Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final: Melbourne vs Bulldogs @ Perth Stadium, 25th September

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think people are mistaking breakaway with speed. You don't need to be fast, Petracca wasn't faster than many others, he read the ball better and put his body in the right position to run. Much like Kennedy running through the North Melbournes midfield, it wasn't speed, but elite body positioning.

I thought Petracca was cleaner and faster above the shoulder than any other mid, but he's wasnt faster through leg speed.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
FB_IMG_1632621650021.jpg

That deal was disgusting and stinks of compromised boys club shenanigans, I bet Eddie had his sticky paws all over it.

As long it’s not at night please

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I didnt pay too much attention to his tap work, but i thought gawn had a shocker, particularly early, he was just out of sync. He was failing to have an impact, english was getting the better of him at times, then up forward he spoiled fritchs (sp?) mark, luckily for the dees he sprung back up and collected the ball cleanly and goaled. He was amazing in that game. Gawn just seemed unlike his usual dominating self.

Although, the Melbourne midfield dominated, so he obviously did a lot right, just a level below what I would have expected from him in a GF. Luckily his teammates showed up in a big way.
Jackson was playing well in the middle , so Max just went wherever he could help out . A shocker you say , maybe go to specsavers !

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I didnt pay too much attention to his tap work, but i thought gawn had a shocker, particularly early, he was just out of sync. He was failing to have an impact, english was getting the better of him at times, then up forward he spoiled fritchs (sp?) mark, luckily for the dees he sprung back up and collected the ball cleanly and goaled. He was amazing in that game. Gawn just seemed unlike his usual dominating self.

Although, the Melbourne midfield dominated, so he obviously did a lot right, just a level below what I would have expected from him in a GF. Luckily his teammates showed up in a big way.
MAX HAD 7 POSSESIONS IN THE 1ST Q and 7 in the 2nd , doubled the hit outs of the bulldogs

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
A lot of talk about Petracca, and rightly so. But fu** me Brayshaw’s game was good. A real tough grand final performance.

I'd never paid attention to Brayshaw previously, but I had a look at his stats leading into the GF and noticed his disposals increased in close games, so the stats suggested he was made of stern stuff. And he certainky delivered on the big stage. Likewise petracca, the stats showed he was a leader when the whips are cracking, and his GF performance proved that (beyond expectation).

The real surprise for me was Salem, his stats didn't stack up as well as the other 2, but he was definitely critical (along with Fritsch, and Oliver) in getting the game going the Dees way. Was very calm and level headed in defence and was the architect of a lot of their drive forward.

Got a lot of respect for all 3 after that performance. Likewise Fritsch, but I already knew he was a star.

Petracca is not quick, he just gets himself clear of the contest by keeping his feet and his balance. He runs hard to get that space for himself, something more players lacking obvious speed could all be capable of if they had the composure to do it, rather than panic-disposing of the ball.

A lot of very good mids not blessed with discernible speed have that composure to run hard with the ball and get themselves in the clear. Bontempelli, Pendlebury, Mundy etc have made some pretty speedy mids look like sloths over the years by simply keeping their composure and their balance when they get the ball.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Petracca is not quick, he just gets himself clear of the contest by keeping his feet and his balance. He runs hard to get that space for himself, something more players lacking obvious speed could all be capable of if they had the composure to do it, rather than panic-disposing of the ball.

A lot of very good mids not blessed with discernible speed have that composure to run hard with the ball and get themselves in the clear. Bontempelli, Pendlebury, Mundy etc have made some pretty speedy mids look like sloths over the years by simply keeping their composure and their balance when they get the ball.
Just last year Melbourne was criticised for having a slow midfield and being too one-note.

Speed in the midfield is 80% composure, 19% body position, 1% speed. You could be the slowest bloke on the park, but if you know where the ball is going to go, and when you should run/handball/kick, you'll look like Usain Bolt.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I'm just so impressed with how many Melbourne players stepped up.

Honestly, there were a few passengers in the Demons camp, but their leaders were insanely good.
They are a likeable team. The playing group don't have big heads so it was pleasant to see.

They are a likeable team. The playing group don't have big heads so it was pleasant to see.

Aye.

The other mob have a heap of helium heads.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I'd never paid attention to Brayshaw previously, but I had a look at his stats leading into the GF and noticed his disposals increased in close games, so the stats suggested he was made of stern stuff. And he certainky delivered on the big stage. Likewise petracca, the stats showed he was a leader when the whips are cracking, and his GF performance proved that (beyond expectation).

The real surprise for me was Salem, his stats didn't stack up as well as the other 2, but he was definitely critical (along with Fritsch, and Oliver) in getting the game going the Dees way. Was very calm and level headed in defence and was the architect of a lot of their drive forward.

Got a lot of respect for all 3 after that performance. Likewise Fritsch, but I already knew he was a star.
Had a good look at what Max did yet ?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Max was ordinary at times but played ok imo

Made some dumb errors when dogs on top

Gawn literally spoon-fed Melbourne's mids all night. I think people were expecting a repeat of his prelim performance which was never gonna happen.

Gawn literally spoon-fed Melbourne's mids all night. I think people were expecting a repeat of his prelim performance which was never gonna happen.

I just wanted to annoy bedford who seems to love Gawn more than he loves any of us

Got the same hairstyle as you ! and yes i do love him . Sadly his mentor and coach passed away suddenly at a footy game 3 years ago

He seems quality person

Back