Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
How about Newcombe from Box Hill for the mid season draft? After all we already have an Emerson, why not a Newcombe. However I won't laver the point.
He's a hard at it, nuggety, inside midfield bull who doesn't have many other elite traits. I've loved watching him but I'd want to see that type of player really dominating games at VFL level before I thought his game could translate to AFL. Not like we're lacking for those types anyway.

How desperate is he to stay in SA? Or is that just a furphy?
Fair question, but if he’s there you take him and then back your club to win his heart and mind over from being an SA boy.

North might just be the sort of club who don’t want to take that punt, as they didn’t with McDonald.

Fair question, but if he’s there you take him and then back your club to win his heart and mind over from being an SA boy.

North might just be the sort of club who don’t want to take that punt, as they didn’t with McDonald.
100% we take the punt and back ourselves in. Worst case we get a good pick back in 2 years time.

I just wonder if there is any merit to it. Draft interviews will be interesting

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
no offense intended, i just dont think at this moment Sonsie is a good pick at 3 for us, he has some good qualities, but im not sure a small midfielder with good goal sense, but limited contested game is for us, i think there might be a more complete inside mid or outside mid we could target, just my opinion.
Does he normally play in the centre square in the nab league? Spent a lot of time in the middle on Saturday and didn’t have an issue winning the ball. Seemed to have the smarts, agility and clean hands required to make it on the inside. I hadn’t seen him play before but given the comments about him I was surprised at how effective he was in close.

I haven’t seen enough of the other young players to put forward a draft order but I wouldn’t be against him on our list.

Doesn't matter. Crows aren't bad enough. He will go to North. The only question is whether they bid on Daicos first or not.
If he makes mention of his love of SA I won’t be at all surprised if North get spooked.

We can dream.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Does he normally play in the centre square in the nab league? Spent a lot of time in the middle on Saturday and didn’t have an issue winning the ball. Seemed to have the smarts, agility and clean hands required to make it on the inside. I hadn’t seen him play before but given the comments about him I was surprised at how effective he was in close.

I haven’t seen enough of the other young players to put forward a draft order but I wouldn’t be against him on our list.

he plays centre until the team he is in starts losing the contest, then he goes forward and kicks goals, that seems to be the pattern, he is good when he has team mates feed him the HR and is a good goal kicker, im not saying he isnt talented and he could be who we go for? i just have other preferences.

Soaring Hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he plays centre until the team he is in starts losing the contest, then he goes forward and kicks goals, that seems to be the pattern, he is good when he has team mates feed him the HR and is a good goal kicker, im not saying he isnt talented and he could be who we go for? i just have other preferences.

He played centre for the majority of the game on the weekend. Interestingly, when he rested at the HFF, the opposition got on top; but I think that was pure coincidence.

He hunts man and ball, is already a good size for senior footy, and will be a super player...

But, I still recall watching Rankine n Lukosius and reckon they would have been taken above Horne if they were in the same draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I know it's been posted around the draft boards, but here's a small highlight reel for Matt Roberts from his SANFL debut. Looks like our guy right now, a good clearance player and a nice left-foot kick. Bit worried about him blazing away occasionally, but his presence as a general forward makes up for it. I like him better than Sonsie right now, can get around a contest and be a real outlet for Titch, O'Meara and Worpel's contested handballs through the middle. Very keen to see how he goes from here on out.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we can't find any rlly good inside mids we like, I reckon we go outside with Sinn and Chesser. Helps that both have the scope to go inside and look to have some good contested ability. We're really lacking some outside elite pace which both have, might need to sort out a trade with Carlton tho.

Soaring Hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I know it's been posted around the draft boards, but here's a small highlight reel for Matt Roberts from his SANFL debut. Looks like our guy right now, a good clearance player and a nice left-foot kick. Bit worried about him blazing away occasionally, but his presence as a general forward makes up for it. I like him better than Sonsie right now, can get around a contest and be a real outlet for Titch, O'Meara and Worpel's contested handballs through the middle. Very keen to see how he goes from here on out.

Has very quick reactions. Strengths are his kicking, which are bullets, and endurance. Needs to put on size and get a tad better acceleration.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I watched the sonsie full highlights package and he has attributes we need. He is a balanced mid with inside and outside skills. He was quick but not explosive like Horne. Don't think he is a needle mover player but definitely would add some much needed polish and zip to our midfield mix. Don't like the look of that Matt Roberts kid from those highlights, very pedestrian. Horne on the other hand... Wowee

danielG

All Australian
Jun 27, 2009
richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We desperately need a classy midfielder with good skills.

On SGP611 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not seen anything I’d have thought is pick 3 worthy to date from any of the top picks with the exception of Horne and Daicos both of which will be gone. Sonsie is not strong enough at the contest , Roberts lacks composure, Rachelle is too small and lacks the elite midfield class our team badly lacks.
My hope is Sinn shows us something. He has the attributes but need to see him in the middle at the Champs.. Maybe Johnson, I haven’t seen enough.

I reckon we'll see a real shift in order over the next 3-6 months. Only just easing back into it after a year off. For example, if 2000 was shut down there's no way Hodge would have had the discipline to maintain his shape properly to seem like a number 1 pick in May.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I watched the sonsie full highlights package and he has attributes we need. He is a balanced mid with inside and outside skills. He was quick but not explosive like Horne. Don't think he is a needle mover player but definitely would add some much needed polish and zip to our midfield mix. Don't like the look of that Matt Roberts kid from those highlights, very pedestrian. Horne on the other hand... Wowee
I went to box hill game and couldn’t be less impressed with Sonsie. Didn’t excite me at all, there is no way in the world he had over 20 touches either. On the other hand Roberts looks great to me. I’m in Roberts/Johnson camp atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back