Teams 2021 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good. I wouldn't change that too much outside of the usual forced rookie swap.

I'm running a similar 2 premo / 4 mid pricer backline to fund a strong midfield rather than a strong fwd line.

Merrett, Macrae, Gaff, Walsh
Taranto, Powell, Gulden, Downie.
Gawn/ROB.
Phillips, Caldwell, Stephenson
Hind, Rowe, Warner.
Absolutely fair. The way I see it is Danger and Dunkley are premium mids available as forwards, but love the strong midfield as well

Hi all, I concentrate on SC but just put a Fantasy team together. Would be keen for opinions. Yes I'm trying a crazy ruck strategy.

View attachment 1077269
View attachment 1077270
It's certainly a strange looking beast, I'm quite surprised you don't have McEvoy as cover to swap into the ruck line when Meek & Hunter return to the twos. At some stage you'll need to sell the farm to fund a couple of decent rucks.

It's certainly a strange looking beast, I'm quite surprised you don't have McEvoy as cover to swap into the ruck line when Meek & Hunter return to the twos. At some stage you'll need to sell the farm to fund a couple of decent rucks.

Cheers - Agree McEvoy is a good back up if I try all rookie ruck strategy.

I'm curious why more coaches don't try and go with full rookie ruck line in Fantasy given it appears that the ruck rookies have so much potential for cash generation this year. Obviously there is some risk, however with 2 trades every week and price rises taking effect after just one round and a few players with dual R/F, a few players getting dropped after a few weeks isn't necessarily the end of the world like it would be in SC.

I'm curious why more coaches don't try and go with full rookie ruck line in Fantasy given it appears that the ruck rookies have so much potential for cash generation this year. Obviously there is some risk, however with 2 trades every week and price rises taking effect after just one round and a few players with dual R/F, a few players getting dropped after a few weeks isn't necessarily the end of the world like it would be in SC.
When they do get dropped how do you cover it? you'll likely have very limited options and maybe none if they are due to be playing on a sunday, donuts need to be avoided.

Main concern is the cash generation required to jump on to the desired top 3. Coupled with the drop/rest factors, I'd say it's a risk not many are willing to take. Hell im scared to include the 1 as r2

Happy to not touch this side (well the structure at least) for a few days

B: Laird, Short, Docherty, J.Clark, Young, Webster
M: Macrae, Dangerfield, Taranto, Rowell, Heppell, Powell, Gulden, Downie
R: Grundy, Witts
F: Dunkley, Phillips, Caldwell, Hind, Dow, Warner

Bold = Keepers (9)
Italics = Mid Pricers (9)
Underlined = Rookies (4)

When they do get dropped how do you cover it? you'll likely have very limited options and maybe none if they are due to be playing on a sunday, donuts need to be avoided.

If one of your 3 rucks doesn't play one week that's not a problem. If 2 miss the same week, you trade one out and move Fullerton or Treacy from the forward line or McEvoy from defence. Or you do two trades - rookie ruck and underperforming premo from another line out, premo ruck and rookie from another line in.

Sure if multiple cheap rucks all get dropped or miss in the same week you are cactus, but how likely is that? Probably almost as much chance one of Gawn or Grundy are ruled out of a game in the first quarter with the same terminal result to your season.

Main concern is the cash generation required to jump on to the desired top 3. Coupled with the drop/rest factors, I'd say it's a risk not many are willing to take. Hell im scared to include the 1 as r2

How is it any different to generating the same cash to get top midfielders like Gaff or Neale if you start with an expensive ruck line? If the rookie rucks generate more cash than rookies on other lines I could even upgrade to Gawn before those that started Gawn can upgrade a rookie midfielder to Gaff or Neale.

If one of your 3 rucks doesn't play one week that's not a problem. If 2 miss the same week, you trade one out and move Fullerton or Treacy from the forward line or McEvoy from defence. Or you do two trades - rookie ruck and underperforming premo from another line out, premo ruck and rookie from another line in.

Sure if multiple cheap rucks all get dropped or miss in the same week you are cactus, but how likely is that? Probably almost as much chance one of Gawn or Grundy are ruled out of a game in the first quarter with the same terminal result to your season.
Fair enough I guess, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

How is it any different to generating the same cash to get top midfielders like Gaff or Neale if you start with an expensive ruck line? If the rookie rucks generate more cash than rookies on other lines I could even upgrade to Gawn before those that started Gawn can upgrade a rookie midfielder to Gaff or Neale.
With that start of Gawn’s, I don’t see him
Dropping any money early. And it’s a good run for the first 11 weeks, Goldy the only hard match up

With that start of Gawn’s, I don’t see him
Dropping any money early. And it’s a good run for the first 11 weeks, Goldy the only hard match up

That draw is one strong point in Gawns favour I agree. No doubt the captains points would also be useful. Might be interesting to see how it pans out anyway. Unlike SC I never put much planning into my Fantasy team which is usually reflected in my results, but did finish just outside the top 100 a few years ago with a slightly unconventional team so happy to experiment.

A Gawn or Grundy misses, your options are almost unlimited in terms
of trading down

2 cheap rucks miss and you’ll be chasing your tail for a couple of weeks at least

I considered a double rookie ruck structure, but it's so hard with Hunter and Meek so likely to make way and not be there by round 2-4. If they had job security I'd 100% do it. Especially with Fullarton there too.

And my defence imo looks great without McEvoy (back up) there and worse with him there.
I'm pretty confident we'll be able to leave Flynn on the ground though.

Just got to decide which other ruck to pick. I'm thinking Grundy with so much uncertainty in the rucks. I don't rate his upside like other people do at all, but he's been that consistent... Such a safe pick. But in ten minutes I'll have Rob sitting there and flip flop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Def: Short, Daniel, Docherty, Markov, Young, Idun (Kosch, Highmore)
Mid: Merrett, Coniglio, Serong, Rowell, Tyson, Powell, Gulden, Downie (Lazarro, Kemp)
Ruck: Grundy, Gawn (Meek)
Fwd: Danger, Dunkley, Phillips, Campbell, Cox, Rowe (Brockman, Bergman)
Utility: Hunter

62k leftover. Kemp will be replaced on the bench with a playing rookie, he's just a placeholder for the time being.

Reckon I've got 9 keepers in that side and i'm fairly convinced my mid pricers and rookies will generate a decent bit of cash. Happiest I've been with my side to this point in time and don't see myself making too many changes between now and Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The difference being if you are unable to reach the mid you want you likely have the option of a mid rookie coming through to downgrade to, whereas this likely isn't the case with rucks

My team leading in to the final few days.

Happy with the structure and fairly attached to most players.

The only things I'm still tinkering with is Short & Fantasia to Stewart & Webster
&
swapping Brodie & Caldwell back and forth.

chrome_qsx9zWxnCV.png

Team at this stage of the week!

Def: Lloyd, Laird, Noble, Markov, Young, Cox (Highmore/Kosi)

Mids: Macrae, Danger, Wines, Taranto, Cerra, Powell, Gulden, Downie (Brockman/Smith)

Rucks: Gawn, McEvoy (Flynn)

Forwards: Phillips, Butters, Bailey, Hind, Warner, Bergman (Jones/Rowe)

Utl: Meek

A lot are still interchangeable. If 3 rookies in the mids don't work because they're not named, a quick restructure is pretty easy. I like Hind and had him pencilled in prior the preseason but if he doesn't work at F4 it leaves the forwards pretty light on, similar to having Markov at D4. I haven't had Gawn in my team for years but this year he is in from the start and unless injured, not going anywhere. Similar to Lloyd, I am sick and tired of trying to chase these players if you don't start with them!

Cox a bit pricey for utility.
Could go Paul Hunter who will make $ early, and use the $86k to turn D6 Jones into Webster.

Or Fantasia to Def and pinch $ from your bench to upgrade Jones to Hind at F4. Would mean 1 less rookie on field.

(Idun to Kosi, Cox to Hunter nets you $151k)
Cheers. I feel like Hunter will make 20 or 30k in his 2 or 3 weeks max, so then i need another 170k rook to come in.cox seems decent JS, though scoring will be 50s I expect.

No guarantee Jones plays Round 1 - especially if Bergman plays. Means you can put Highmore or Idun on the ground, and put Kozi as a 170K bench spot (70K saved).

Next, take Cox out and put in Meek or Hunter, as 86K on your bench is way too much. If you're worried about JS, remember, sometimes it's good to have a non-playing rook, so you can use the loophole.

Lastly, downgrade Campbell to Brockman and then play Downie on field (82K saved).

Congratulations, you've just made yourself 238K :)

50k in bank.

Any obvious changes? If Downie doesn't play then i will likely need a slight restructure to try and get him up to Drew (or just play another mid rook in his place).

Not overly happy with Webster, think I would feel more comfortable with Markov in his place (or fingers crossed Idun is an option at D6).

1615800475813.png

1615804491810.png

0k in the bank.

- 7 Rookies, maybe one too many but the more playing rookies the faster cash gen.
- Risk it on rucks to reduce Defence problems

Currently rolling:

Short - Docherty - Sholl - Clark - Markov - Young (Highmore, Koschitzke)

Merrett - Dangerfield - Dunkley - Walsh - Taranto - Phillips - Rowell - Powell (Jordon, E. Smith)

Grundy - Witts (Flynn)

Higgins - Hind - Atkins - Warner - Rowe - Bergman (H. Jones, Waterman)

(Hunter)

Bit of a weird set up with three forward premos in the Mids, but those 6 forwards are all juicy and are all forward-only. Might go Atkins-Drew or Markov-Webster later in the week if my bench rookies aren't named and I need to free up cash to get Brockman/Gulden/Downie, but I'd rather not.

So bizarre this year that there is a shortage of good rookie mids, a plethora of good rookie fwds and no fieldable defenders under 300K.

I'm probably the only one on here without Laird - just think he's not quite as good value as Docherty & Short who are both under $700K. Playing pure mid for a bottom 4 team, I'm just a little wary of paying top dollar for him. If he goes bananas you can all thank me for reverse mozzing him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back