Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final - Dogs vs Demons @Optus Stadium 25/09/21

Remove this Banner Ad

Forwards. Forwards. Forwards.
That’s the difference between the two sides being at the game. Naughton struggled with a raw English and Scache. Bruce out papered over the Bulldogs’ incredible finals. It finally caught up to them.
Melbourne don’t have high quality talls. But their depth allows them to change the dynamic. Brown, after the negativity last season, got a chance and followed through. McDonald is always a tough match up, just never falls over or loses contests. Jackson or Gawn stretched Bulldogs every time they went forward. Best of all, their medium forward is the best in the competition. Fritsch is a perfect example of what Sturt, if he ever gets fit, can be.
We’re not even close to having the same forward depth. Case in point- Tabs goes down, the whole team can’t score. Lobb down, and we’re cooked.
Melbourne had Tomlinson out with ACL, but still has McDonald forward.

Really think we need to experiment with either Cox or Logue forward. Sure draft a forward but we want to be in the window by 2023, then we’re behind the 8 ball. Have to go after players like Weideman, English. We’re not getting Jackson, without trading players.

Yep, it's the forwards. The problem is (like Carlton and their coaching choices) we look for the quick fix. Hogan, Mitch Clark (dodged a bullet), Kersten etc.

I have no solution, but I'm not paid the big bucks to find one. Bell is.

Yep, it's the forwards. The problem is (like Carlton and their coaching choices) we look for the quick fix. Hogan, Mitch Clark (dodged a bullet), Kersten etc.

I have no solution, but I'm not paid the big bucks to find one. Bell is.
Game was still won in the middle, cut off the supply and the forwards starve.
Won’t get any easier just look at the guys who polled well at the Brownlow.
The size, power, weight has to be a consideration, Petracca is under 190cm and 97kg, Wines, Oliver, Bont.
We need a similar type, Erasmus, or maybe the Vic Country Knevitt, Dittmar?

The size, power, weight has to be a consideration, Petracca is under 190cm and 97kg, Wines, Oliver, Bont.
There’s no way Petracca is under 190cm. He’s listed as 186cm. That’s assuming he’s shorter then Fyfe and Bontempelli. Not a chance.
On another note, our midfield’s problem has always been bullied by taller type. Absolutely shits me that Cripps is all over Cerra, Brayshaw. Zorko did the same. Serong, as good as he is, is pretty short for midfield. If only Fyfe had the pace and spread as Petracca.

Please don't use the Brownlow as a guide or example of the importance of mids. But you're right, the most influencial players in that gf win were the mids.

There’s no way Petracca is under 190cm. He’s listed as 186cm. That’s assuming he’s shorter then Fyfe and Bontempelli. Not a chance.
On another note, our midfield’s problem has always been bullied by taller type. Absolutely shits me that Cripps is all over Cerra, Brayshaw. Zorko did the same. Serong, as good as he is, is pretty short for midfield. If only Fyfe had the pace and spread as Petracca.
Need a couple of midfield bullys to push back. A Crowley, Solomon type.

Need a couple of midfield bullys to push back. A Crowley, Solomon type.

Yeah, we need mongrel in the middle. Everywhere really, all we have is Treacy and Crowden. Don't need some super talent. Just need a fierce tackler who lets the opposition know it won't be easy. I don't think we have that at the moment.

Agree with the sentiment FreoRicci, but Caleb Serong is actually 3cm taller than Zorko. It's not about height, it's about physically mature bodies beating up on young kids. Only time will resolve that - or bringing in some more mature midfielders.

1632809559312.png

I believe Christ Tarrant also with the pies in 2010. As a bloody backman! (who we traded in as a forward)

Tarrant never won a premiership he played in 3 GF's for collingwood but lost all of them 2002,2003,2011. Was at Fremantle in 2010.

Leon davis actually played in all those as well plus the drawn game in 2010 but didnt play in the replay.

I think those 2 are the only players to have lost 3 GFs for collingwood in the malthouse era without winning one

That last minute of the third quarter was probably the closest you’ll get to old style footy (ie pre-flood) in the modern era. Three goals in under a minute turned what looked like a contest at 3QT into a historical impossibility (biggest 3QT deficit hauled in for a GF win was Essendon in 1984 with 23 points behind Hawthorn—Bulldogs were down by 24).

Deep into time on, with the momentum, while the Bulldogs mids looking for the last break, Melbourne’s midfield steamrolls them from the centre break. With the 6-6-6 rule there was next to nothing the Dogs could do to counter. They set their defenders deep to deny easy one-on-ones to the Melbourne forward, but that only allowed the Melbourne mids to stream into goal.

There’s a chance a new era has been opened up off the back of that minute. Centre breaks, once the leading stat for defining who will win the game many decades ago, became a nice to have, less important when coaches could set wingers back to prevent a run on. Melbourne’s hot minute that turned the game may have set footy on its head.

Just wanted to pop in to say. Thanks to the Fremantle cheersquad members who helped Melbourne out with the banner for the Grand Final. Seriously classy stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back