Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the wrong thread to ask this question, but I wonder what the year has in store for Phillips?

Do we see further improvement from him? Are players like Downie, Bramble, Ward, Maginess, Butler, McDonald, Duke, etc, likely to force him out of B22?

IMO he's probably in a tough spot right now. He's not a player that Mitchell has brought in.

Personally I hope Bramble, Day and Downie form our outside midfield unit - all three are classy kicks and are all quicker than Phillips. CJ could play there too and offer something different with his outrageous athleticism and pace.

Not to mention our new prized drafted Ward, who Mitchell may want to get some games into. I imagine he'd be starting on the outside when he's first introduced into the team.

He is certainly a handy player - kicks goals and works extremely hard. He was really really good during his best seasons at Collingwood. But at the end of the day the other players vying for a similar spot can offer thier class kicking skills and pace.

Last edited:
Probably the wrong thread to ask this question, but I wonder what the year has in store for Phillips?

Do we see further improvement from him? Are players like Downie, Bramble, Ward, Maginess, Butler, McDonald, Duke, etc, likely to force him out of B22?

Phillips is a really good test case to watch and see what our coaches value in terms of fast tracking a rebuild with draftees over the past 3 off seasons.

I see him holding a spot until some of our draftees develop a tank and force him out the team. He seemed to play his better footy as a half forward substructure will also be a factor.

I’m really looking forward to seeing some of our under 30 gamers in the pre season games. Players like Maginness and Downie should be busting down the door with a clear run at a pre season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillips is a really good test case to watch and see what our coaches value in terms of fast tracking a rebuild with draftees over the past 3 off seasons.

I see him holding a spot until some of our draftees develop a tank and force him out the team. He seemed to play his better footy as a half forward substructure will also be a factor.

I’m really looking forward to seeing some of our under 30 gamers in the pre season games. Players like Maginness and Downie should be busting down the door with a clear run at a pre season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we are to go to another level guys like Phillips, Sheils, perhaps even McEvoy feel pressure for their places. Phillips kept his spot last year because we didn't have elite performers like Smith and Hill as our outside runners. If Bramble or Day are moved to the wing and Downie takes a leap Phillips is far from certain to keep his spot. Not a bad thing really, we need greater depth and better output from our bottom 6 is the 22.
The guy I am really keen to get in and keep a spot is Seamus Mitchell. He has a lot of what we need, but obviously needs to show that he can do it at AFL level.

LOL, Freo either offered something back or they don’t think they were going to get a top 5 pick that everyone says Hawthorn will have.

LOL, Freo either offered something back or they don’t think they were going to get a top 5 pick that everyone says Hawthorn will have.

I don't believe we offered that without a future first coming back, Hawthorn could've offered the same to Brisbane

The draft as a whole is a gamble, they picked up 3 top ten prospects
Absolutely.

Who might turn out to be top 10...or might not

No one has won or stolen anything yet

Last edited:
No way we offered a future first and 23, absolutely laughable
"one offer included" Clearly click bait garbage reporting, sounds juicy until.... you add its a swap of Future First. So in reality it's 7(Future)+23 for 14(Future)+20.

Hawthorn could've traded with Brisbane or Melbourne both who woul'dve jumped for our Future First for this years First. Hawthorn if we truly considered at Pick 7 would've got a deal done way before Fremantles pick 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I will say is how unprofessional it is of Freo airing any dealings that we're done. Picking up Serong just before them has really got their knickers in a knot.

All I will say is how unprofessional it is of Freo airing any dealings that we're done. Picking up Serong just before them has really got their knickers in a knot.
Oh it’s clearly intentional to save face, but now it’s just showed how badly they wanted serong.

Does make you wonder wether we missed the boat in trading with Brisbane. No one was going to grab lohmann within the next couple of picks. Could’ve picked up a bonus second rounder which would probably be a pretty good one too. Would’ve gone a long way to covering Ashcroft next year.

If Ned Long is ~194cm and can run all day, why can't he be our lead up CHF?
Most of his highlights are of him playing forward.

He's a big lad already, so wonder if professional program/workload will see him lean up a bit and gain some mobility.
Wouldn't mind seeing him in the backing if he shows he can line up against some of the big ones. Having a good marking, strong and fit back man to muscle out and run with the Kings, Thilthorpe and other agile, tall and wiry forwards while providing some distance kicking might not be the worst thing for him. Would need a year or two at box Hill to iron out his kicking, Still reckon he will get a game off half forward if we get hit with injuries though, maybe off one of the bye rounds.

Interesting...
Sam Mitchell said:
Some of the focuses were culture and character. We thought the five lads we brought in, and the top three who I knew more about, were all high achievers.

“Our plan from a cultural point of view was to bring in high work ethic players of good character. That will drive our standards and push us forward to where we want to go.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back