Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final - Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 25 September, 7:15pm AEST, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We did it boys and girls.

Ive been waiting since primary school in the early 80's to see this.

We were no chance against the Hawks nor Dons last few appearances.

But this time felt different.

2021 Champions.

And nothing will EVER take that away.

ENJOY!!!!
Same age profile here, feel you mate. We ******* did it, after all these years. Bloody hell. Bloody hell, I can’t believe it.

Just woke up after having a sleep and many beers still can't believe it. We were 19 points down and won by 74 my brain can't compute that. We won more than we what we lost by 21 years ago, and that grand final we were 40 points down. We kicked 16 of the last 17 that is unheard of. I saw this on Facebook never forget.

FB_IMG_1632597071211.jpg

It’s impossible to fathom that third quarter. Sensory overload, my brain physically cannot cope with comprehending it yet. I have a decent memory for numbers etc but I genuinely can’t go more than a few minutes without forgetting how many goals we kicked or who kicked them or how many clearances etc. The game just got blown apart. I registered it happening at the time but it was such an out of body experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From another thread:

One of my brother's childhood friends was a Melbourne Demons fan - provided nothing out of the ordinary happens, this would have to be the culmination of a dream for him.

He was born in around 1986, so he must be processing a whole new, wonderful set of emotions. If he still remotely cares about AFL, he'll be walking on air for weeks.

I can't say it hasn't been deserved. They remind me of the classic Lions sides (2001-03) - more than once it looked like they were on the ropes after the first half and then BAM!, they'd go on a crazy scoring streak and turn a close encounter into a comfortable win or a blowout. They even did that to us once, this season.

To me, that ability to effortlessly shift gears and up the ante when it looks like the opposition have you on the ropes symbolises a true champion side. We saw it with that Lions side, we see it with this Demons side and we used to see it with the West Indian and Australian cricket teams in their pomp.

Congratulations. A comprehensive win and no doubt that most of you guys are processing and savouring a cornucopia of unfamiliar but wonderful emotions.

I keep reading little things that are helping this sink in more and more even though they might sound obvious.

Goody is the first Dees premiership coach since Norm Smith
Gawn the first premiership captain since Ronald Fricken Dale Barrassi

You think about those names and what they mean to our club and the game and you start to appreciate how special this is

Last edited:
The way this season went down, I promise you, is more satisfying than if we had gone 24-1, without facing any challenges.

Nothing like seeing your team deal with some setbacks, deal with some adversity, face their fears and doubts, and kick down the door anyway.

I keep reading little things that are helping this sync in more and more even though they might sound obvious.

Goody is the first Dees premiership coach since Norm Smith
Gawn the first premiership captain since Ronald Fricken Dale Barrassi

You think about those names and what they mean to our club and the game and you start to appreciate how special this is
It's funny there isn't a lot of melbourne premiership coaches. Norm Smith won 6 and checker won 4 so Goody is in rare company.

Just woke up after having a sleep and many beers still can't believe it. We were 19 points down and won by 74 my brain can't compute that. We won more than we what we lost by 21 years ago, and that grand final we were 40 points down. We kicked 16 of the last 17 that is unheard of. I saw this on Facebook never forget.

View attachment 1246265
Kinda hope those that threw scarfs arnt celebrating the win. Imagine that’s how you come off after your first game.

Kinda hope those that threw scarfs arnt celebrating the win. Imagine that’s how you come off after your first game.

Yeah unfortunately every team has ferals, no doubt we've had some dark days but don't take it out on players or the coaches. These are real people and it's their work place. I can't help thinking about that richmond feral spitting on Danny frawley, absolute filth.

As gutted as I am about our capitulation in the 3rd quarter and onwards, the best team for the year won & my full congratulations go to the Dees.
I know how you guys feel after our win in 2016, premierships are rare and need to be savoured as there are no guarantees from year to year but your list is in as good a shape as any for sustained success.
As good as the Bont is, I believe that Petracca has gone past him as a player & will surely win a Brownlow or more in the years ahead & Max Gawn is an inspirational leader and champion of the game.
Hopefully we will be back to challenge again next year but we have some holes in our team that we need to fix before then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back