Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’ll ended up in similar position. I’m expecting between 6-9 wins and only really care about the development of the young kids and I’m excited to see the new game plan start to take shape. Exciting times

I think we’ll ended up in similar position. I’m expecting between 6-9 wins and only really care about the development of the young kids and I’m excited to see the new game plan start to take shape. Exciting times
I think we will brain sides off the half back, it’s our standout strength, and Sam will want us to be far more direct and attacking.

See the Giants game with CJ, Scrim, Day, DGB and Bramble all playing their first game together, only we’ll have Sicily back and Gunston, Lewis and Kosi forward of the ball with Brockman, Moore and Butler causing havoc.

We won 7 games and drew twice in 2021 with a game plan that got torn up at the bye.

Winning 6 games would be a fail.

I think we will brain sides off the half back, it’s our standout strength, and Sam will want us to be far more direct and attacking.

See the Giants game with CJ, Scrim, Day, DGB and Bramble all playing their first game together, only we’ll have Sicily back and Gunston, Lewis and Kosi forward of the ball with Brockman, Moore and Butler causing havoc.

We won 7 games and drew twice in 2021 with a game plan that got torn up at the bye.

The biggest issue identified by the club these past few years is an unwillingness to take a step back and play the long game, instead topping up the list and sticking with tried and true established players. With Sammy given the green light to take his time and reset for a flag tilt in a few years time, we shouldn’t judge next year based on wins / losses. If it’s 5 wins and bottom 5, as long as we are doing the right things, it can’t be judged as a fail.

We just turned over literally half our list in the last 12 months replacing almost all of them with kids, and are bringing in a new coach with new game plan that will take time to gel.

On the positive side we have senior players returning and the league outside the top few clubs, has never been as even as it is now. It could really go both ways.

I’m as hopeful as anyone here but I won’t be too disappointed either if we do finish bottom 3. It’s part of the process.
Another thing that might have a big effect on how many games we win is how much Mitchell wants to blood youth.

If he puts lots of games into Butler, MacDonald, Ward and our other younger players we won’t win as many games as playing our older statesmen.

If we use our older players more as support and rank our developing our youth over trying to win as many games as possible. We might not win as many games next year but be much better set up for the future.

The biggest issue identified by the club these past few years is an unwillingness to take a step back and play the long game, instead topping up the list and sticking with tried and true established players. With Sammy given the green light to take his time and reset for a flag tilt in a few years time, we shouldn’t judge next year based on wins / losses. If it’s 5 wins and bottom 5, as long as we are doing the right things, it can’t be judged as a fail.
All that is true, but I would bet that Sam won’t be playing Tom, JOM, Hartigan and Gunston at Box Hill. As they’re the real “backbone” of the side particularly in their parts of the ground.

It’s more likely players like Phillips, Howe, Shiels and possibly even McEvoy and Frost get pushed to the side for the development of youngsters like Ward, Downie, Mitchell, MacDonald, DGB etc.

All that is true, but I would bet that Sam won’t be playing Tom, JOM, Hartigan and Gunston at Box Hill. As they’re the real “backbone” of the side particularly in their parts of the ground.

It’s more likely players like Phillips, Howe, Shiels and possibly even McEvoy and Frost get pushed to the side for the development of youngsters like Ward, Downie, Mitchell, MacDonald, DGB etc.
Yep that’s what I think too although Hartigan may join your second bunch at some time

Edit: Add Reeves to your development bunch

Yep that’s what I think too although Hartigan may join your second bunch at some time
I just see him as the rock solid big body that can protect a few of our younger types.

Edit: Add Reeves to your development bunch
I think Hartigan plays every game and Frost the only other mature player in the backhalf spends time at Boxhill. That allows following setup from round one.

Hardwick(24) Hartigan(30) Sicily(26)
Scrimshaw(23) DBG(19) Jiath(22)

With Impey(26), Day(20), Bramble (23)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hartigan plays every game and Frost the only other mature player in the backhalf spends time at Boxhill. That allows following setup from round one.

if it’s between frost and haritgan at box hill, I hope it’s hartigan.

If the younger players continue to develope, we play with attacking intent and are 'IN' most games until 3 quarter time....

Then the season will be a success no matter how may wins.

Given the talent we have and if Sam can get total buy in from the senior players then plenty of wins are possible. Then there's injuries, draw etc.

As others have said I think we need to hit one more draft hard and then start to fill the gaps. A top 10 pick and then another 2 under 30 would be ideal.

What teams wont improve? Or stagnant

What teams wont improve? Or stagnant from this year? I think North will win a few more games. Adelaide are on the improve. An extra year of the suns developers could see them rise.... we could very well stagnant which may see us bottom 3....
Pies will slide due to poor list, GC will slide as they have gone off the cliff with Greenwood etc disasters, Tigers and Cats are on the way down, Adel still has gaps, WC are on the edge. Quite a few teams could drop in 2022. Nth will improve a bit but not significantly until 23.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 1 you will need Frost for Buddy

Yes, a terrible fail.
I'm expecting us to at least challenge for the eight and with a bit of lady luck make the 8. As you point out we had 2 draws, we also had a few very, very bad performances against teams we should have beat, some of these correlated with the coaching fracas and may have due to that. Arguably our best forward and back were out for nearly all the season and overall we had a pretty poor run with injury. Add in the buzz of a new coach (hopefully president, too) along with a significant haul of new talent, it looks very promising.

Frost brings nothing Sicily cant, Frost has been a good pick up on quality but it was a shocking decision to recruit him

Except elite pace on the rebound unlike pretty much every tall defender in the AFL. Frosty was one of our nominations for league MVP last season, where Sicily played more than half of the games. Very different players who offer different things.

Frost has the ability to play lockdown on talls and smalls and attack with running and speed.

Sicily is your intercept marking/reading of the player defender who you want the ball in the hands of when starting your offence from D50.

Except elite pace on the rebound unlike pretty much every tall defender in the AFL. Frosty was one of our nominations for league MVP last season, where Sicily played more than half of the games. Very different players who offer different things.

Frost has the ability to play lockdown on talls and smalls and attack with running and speed.

Sicily is your intercept marking/reading of the player defender who you want the ball in the hands of when starting your offence from D50.
Wow just wow, Sicily can and has played as a lockdown defender he's not just some intercept defender that plays loose, you sound like oppistion fans that always tried to downplay Gibson or simply couldn't grasp his role.

Swap Sic and DGB, and you’re bang on.

DGB is capable of taking on Frosts role pretty much tomorrow, particularly if Hartigan is in the side.

I don’t think he can’t take Hartigans role, with Frost in the side.

Another thing that might have a big effect on how many games we win is how much Mitchell wants to blood youth.

If he puts lots of games into Butler, MacDonald, Ward and our other younger players we won’t win as many games as playing our older statesmen.

If we use our older players more as support and rank our developing our youth over trying to win as many games as possible. We might not win as many games next year but be much better set up for the future.

half the best 22 are already young. How much is enough?

should Sicily and impey at 25-26 be cooling their jets too? What are we teaching the kids? Winning isn’t important?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back