Strapping Young Lad

previously grumbleguts
Apr 19, 2006
Your local Satanist Cabal
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Spurs, Socceroos
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

lyger

All Australian
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Horne seems comparable to Rowell, the other 3 slightly behind that, but its so hard to tell because of the missing 2020 season, i can get back to you with a more definitive answer during their 2021 season.
Thanks for your reply. I was curious as I understand that those guys are particularly highly rated but I haven’t seen them play at all and was wondering how hard the Hawks might push to get a chance to recruit one of them. Cheers.

toomanysquibs

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
He does. But he's now recruiting players with similar traits. I've got no doubt that all of the draftees have traits suited to the modern game. Or the team that's won 3 of the last 4.

The difference is that our pickups all have touch by foot as well, it's like he's looking at marrying the two playing styles together.

As Rogie pointed out, Richmond had similarities to us, but the big difference is that their players occupy a 'running zone' on the field. This allows them to go one billion miles an hour at the contest all day, while their opponents gas out running up and down the full length of the field. At least, it works like that when it's 'on'.

I think we can improve that, and come up with a skills based version that marries elements of what we had with this, rather than that shitty hacking it forward at all costs crap/wave of bodies at the contest, rolling maul.

We'd take whatever works obviously, but the game needs to evolve past the super ugly, skill-less stuff, where a bunch of blokes crack in super hard and overpower any attempt to play actual football back the other way. Otherwise AFL is kind of screwed as a spectator sport imo.

Last edited:

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we can bring in more skilled ball users it will make a massive difference to our list. I'd say our best kicks of the footy in the best 22 currently are Sicily, Hardwick, Day, Wingard, Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne and Scrimshaw. Unfortunately half of those typically play forward. Greaves is looking likely to be in this list through 2021 but it is also Burgoyne's final year. Downie and Brockman could add to the list by seasons end as well.

Having excellent ball users through the midfield (inside or outside) is clearly a significant area we are lacking in. Our current draft hand should include 3 picks in the top 30 (before academy & father/son bids come in) which we should be enough currency to address this deficiency. I can definitely see why Hawks went after Campbell. Hopefully we can get a player of his caliber next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chad and I

All Australian
Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No. But he's a smart guy. And would analyse the list profile of the best, and pick the eyes out of it.

What do the Tigers have the best of:
- great intercept defenders
- mids and fwds who have speed and swarm ground balls and the contest.
- Dusty.
Or...just Dusty.
They'd be ordiinary without him and still waiting for a premiership.

Blackhawk42

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
A key forward, ruckman and a small forward with our first 3 selections. Then get Zach Merrett as a free agent.

I'm hoping Lewis, Jeka, Brockman, Smitchell and Saunders can cover the small and tall forward part of that wishlist. Then it's just a ruck and elite mid we need to focus on.

Judd2Sewell

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Sonsie
Sinn
Rachele

If we finish bottom four then we are in a position to get any of these three.

Remove this Banner Ad