Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
I never understood Twomey on that one. Scrimshaw was a project player who didn't want to leave Victoria and Brodie had question marks around flexibility and athleticism. The other 2 were good picks but at the time it felt like a lost opportunity to me.

This is the draft that still kills me. I was massively (Dary Wilmot levels) into Simpkin who went the pick after Olli. Florent has done well but Simpkin and Hayward would had been a dream draft for me.

Same on Simpkin.

Also wanted Witherden over Hayward. Reckon he couldve been good with better development

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
He does an excellent job in all of his analysis. It was interesting to note that every one from 10 onwards of the "if I was the list manager" comments suggested that Johnson should have been picked.
It does seem odd that if Johnson had said he would ask for a trade back home after 2 years, that it didn't get leaked to the media.
Nah, I asked one of the other BF Draft gurus if there was any credence to the Johnson 'heading back home' rumour and he said no. Said it was just the way needs based fell and clubs preferred players.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
This will sound like a bad record but IMO Roberts is fairly close to his peak. He has footy smarts so hoping the development comes via experience. Really want to be proven wrong but feels like another Gould pick to me
I've got no idea how you can make that assessment when he hasn't even had a pre-season, let alone played a single game for us.

He does an excellent job in all of his analysis. It was interesting to note that every one from 10 onwards of the "if I was the list manager" comments suggested that Johnson should have been picked.
It does seem odd that if Johnson had said he would ask for a trade back home after 2 years, that it didn't get leaked to the media.
Yes, you would think that would have been hard to keep out of the press!!

The problem for me with sliders, is that once they've slid significantly, no-one has done their homework on them...

This will sound like a bad record but IMO Roberts is fairly close to his peak. He has footy smarts so hoping the development comes via experience. Really want to be proven wrong but feels like another Gould pick to me
You may be proven right in the long run, but I have no idea how anyone outside the players and coaches can have any accurate indicators in this regard.

What is this feeling based on?

Roberts has the potential to be the Dawson replacement.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Roberts has the potential to be the Dawson replacement.
Not sure about that. Have also seen someone comparing him to Hewett. Among these guys greatest strengths was their ball use. It's listed as one of Roberts' weaknesses. If his strengths are more contested ball, work rate and the ability to go forward, probably more a Parker comparison I'd have thought. Maybe he has a bit more of an outside game than that, will just have to work on getting disposal efficiency up.

Corey Warner and Rankin the potential wingers we drafted, albeit different types than Dawson.

ShireSwan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Looking at all the pics of our draftees this year; looks like we've robbed the Police forces of a few states of their recruits.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
No one cares about equivalent picks unless you are matching bids. Pick 9 is worth a lot more than a bunch of picks in the 20s worth the same points.
Those picks in the 20s are still worth more than nothing, which is what they got letting Martin walk to the PSD.

As I said in my previous post;
I honestly don't think the Suns value draft picks the same way as other clubs.

They've had so many concessions, they figure they can just pass on picks in the 20s (which of course they could also ontrade) and the AFL will bail them out down the line.
Sporting teams on the Gold Coast have always struggled and it's almost if the Suns have this idea that the AFL can't afford to let us fail, so they have never developed a proper level of professionalism.
They're the wastrel son of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
Those picks in the 20s are still worth more than nothing, which is what they got letting Martin walk to the PSD.

They've had so many concessions, they figure they can just pass on picks in the 20s (which of course they could also ontrade) and the AFL will bail them out down the line.
Sporting teams on the Gold Coast have always struggled and it's almost if the Suns have this idea that the AFL can't afford to let us fail, so they have never developed a proper level of professionalism.
They're the wastrel son of the AFL.
relocate them to Tassie. prolly change the moniker tho, Tassie Suns seems a tad unfair.

Not sure about that. Have also seen someone comparing him to Hewett. Among these guys greatest strengths was their ball use. It's listed as one of Roberts' weaknesses. If his strengths are more contested ball, work rate and the ability to go forward, probably more a Parker comparison I'd have thought. Maybe he has a bit more of an outside game than that, will just have to work on getting disposal efficiency up.

Corey Warner and Rankin the potential wingers we drafted, albeit different types than Dawson.
Roberts has no problem getting the ball, his ability by foot is solid, it’s his decision making with the ball that will be developed as that lets him down now, not the skills, justtbthe bits between the ears. He looks like he has been trying to improve that from the clips I have seen. With a couple of years elite coaching I think he has the makings of a good distributor. I wouldn’t rule the Dawson potential out too early.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
No, they value picks the same way other clubs do. If pick equivalent is just as good as pick 9 why didn't Carlton offer pick 9 and keep their equivalent? It's the same thing.

They let Martin go for 2 reasons:
-they have plenty of talent. They're better off getting someone elite than 2 good players
-it was about sending a message

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
No, they value picks the same way other clubs do. If pick equivalent is just as good as pick 9 why didn't Carlton offer pick 9 and keep their equivalent? It's the same thing.

They let Martin go for 2 reasons:
-they have plenty of talent. They're better off getting someone elite than 2 good players
-it was about sending a message
So they have so much talent they that they can pass up the opportunity to take as you say "2 good players", and end up with nothing?
Their constant onfield failures would surely indicate a bit more talent would always be useful.
And the only message I can see the Suns sending is......well actually I can't see any message other than we are going to let a good player walk out the door without any compensation whatsoever (previously Lyons, then Martin and now Greenwood, albeit different circumstances).

As for why Carlton didn't want to offer up pick 9 is because they wanted to retain it and knew they could get Martin via the PSD.
They offered up decent compensation and the Suns snubbed it and ended up with nothing.

As for the valuation of picks by the Suns I'm not referring to points equivalency per se, but their willingness to reject a decent offer, because even if they turn down a couple of second rounders and get nothing in return they know the AFL will bail them out with priority picks or special concessions, when they surely have another bad season or two.

Last edited:

Neverwas

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Korweinguboora
AFL Club
Sydney
Roberts has no problem getting the ball, his ability by foot is solid, it’s his decision making with the ball that will be developed as that lets him down now, not the skills, justtbthe bits between the ears. He looks like he has been trying to improve that from the clips I have seen. With a couple of years elite coaching I think he has the makings of a good distributor. I wouldn’t rule the Dawson potential out too early.
After watching the videos of him playing I think he has a wicked boot. One of the videos shows him roosting the ball a good 70metres from the back of the centre square well into the forward 50. Also the snap around his body for a goal in one of the videos is an an absolute pearler. Another thing about his kicking is he is able to get boot to ball very quickly somewhat like Erol. Also Looking at his physique he seems to have a bit of growth left in him too. Very happy with this selection.

After watching the videos of him playing I think he has a wicked boot. One of the videos shows him roosting the ball a good 70metres from the back of the centre square well into the forward 50. Also the snap around his body for a goal in one of the videos is an an absolute pearler. Another thing about his kicking is he is able to get boot to ball very quickly somewhat like Erol. Also Looking at his physique he seems to have a bit of growth left in him too. Very happy with this selection.
Yep, agree, it's the decision making he will improve. The reports at the moment suggest the long roosts into the forward line are done too often and he needs to assess options a little better prior to kicking. Something that we have been able to work on with others and he will be no different I guess.

With our drafting of Lachlan Rankin, he becomes just the second current Swans player drafted through the APS pathway. We also move from outright last into equal-last in the competition in terms of number of players originating from the APS pathway.

15 - Western Bulldogs
11 - Carlton, Melbourne
10 - Collingwood
9 - Hawthorn
7 - Greater Western Sydney
6 - Essendon, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide
5 -
4 - Adelaide Crows, Fremantle, Geelong, Richmond
3 - West Coast
2 - Brisbane Lions, Sydney Swans

(It's OK Lachie, I don't hate you just because you're rich!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back