Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Best available, but it has to be someone with pace and footskills. Perhaps even a dangerous forward.

I’m not taking a 19yr old ruck in the mid season draft unless they’re absolutely one out of the box. We don’t need a 19yr old Lowden or Pittonet that’s just going to sit behind Reeves. That would be kinda pointless unless their cieling was immense.

If there’s a 24-26yr old that looks like they’d be ahead of Reeves that would make some sense, but I’m still thinking we need quick mid types or a Flying Ryan type mature pick up who’s tearing up a state league as an electric forward.
Yeah, agree with this. Using 5 list spots for ruckmen is overkill. And if we want McEvoy and Ceglar replacements in the next year or two, no available 19 year old can do that anyway. I wouldn't mind listing a better senior ruck option once Brooksby comes off the list.

Worth keeping an eye on Tyrone Thorne as a very agile and very small forward. 19 and in the bests every week so far for Peel playing a bit of midfield. Improved out of sight this year and selected in the WA squad to take on the SANFL. So is Matt Parker who I think has the tools to play a role at AFL level. Worth a watch as Horne, Gault, Keitel, Jack Hayes, Stengle, Knight, Partington and others are selected.

Would like us to look at Jordan Gallucci. Former first round pick for Crows. More a high forward than a midfielder but does have really good foot skills. An injury to his achilles soured his last season on Crows list. Did train with tigers this pre season but not offered a spot. 23 years of age so fits our profile. Averaging 15 disposals which nearly all are kicks and couple of goals a game. Could do worse than look at him

Yeah, agree with this. Using 5 list spots for ruckmen is overkill. And if we want McEvoy and Ceglar replacements in the next year or two, no available 19 year old can do that anyway. I wouldn't mind listing a better senior ruck option once Brooksby comes off the list.

Worth keeping an eye on Tyrone Thorne as a very agile and very small forward. 19 and in the bests every week so far for Peel playing a bit of midfield. Improved out of sight this year and selected in the WA squad to take on the SANFL. So is Matt Parker who I think has the tools to play a role at AFL level. Worth a watch as Horne, Gault, Keitel, Jack Hayes, Stengle, Knight, Partington and others are selected.
If reeves is good to go then we can clean out two of McEvoy, ceglar and brooksby at the end of the year and find one 28 year old back up ruck giving us two AFL ruckman, a developing ruck and one low cost backup. Even if we keep two of them, we can shed brooksby.

Just watched the clip from True Footy. Interesting little video, although he is just throwing the names around a board based on his interpretation of "legacy" and current value/impact. :think:

Regardless, it is still true we need midfielders badly, particularly with speed away from contest and the ability to deliver a truly damaging kick forward of center.

darthman said: this isn't the thread to go into detail but JOM would absolutely be elite based on form this year, and tom Mitchell would've been tier 2 in 2018.

Ah yep that's completely fair, well not for Mitchell but for Jaeger this year on what we've seen.

Anyways I'll let this threat continue to get back on topic regarding te 2021 draft.

As exciting a thought as it is to be involved in the MSD, don’t be at all surprised if we end up with a pick outside the top 5 in the MSD and we pass because the players we wanted were gone at pick 1, 2 and 3.

Interesting view. We may have pick 1. North V Pies this week, North V Hawks next week. We are 1 injury away from being really really bad.

TWO STANDOUTS BUT WHO IS NO.3?

IF THE EARLY part of this year's draft season has proven anything, it is that Nick Daicos and Jason Horne sit as the leading two talents in the 2021 crop. But the next group are far more difficult to place in a period of the season where scouts and players are usually preparing for the mid-year championships to begin.

Daicos, the Collingwood father-son, is considered the leading player in this year's pool and recruiters largely see Horne, who has been playing at senior level in the SANFL for South Adelaide since last year, as the other No.1 contender at this stage.

Horne, a tough, high-marking midfielder who also kicks goals, has also been selected in the SANFL state side squad and idolises Freo superstar Nat Fyfe.

Beyond that star pair, however, recruiters are split on who sits within the next group of prospects after an interrupted start to the year and with such a large portion of the draft pool impacted by COVID-19's shutdown of the NAB League season.

Two players who have catapulted themselves into the mix are marking centre-half back Josh Gibcus and long-kicking wingman Finn Callaghan. Gibcus is one of the leading talls in the group and Callaghan's start to the season has put him on the radar as an early selection.

Josh Rachele's talent as a classy small forward will make clubs consider him inside the top-10, as will Josh Sinn's line-breaking run out of defence and Ben Hobbs' inside power. Midfielders Matthew Johnson, Matthew Robertsand Tyler Sonsie have also shown their AFL traits.

With a new competition structure this season – Victoria's NAB League campaign has been put on hold for a month and the mid-year NAB AFL Under-19 Championships will largely now be played at the end of the season – as well as the unknown of their under-17s season being COVID-hit, recruiters are aware that it is going to take longer than usual for the top end of the draft group to fall into place.

Roberts represents an interesting outside midfielder type that we could definitely use. I'm concerned with his lack of composure, but if we get someone who can get the ball, spread wide, and bang it in to give Jeka, Kozi and whoever else is down there a fair go I'd be all for it. Couple it with his strong ability up forward, I reckon he could be our target should he pans out. Again, I reckon that we grab the best available midfielder and run with it. Just give me a top-class rook to bang in my super coach Clarko pls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely need better ball users by foot in the middle. If we can get an inside and outside mid that have elite kicking skills I'll be really happy. Another small forward to add to Brockman and potentially Mitchell would be good to. Developing another ruckman would be ideal as well. Can't see McEvoy, Ceglar and Brooksby all on the list in 2-3 years time. I think our defense is fairly set for the next 5-10 years so unless there is an absolute standout at our picks, I wouldn't bother.

I refuse to look at who the top talents are this year. I always stupidly get invested in a crop of players only to see them go to another team :'(.

Draft watchers: there seems to have been a drop off in hype around Sonsie- is there any particular reason why? Iirc last year there was a lot of hype around him as an elite ball user going into 50 and it was a solid toss up between him and Sinn for best from Vic.

Draft watchers: there seems to have been a drop off in hype around Sonsie- is there any particular reason why? Iirc last year there was a lot of hype around him as an elite ball user going into 50 and it was a solid toss up between him and Sinn for best from Vic.
they have only played a few games after a year off so will take time to get back into full form and now they have a month off - the champs being at the end of the year will make it even later in the year to determine rankings

Sonsie is an interesting case study into how we'll perceive Victorian players this year. After a year off, with a reasonable amount of hype pumped into him, people expect him to perform at the top end of the class. And honestly, he has been impressive. From what I've seen, I have him right on the verge of the top tier. His biggest drawback was his match against the Geelong VFL side, where he looked lost in a side where Daicos and Horne were relatively more impressive. This is coupled with the fact he has had his turn as a "media piece" player last year, he just hasn't been as present in the media. He's still got to get back in the playing motions, we have a limited sample to draw from and he hasnt blow us away with a breakout performance this season yet. Make no mistake, he's still my pick to break up the Horne/Daicos cartel at the top of the rankings and if the draft were today I'd still be taking him or Roberts with our pick.

Will Bravo is playing in the Young Guns game at Werribee today. When I spoke to him at the BHH match last week he told me he was looking forward to the game. I'd go if it didn't clash with our match today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back