speed
  • Strength
  • Contested work
  • Metres gained
  • Kick penetration
  • Leadership

He's been injured so hasn't been able to show his wares yet. If I'm not mistaken he may have trained with Carlton in the offseason but they overlooked him. The player profile sounds like exactly what we need in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back