Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
There I was thinking you play players and teach them how to be better players and in fact it does lead to different results :think:

We have some players that we know who they are are they going to get any better by playing them over and over again when we know what they offer and not going to be part of our next premiership team or would playing a kid make us worse in the short term but maybe better in the long term and yes moving players around to a different spot may make them a better player but when players have been moved around that much and we keep playing them.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

Last edited:
Sigh ...

"Daicos is a master of dropping his knees to draw free kicks, making him even more dangerous in traffic."
Get the feeling he’s not going to be popular with the masses. Especially if he’s also really good. It makes it all the more grating

We have some players that we know who they are are they going to get any better by playing them over and over again when we know what they offer and not going to be part of our next premiership team or would playing a kid make us worse in the short term but maybe better in the long term and yes moving players around to a different spot may make them a better player but when players have been moved around that much and we keep playing them.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

do u type that up every time or do u have a notepad file on ur computer that is named 'bigfooty.txt' and u copy and paste it whenever u make a post?

So all top ~15 mids are prolific, goal kicking, ball winning inside/outside players with burst speed, good overhead marking and great kicks inside 50 🤔

It's hard to get a sense of the real pecking order and points of difference with the generous write-ups you get at this stage.
Every slowish midfielder is the next Pendlebury, every running wingman is Isaac Smith, every pure inside player is Cunnington....until they’re not.

I think we need a few "best in the competition" types to be honest. Thankfully the best mids in the comp currently weren't the first pick, so there's always a chance we can get one in the draft.

- Neale: pick #58
- Cripps: #13
- Merrett: #26
- Fyfe: #20
- Kelly: #2
- Dangerfield: #10
- Mitchell: #21
- Petracca: #2
- Oliver: #4
- Steele: #24
- Macrae: #6
- Bont: #4
- Dunkley: #25

I'm sure I've missed some, but there's no reason we can't get one theoretically at least if there is one in this draft. Kelly is probably the only one who hasn't consistently lived up to or heavily exceeded their initial price tag.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

I think we need a few "best in the competition" types to be honest. Thankfully the best mids in the comp currently weren't the first pick, so there's always a chance we can get one in the draft.

- Neale: pick #58
- Cripps: #13
- Merrett: #26
- Fyfe: #20
- Kelly: #2
- Dangerfield: #10
- Mitchell: #21
- Petracca: #2
- Oliver: #4
- Steele: #24
- Macrae: #6
- Bont: #4
- Dunkley: #25

I'm sure I've missed some, but there's no reason we can't get one theoretically at least if there is one in this draft. Kelly is probably the only one who hasn't consistently lived up to or heavily exceeded their initial price tag.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
Martin? Cotchin? Prestia? You left out the three time premiership midfield lol

but to your point, yes you can find top players through the draft the probability of doing so is a lot less than using, say, a top five pick trying to find one. So you either take a lot of mid draft picks and turn them over quickly or you try to get top picks (hard to do unless you lose a lot). We hadn’t done either for about a decade, hence we just didn’t give ourselves a chance to find those players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t seen enough of Matty Roberts to really make a call. With impressive numbers like those you get worried he might be an accumulator which is the last thing our side needs. But the reports suggest his delivery into 50 and overall skills are good.

Davo-27 any idea what his pace is like? Would he be too similar to Mitchell/Worpel?

I haven’t seen enough of Matty Roberts to really make a call. With impressive numbers like those you get worried he might be an accumulator which is the last thing our side needs. But the reports suggest his delivery into 50 and overall skills are good.

Davo-27 any idea what his pace is like? Would he be too similar to Mitchell/Worpel?

i have liked what i have seen of him so far, thats the first check for me, then i look at stats, because in the u18's stats can be deceiving, but with Matthew Roberts theres a lot to like especially in the midfield under pressure, i would like to see more games he has played to make a solid call, but from what i have seen so far he is in the top 10 potentially top 5, i think most draft watchers on bigfooty have him there as well?

heres some highlights from couple years ago, tall red head in 21 in the hoops

from this year

Last edited:
Could Gibcus be someone we look at if we were to commit to a full list turnover and get another pick in the top 10?
The reports on him seem really positive and if we grab him now our backline for the next decade won't need to be touched realistically.

I have seen a few early mock drafts having Matthew Roberts around pick 3/4.
Report from his game on the weekend in SA.
Delivering classy inside 50 entries has me sold 😂

From what I've seen of him, he loves swinging on his left asap and doesn't wait for an option to present itself. We have enough Worpels on the team, I rekon we should go for more Sonsie, Sinn type players with a bit more composure with their kicking. Of course at this point just grab any of them, we need an attacking midfielder so any and all will do.

do u type that up every time or do u have a notepad file on ur computer that is named 'bigfooty.txt' and u copy and paste it whenever u make a post?

Its in my profile as a signature like a email does.

Its in my profile as a signature like a email does.

doesn't the signature come underneath

it looks like you're typing it out every time

Sorry to remove all those posts, but we were way off track with how other clubs may or may not trade.

Let’s keep it to kids in this draft.

Jeka leads, leads & leads & he's hungry no talent midfielders to feed him lol
We need 3 talent midfielders

We already have one on the list. Ya’ll don’t know it yet. ;)

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back