Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
it's misinterpretation as well as stupidity. My biggest grievances:
- calling not 15m as soon as the player kicks the ball.
- Deliberate out of bounds. Many deliberates paid for guys making full efforts to keep the ball in and advantage their team.
- Push in the back isn't paid anymore.
- An inability to recognise staging.
- Star players getting special treatment and more time allowed to dispose of the ball. i.e. bont, danger etc.
- Throws rarely getting paid.
- incredible inconsistency with holding the ball decisions.
- Running too far. The amount of times guys run 20-25m and don't get pulled up for it.
I agree with most if not all of this. There is more:
- high free kick when it’s literally the player that initiated the high contact whether staging or not (e.g., lifting the shoulder, running into a stationary player head first)
- in the back being inconsistently paid (e.g. someone riding on another player is not a free kick but a slight drop onto the back of a player

To me, there are too many free kicks paid across the league. I’d rather the average be around 12-15. I want only the obvious ones paid and not the 50/50 ones.

Puddy

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ade.Utd.SOCCER club
Whether it's the football fans who are misinterpretating the rules, or if it's the umpires who are misjudging situations, great teams overcome poor umpiring

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Went wild in the last tonight. Reckon the Caleb Daniel deliberate was the worst.

+ handballing over your head, ........ it’s throwing, just pay it as such.
This. If the hand holding the ball is imparting momentum its a throw.

Biggest gripe with the modern game, all the ******* skilless s**t throws.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Seeing plenty of people saying umps cost the Lions the win tonight. I watched as a neutral and genuinely didn’t care who won, and I thought Brisbane were undisciplined all night and the Dogs only got a couple of soft/50-50 frees all night.

The worst call of the game to me was the Caleb Daniel deliberate at a crucial time.

Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Whether it's the football fans who are misinterpretating the rules, or if it's the umpires who are misjudging situations, great teams overcome poor umpiring
Umpires objectively change the result of multiple games throughout the year. Incorrect or missed decisions consistently lead to goals and swing momentum. The AFL's insistence on blanketing any criticism of umpiring is ruining the game.

Teams shouldn't have to overcome bad umpiring. Of course in any sport there are bound to be games with some iffy decisions, but this has become a weekly occurrence.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Brisbane were undisciplined all night and the Dogs only got a couple of soft/50-50 frees all night.

Often feel that way about Brisbane, very good at off-the-ball stuff. Didn't really notice tonight except when a free was paid.

Seeing plenty of people saying umps cost the Lions the win tonight. I watched as a neutral and genuinely didn’t care who won, and I thought Brisbane were undisciplined all night and the Dogs only got a couple of soft/50-50 frees all night.

The worst call of the game to me was the Caleb Daniel deliberate at a crucial time.
And from where I sat
I saw soft calls going Brisbane's way (ie. Delibrate out of bounds against Daniel, 2x holding the ball against Bulldogs with no prior opportunity) then when it was on the other foot (McInerney tapping ball out of boudns, Brisbane player being tackled and dropping the ball) it was play-on

I actually want to watch the replay and do a deep dive as I did last week in the Saturday Night game.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
A team shouldn't have to beat both umpires and the opposition to win games though. When it's under a goal or 2 it largely comes down to the umpiring

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
No, it was a hack from a ruck tap to clear from defence but it’s been paid all season. I wasn’t surprised it was paid.

It was a hack on a ball in flight. At no time did he have control of the ball (in his hands), or if the ball was on the ground, angle his soccer kick.

If he doesn’t have control of the ball, insufficient attempt to keep the ball in play, is not applicable.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
It's the rules themselves. They're written to be so vague, subjective and/or complex that any decision can be retrospectively justified. Every time the AFL 'tweaks' a rule (so on multiple occasions throughout the year) they add another layer to it.

Chuck out the current rulebook. Re-write it from scratch with clearer definitions. Then leave it alone.
Lol, you want a league that relies on 'grey' to control the narrative to throw out their levers, not in a million years.

Oct 20, 2007
Cranbourne, Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
It was a hack on a ball in flight. At no time did he have control of the ball (in his hands), or if the ball was on the ground, angle his soccer kick.

If he doesn’t have control of the ball, insufficient attempt to keep the ball in play, is not applicable.

Whether we think it’s right or wrong, this is one thing they have been consistent with all season. Don’t get me wrong, I hate it but the ump was always gonna pay it.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Whether we think it’s right or wrong, this is one thing they have been consistent with all season. Don’t get me wrong, I hate it but the ump was always gonna pay it.

Fair enough, it’s just not in the spirit of the game.

Oh well, the umps and MRP definitely think in a different way to most on BF.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
‘A prophet is not recognised in his own land.’

Toby warned us all.

But did we listen?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back