Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really see much to be excited about with Warner. Are we able to match a bad for Anderson if it comes in the draft? If so, then take him out and my third would be Tyreece Lieu.
We seem to be interested, having met with him more than others. Of course it might just be easier to tee up with him, so why not. In any case, there seems to be more hype/mentions of Corey than there were for Chad. Now, it's unknown if that's because of Chad or he's just rated better. If we pick him up, it'll be because we rate him, so I'd be happy enough. Would rather at 3rd Pick, but we might go at our 2nd.

Anderson has been nominated I believe, so yes. Others have said once we pass that's it, but we've passed and used later picks on upgrades before, so I think it can be done. If not, we might be able to trade back in. I'd say there's others we rate at our 3rd pick over any risk about Anderson.

We seem to be interested, having met with him more than others. Of course it might just be easier to tee up with him, so why not. In any case, there seems to be more hype/mentions of Corey than there were for Chad. Now, it's unknown if that's because of Chad or he's just rated better. If we pick him up, it'll be because we rate him, so I'd be happy enough. Would rather at 3rd Pick, but we might go at our 2nd.

Just haven't heard anything good about him that hasn't related to his combine results or Chad. Need more than that to get me excited about the prospect of drafting him. If we do I'll back the club in but there are others who seem better.

I would go Warner for pick two, based on his genes (Chad-genes), his reputation (better than the Chad), his athletic ability, his passion (Chad-like) and most importantly, the way he moves and distributes. He has a bit of Gary Ablett Jr about him

Yeah, feels a bit like we’ll get Brown in the first round, say “that’s nice” and then spend the next 24hrs waiting for the exciting stuff.
I feel like you are being overly optimistic about this boards reactions to picking a medium sized half back.

If they made it 3rd round onwards on the 2nd night, the viewing numbers would plummet. If they're doing it over two nights, which they definitely shouldn't, then it's probably the best commercial scenario as is.

I want to trade up with our 2nd and 3rd if we can. Think we're a few spots off being able to get the players I want at each of our 2nd and 3rd. Club might feel the same. Especially Bazzo with our 2nd, if we could get into mid 20s, I reckon he'd be good value. Even Warner or Sheldrick, reckon if we got to mid 30s with our 3rd, we might be able to get one of them. But on that note, we have limited options to do so, as it's a fair risk to use either of next years 1st rounders, so we'd probably need to use up next years 2nd, then see where things lay next year and use our worst 1st rounder (or a 2023 pick) to get us to 3 decent picks in 2022.
I'm more than happy to stay with the picks we currently have.
Based on most of the speculative drafts from those who should know more than most of us, Chesser or Wilmot will be available at pick 18. Tick.
For pick 31 which will probably be around 33 or 34 Bazzo may well still be there. If not, there's every chance that Taylor would still be available. Tick again with either of those.
Our 39 will end up as an early 40s pick. If we missed out on Bazzo, now should be a perfect time to take Dean as a mature key defender. If we've already taken Bazzo, one of Warner or Sheldrick should be available. Tick again.
I certainly wouldn't be giving up any future picks considering we have academy kids to consider next year and we may be more active in the trade market next year as well.
FWIW. I wouldn't be taking Brown as I reckon he would be wanting to go back to Geelong after 2-3 years.

By the reviews on Anderson he looks like the big bull mid to replace Joey. Most sites rate him really well. Giving him a chance anything over about 20.

His disposal is very good.

Whoever we take they need elite disposal. Forget anyone who we have to teach to kick. Bad disposes and decision makers will not fit our profile or game plan. It relies on precision kicking

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

By the reviews on Anderson he looks like the big bull mid to replace Joey. Most sites rate him really well. Giving him a chance anything over about 20.

His disposal is very good.

Whoever we take they need elite disposal. Forget anyone who we have to teach to kick. Bad disposes and decision makers will not fit our profile or game plan. It relies on precision kicking

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd be surprised if we matched a bid on Anderson until our 3rd pick at the earliest (and that would be fairly annoying). Or that anyone else would risk us waiving that early. A lot of write-ups are heavy on praise, but he's still rated as a late pick (generally means 50+) or rookie draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly wouldn't be giving up any future picks considering we have academy kids to consider next year and we may be more active in the trade market next year as well.
Very much agree..
Theres some big contracts finishing next year.. so we'll have flexibility with the Salary cap for the first time in years.
Chances are that some or all of Buddy, JPK, Sinclare, Rampe, Reid could retire.. may need to replace some of that experience
The young crew are all a year older and really starting to have big impacts on game day.. so it may be time to become active in Free agency / trade period.
And yep it seems there are a few academy potentials next year.. would be great to have a pick or two before matching bids.

A strong draft hand next year is likely to be very important

Anderson has been nominated I believe, so yes. Others have said once we pass that's it, but we've passed and used later picks on upgrades before, so I think it can be done. If not, we might be able to trade back in. I'd say there's others we rate at our 3rd pick over any risk about Anderson.
Whilst the draft is still in play, if you pass on your next pick, you can no longer take part in any further part of the draft.
That being so means that if we were to pass on our 4th pick, expected to be in the mid 50's after all the f/s and academy picks are taken, we can no longer take any part in the main draft. If a club then selected Anderson at pick 60 for example, there is nothing we could do about it.
There is always an element of risk in not selecting a player you want when you have the opportunity to do so. Even if he makes it to the rookie draft, who's to say a club won't pick him prior to our turn?

Whilst the draft is still in play, if you pass on your next pick, you can no longer take part in any further part of the draft.
That being so means that if we were to pass on our 4th pick, expected to be in the mid 50's after all the f/s and academy picks are taken, we can no longer take any part in the main draft. If a club then selected Anderson at pick 60 for example, there is nothing we could do about it.
There is always an element of risk in not selecting a player you want when you have the opportunity to do so. Even if he makes it to the rookie draft, who's to say a club won't pick him prior to our turn?

I assumed clubs had to bid on rookies too and we can match with our next pick. At least at some point if they survived the ND, we could just select them as Cat B rookies. Trying to find any actual detail on the pass/end of draft, or rookie draft is good fun...

I think there's going to be limited clubs taking players after 70, even when it moves.

Either way I don't want us to use ~39 on Anderson on the off chance someone bids after our last pick. Unless we're hiding something, there'll be others that are probably better options.

Last edited:

Perhaps we should trade out our 4th rounder for a pick in the 5th round, just to be sure.

Perhaps we should trade out our 4th rounder for a pick in the 5th round, just to be sure.

This is why we are scratching our heads why we kept Ronke among a few this year. Having an extra pick or two is handy.

Glad I checked this thread first, I thought it was on Thursday like they usually are.
Thankful that we are finally here.

Makes sense but then again, if we really want him, lets take him with our 4th rounder. All for the sake of $80K in salary cap difference.

Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back