2021 AFL Finals Umpiring

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can someone explain to me why blocking is outlawed?

shepherding within reasonable distance to the ball has always been allowed, and there’s nothing unfair about both teams being allowed to block. To my eye, allowing it in marking & ruck contests would lead to more marks, more scoring and cleaner play. And most importantly, less flow-killing, atmosphere-killing, randomly adjudicated frees.

Whether we think it’s right or wrong, this is one thing they have been consistent with all season. Don’t get me wrong, I hate it but the ump was always gonna pay it.
Agreed, it's the wrong call according to the rules (even with the change to insufficient intent, he clearly swung his foot inboard) but they have paid a free kick for that about 75% of the time in that situation this season.

JM#1

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
People make excuses for the umpires saying it's a tough game to umpire. However, there's no excuse for making pre-meditated, concious decisions before the match even begins, to say to themselves, "right, a short kick in the backlines I will call not 15 play on. However, if it's in the forward 50, I will call a mark, because we want more goals".
Zero integrity.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Why can't they umpire every game like they do the GF?

The 40 odd umpiring panel is like any footy team. Their top 6 or 8 are elite and then they fall away. They run 27 every week, 5 more than a footy team. Think of the difference between any team's best player and number 27 on their list.

They also range in age from mid 20s to mid 40s, the latter group grew up umpiring when the game was vastly different to what it is today. I'd say a 45 yo umpire would have seen a 100 rule / interpretation changes since they started umpiring. Getting the oldest umpire, along with everybody in between to make the same decision as the youngest umpire, in any given contest wouldn't be easy. Having umpires spread around the country complicates the task.

I tend to cut them some slack.

Back