Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
460d3d70126e41e9a6eda9e42d8e27ee

Haha - not normally my go but the "following the Richmond model" comments just get to me. I think I got it out of my system though.

Horne seems comparable to Rowell, the other 3 slightly behind that, but its so hard to tell because of the missing 2020 season, i can get back to you with a more definitive answer during their 2021 season.
Thanks for your reply. I was curious as I understand that those guys are particularly highly rated but I haven’t seen them play at all and was wondering how hard the Hawks might push to get a chance to recruit one of them. Cheers.

He does. But he's now recruiting players with similar traits. I've got no doubt that all of the draftees have traits suited to the modern game. Or the team that's won 3 of the last 4.

The difference is that our pickups all have touch by foot as well, it's like he's looking at marrying the two playing styles together.

As Rogie pointed out, Richmond had similarities to us, but the big difference is that their players occupy a 'running zone' on the field. This allows them to go one billion miles an hour at the contest all day, while their opponents gas out running up and down the full length of the field. At least, it works like that when it's 'on'.

I think we can improve that, and come up with a skills based version that marries elements of what we had with this, rather than that shitty hacking it forward at all costs crap/wave of bodies at the contest, rolling maul.

We'd take whatever works obviously, but the game needs to evolve past the super ugly, skill-less stuff, where a bunch of blokes crack in super hard and overpower any attempt to play actual football back the other way. Otherwise AFL is kind of screwed as a spectator sport imo.

Last edited:

If we can bring in more skilled ball users it will make a massive difference to our list. I'd say our best kicks of the footy in the best 22 currently are Sicily, Hardwick, Day, Wingard, Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne and Scrimshaw. Unfortunately half of those typically play forward. Greaves is looking likely to be in this list through 2021 but it is also Burgoyne's final year. Downie and Brockman could add to the list by seasons end as well.

Having excellent ball users through the midfield (inside or outside) is clearly a significant area we are lacking in. Our current draft hand should include 3 picks in the top 30 (before academy & father/son bids come in) which we should be enough currency to address this deficiency. I can definitely see why Hawks went after Campbell. Hopefully we can get a player of his caliber next year.

I haven’t seen any media featuring Graham Wright post draft. Does anyone have a link they can send?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean he was what 16 when he said that? Maybe younger.

I wasn't ready to move out of home at that age, yet alone to a new state.
He said it in september, so not that long ago. But he will never really have that option like archie.

No. But he's a smart guy. And would analyse the list profile of the best, and pick the eyes out of it.

What do the Tigers have the best of:
- great intercept defenders
- mids and fwds who have speed and swarm ground balls and the contest.
- Dusty.
Or...just Dusty.
They'd be ordiinary without him and still waiting for a premiership.

A key forward, ruckman and a small forward with our first 3 selections. Then get Zach Merrett as a free agent.

images

I'm hoping Lewis, Jeka, Brockman, Smitchell and Saunders can cover the small and tall forward part of that wishlist. Then it's just a ruck and elite mid we need to focus on.

Tyler Sonsie came into my work a couple days ago. Good size already
Best of the Vic kids apparently, you should’ve locked the doors behind him and hid him in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back