Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
it's the contract, he only gets contracted for the remainder of 2021. Wait to the national draft and the base pay is higher and it's for two years.
Yeah, but if he’s the supposed talent that he is, the contract looks after itself when the 6 months is up.

Keep an eye out for

#7 Cooper Hamilton
#6 Nick Daicos
#19 Neil Erasmus
#16 Josh Fahey
#9 Jason Horne
#22 Matthew Johnson
#4 Josh Rachele
#29 Toby Conway

warning, they lose by 130 points and they only kick 2 goals, so its mainly Geelong VFL highlights, but if you want to see some of the top talent play together you can.

Keep an eye out for

#7 Cooper Hamilton
#6 Nick Daicos
#19 Neil Erasmus
#16 Josh Fahey
#9 Jason Horne
#22 Matthew Johnson
#4 Josh Rachele
#29 Toby Conway

warning, they lose by 130 points and they only kick 2 goals, so its mainly Geelong VFL highlights, but if you want to see some of the top talent play together you can.

Any reason why they played Geelong? Hard to assess players when they get belted.

Would have been better to see them be a bit more competitive, and maybe play the Bullants?

Any reason why they played Geelong? Hard to assess players when they get belted.

Would have been better to see them be a bit more competitive, and maybe play the Bullants?
Or North's AFL side.

they beat the last 2 VFL sides, i just think this draft group might not be as good as 2018 and 2019, also they had less time together because of the restrictions and whatnot, maybe Geelong were just in form and too good on the day, lots of reasons why they got beaten easily, most of the time they lose to the VFL sides in the short history of the Academy v VFL sides, its more to test the kids to see if they can handle the tougher challenge.

they beat the last 2 VFL sides, i just think this draft group might not be as good as 2018 and 2019, also they had less time together because of the restrictions and whatnot, maybe Geelong were just in form and too good on the day, lots of reasons why they got beaten easily, most of the time they lose to the VFL sides in the short history of the Academy v VFL sides, its more to test the kids to see if they can handle the tougher challenge.
The last two times did the Academy side not get longer to know each other, and also have connections 12 months out?

This game was an eyesore and I just can’t fathom how it was not identified that it was a bad idea to get a bunch of kids who barley know each other to come together for 2 days, and take on a VFL side that have not only known each other for years, but I’ve trained and played together for months, if not years.

the result of this game was not only a bad look for some of the kids in the academy, but those decision makers behind “the pathways” IMO.

The last two times did the Academy side not get longer to know each other, and also have connections 12 months out?

This game was an eyesore and I just can’t fathom how it was not identified that it was a bad idea to get a bunch of kids who barley know each other to come together for 2 days, and take on a VFL side that have not only known each other for years, but I’ve trained and played together for months, if not years.

the result of this game was not only a bad look for some of the kids in the academy, but those decision makers behind “the pathways” IMO.

its not about the result, that is irrelevant, its how they measure up to a physically superior opponent imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its not about the result, that is irrelevant, its how they measure up to a physically superior opponent imo.
Well they got walked over, it was rubbish

Bloody North.

He may not nominate for the mid season draft. He's doing Year 12 and won't be available to play this year at all. If he goes into this draft he will have a shorter contract than if he is picked next year. The other thing is that North will have first pick so it's likely he could end up there. If he waits till next year he probably won't be a number one pick so will have a chance to go to another club, which might be more appealing to him.
Jai Newcombe has been playing really well at Box Hill. He's a strong, very well built inside mid who didn't get picked up last year. Anybody know any more about him. I haven't seen him play yet, I'm just going on what I've picked up about him so far.

Davo-27 I always really enjoy your insight.
Is there any decent mature age KPD out there we may look at? We were exposed a bit last week and there are plenty of better tall forward lines coming up then Adelaide's.

Davo-27 I always really enjoy your insight.
Is there any decent mature age KPD out there we may look at? We were exposed a bit last week and there are plenty of better tall forward lines coming up then Adelaide's.

i dont watch the 2nd tier competitions so i'm not sure about that, as far as the 19 year olds are concerned i dont believe there are many KPD's out there.

In the past they haven't faced VFL sides with AFL listed players either, so to come up against blokes that have had that experience plus a few years of full time S&C programs, bit of a mismatch

i dont watch the 2nd tier competitions so i'm not sure about that, as far as the 19 year olds are concerned i dont believe there are many KPD's out there.

If I've learnt anything it's that if you want a decent KPD, draft a half decent forward or a fairly mobile ruck and throw them back.

Raak go ok? Sounds like he has made some good improvement already. His height gets reported as 194cm but not sure if that is true or not.

from what i know of Raak, he has been good so far this year, but you expect that from overagers, the majority of the best players are overagers in the NAB League, so physical development definitely plays a part in form, last year Matt Rendell(ex Coll/Adel recruiter) said he was a top 20-30 player, but he didnt get drafted or even put on cat b rookie list for the WB as he was their NGA, Raak was picked last in the recent Phantom Draft us draft watchers did, approx the 10th 19 year old picked, from what i have seen he doesnt appear to be a KPD, more a 3rd tall interceptor who has a license to play as the free man in defence responsible for rebounding out of defence, he has definitely improved and is a chance to be drafted, his performances for the Western Jets have been good and his numbers are really good which is why people are thinking he is a good chance to be drafted, thats my take on Raak.

he recently played for Footscray VFL team and had 9 disposals and 4 marks in a team that won by 72 points, so maybe we can see more of him play against men to have a more substantial form guide?

Last edited:
I like the sound of Raak.

Yes, we had a few quality players in the same mould, but it could end up giving us some versatility with Day and Scrimshaw in particular.

I don't think you can have enough tall(ish) mobile players that are good in the air.

from what i know of Raak, he has been good so far this year, but you expect that from overagers, the majority of the best players are overagers in the NAB League, so physical development definitely plays a part in form, last year Matt Rendell(ex Coll/Adel recruiter) said he was a top 20-30 player, but he didnt get drafted or even put on cat b rookie list for the WB as he was their NGA, Raak was picked last in the recent Phantom Draft us draft watchers did, approx the 10th 19 year old picked, from what i have seen he doesnt appear to be a KPD, more a 3rd tall interceptor who has a license to play as the free man in defence responsible for rebounding out of defence, he has definitely improved and is a chance to be drafted, his performances for the Western Jets have been good and his numbers are really good which is why people are thinking he is a good chance to be drafted, thats my take on Raak.

he recently played for Footscray VFL team and had 9 disposals and 4 marks in a team that won by 72 points, so maybe we can see more of him play against men to have a more substantial form guide?
Cheers mate. 👍

can’t hurt his chances if he plays well against men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back