Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
If reeves is good to go then we can clean out two of McEvoy, ceglar and brooksby at the end of the year and find one 28 year old back up ruck giving us two AFL ruckman, a developing ruck and one low cost backup. Even if we keep two of them, we can shed brooksby.
Didn't McEvoy get re-contracted until the end of next year? Ceglar's contract is to the end of next year as well.

We need class. It looks like we will have our choice of players beyond Daicos and Horne, being guys like Sonsie, Sinn, Rachelle, Roberts, etc.

It sounds like there are some class players amongst that group.
Class and impact: the two things our midfield group lack. We need to draft a player the opposition actually fears with the ball in hand.

SANFL Eagles vs Panthers 1st qtr thoughts

Horne spent the majority of the quarter in the middle, with a short bit on the HFF. Hunts the ball and man with passion. Finds space and reads the game really well; owning the centre corridor. Kicked a goal- funny run up, and a bit of a lofty kick, but effective. Reminds me of Cotchin.

Roberts spent the majority of the quarter in a FP or HFF. Looks like a kid at this level and a little lost at times, but fit and ran a lot to make space. More outside than inside, but that could change. His kicking for goal before game was accurate, but didn’t do much in the game. Let’s see how he goes this quarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SANFL Eagles vs Panthers 1st qtr thoughts

Horne spent the majority of the quarter in the middle, with a short bit on the HFF. Hunts the ball and man with passion. Finds space and reads the game really well; owning the centre corridor. Kicked a goal- funny run up, and a bit of a lofty kick, but effective. Reminds me of Cotchin.

Roberts spent the majority of the quarter in a FP or HFF. Looks like a kid at this level and a little lost at times, but fit and ran a lot to make space. More outside than inside, but that could change. His kicking for goal before game was accurate, but didn’t do much in the game. Let’s see how he goes this quarter.

Eagles dominated the 2nd quarter, and both lads played at HFF / FP, so didn’t have a huge impact. Roberts tackling the eagles ruckman Redden was to be applauded; Redden is like a mountain.

Horne still hunted like a man possessed, but didn’t really impact. Got out marked, caught holding the ball, and shoved a player in the back to the ground without the ball.

Just not a great quarter for the Panthers.

As a side note, still think Troy Menzel could play at AFL. A class above this year. His brother is rubbish, but Troy is very skilful and impacts as a Gunston type player

Listening to Matt Rendell during the week he reckons the draft crop coming through are a mile off in physical development and skill from previous years.

Hope we can find someone that doesn’t take 5 years at Box Hill 🤦‍♂️

We need class. It looks like we will have our choice of players beyond Daicos and Horne, being guys like Sonsie, Sinn, Rachelle, Roberts, etc.

The WA boy mentioned earlier looks a ripper.
We would do well to come up with something to get to 2 for Horne if we are at 3-4. He will be the must have from the highlights I have seen anyway.

Eagles dominated the 2nd quarter, and both lads played at HFF / FP, so didn’t have a huge impact. Roberts tackling the eagles ruckman Redden was to be applauded; Redden is like a mountain.

Horne still hunted like a man possessed, but didn’t really impact. Got out marked, caught holding the ball, and shoved a player in the back to the ground without the ball.

Just not a great quarter for the Panthers.

As a side note, still think Troy Menzel could play at AFL. A class above this year. His brother is rubbish, but Troy is very skilful and impacts as a Gunston type player

Both lads back to their original positions in the 3rd. Horne on ball and Roberts at HFF. Game was more even and both had better quarters.

Roberts appears to have quick reflexes. Span out of trouble quickly. Gave off one to Horne for a shot on goal. Picked it off the ground and snapped a goal. And kicked it beautifully to a one-on-one in the forward half, making it as easy mark n goal. Kicking is a strength. And athleticism, but not super quick.

Horne knows where to place it. Placed it beautifully to another one-on-one for the forwards advantage. But it’s not as sleek as Roberts. Got squashed by lonergan, who looks like Dew - not sure how he was a top 10 pick. Think Horne will benefit a lot with a year in the midfield with Gibbs

Broadbent n Menzel spent the quarter giving it to each other.

Forget about Stengle as a mature ager - shown nothing. Hayes has been handy, but I suspect too slow for AFL. Plays like Tom Murphy.

Tyler Sonsie: 21 disposals - 4 tackles - 5 inside 50s - 2 goals

:oops:
Worked his way into the game nicely. Needs to tidy his disposal up a little bit but an impressive first hit out at VFL especially given the lost year last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyler Sonsie: 21 disposals - 4 tackles - 5 inside 50s - 2 goals

:oops:
I was watching him closely at the game. First half got 10 disposals 4 good with a goal at quarter time from 45m straight in front. 6 basically clangers or turnovers. He barely did any tackling or defensive running more jogging around waiting for a HR ect. Noticed he got a clear run at goals and kicked another from 45m straight in front. This time on the run in the 3rd quarter, lost interest in watching him and watched the game in general

Also noticed he tackled someone in the 4th quarter for a htb free, overall an OK performance, not in the bottom 4 worst players and the 2 goals were handy, received a lot of support from the Box Hill Lads.

I watched the second half (on TV, not at ground) and I liked what I saw of Sonsie. First game in VFL, hit some classy kicks on his non preferred and kicked a very nice running goal (2 goals for the game). Ability to hit the scoreboard a big plus in a midfielder. His skills looked above the level of the VFL scrubbers around him, as they should (I was concerned that Brockman was the only Hawthorn listed bloke I could say the same for)

I agree - we need class and x-factor - I just rather we used later picks on outside mids.
If we spend our highest pick in more than a decade on an outside mid he better be the next Peter Matera!

Listening to Matt Rendell during the week he reckons the draft crop coming through are a mile off in physical development and skill from previous years.

Hope we can find someone that doesn’t take 5 years at Box Hill 🤦‍♂️
Sonsie just had 24 and 2 at BH.

Rendell is full of s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back