Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Seems inevitable that we will have discussion on this draft start up at some point, so let’s start a thread for it here.

Sorry Gralin.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think its vital we pick at least 2 mids in the top ten next year hopefully with Sinn and Draper, with perhaps a third forward to replace gunston.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So if our midfield continued to not work with Mitchell and worpel, no team would take T.M for a top 10 pick?

Our backline is sorted, we need to replenish our midfield like North have done with their core: LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Thomas, Powell. Other than worpel and possibly maginess who else will be in our midfield for +8 years.

Very early but personally I'd look at the forwards next, see how the season goes and invest heavily if the right players are available. Let's be honest with ourselves you can get good mids every year, but the early reports do sound like it's a mids draft at the elite end so if that's the case you just go best available.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Very early but personally I'd look at the forwards next, see how the season goes and invest heavily if the right players are available. Let's be honest with ourselves you can get good mids every year, but the early reports do sound like it's a mids draft at the elite end so if that's the case you just go best available.

This is apparently the draft for midfielders, with scarce few KPP coming through at the top end.

An elite midfield can cover for a poor forward line. We just need Lewis and Jeka to develop into good forwards and we are pretty much set for the future.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jacob van rooyan for Claremont is a key forward who is looking like a very early pick. Great size, work rate and has some athleticism to him .

Regardless of where we finish on the ladder next year, we will have at least 3 picks inside the top 35. We also have 2 fourth round picks.

All we need is just one more key forward that can play alongside Lewis and to also complement the new small/medium forwards. That would cap off a really good three years of recruiting.

2019: Day
2020: Grainger-Barrass
2021: ???

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
I think that we were really smart in this years draft by taking a quality tall followed by smaller speedy types knowing full well that the midfield needs will be addressed next year. With Sic out for most of next year I cant help but feel that we are hoping for the best next year but deep down think it might be a year of development before launching in 2022 and beyond. Getting one of these forecasted gun mids will suit beautifully with Sinn or Horne at the top of my wants list.

suburb whispers

Team Captain
Nov 15, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Keep an eye on Sam Banks from Tasmania. Smooth mover with exquisite skills on both sides of the body. Has been playing Senior Footy with Clarence in the TSL all year as a 16/17 yo and has performed at the level consistently. Rated as a 1st round prospect, but a big year in the NAB league against people his own age could see him rise up the rankings.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
If the Bombers finish in the bottom 5 next year I reckon they won’t be discouraging Merrett from walking out the door as a free agent.

Hopefully they finish midtable then, last thing I want is them having two top 5 picks in an elite draft to add to the 3 top 10s they had this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back