Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a good deal for freo but they also had to take on brodie's 500 k a contract which we would never have done.
so a bit above league average for a very good young prospect when we have a ton of cap space? Would be disappointed if we would not have considered it.

We’re not finishing bottom 3 though.
I don't think we do but i actually think the league is probably the best it has been in some time in the bottom half.

I could see North, Hawthorn and Adelaide improving next year. Gold Coast on paper could but it is Gold Coast.

The only team i think is just really bad is Collingwood.

It's a good deal for freo but they also had to take on brodie's 500 k a contract which we would never have done.
I think this was our biggest mistake during the trade / draft period. We should have been more creative / aggressive in acquiring Brodie / McPherson / anyone else using our cap space in acquiring picks. That pick 19 was a perfect target for us and in retrospect would have landed us a really useful target (Johnson).
Aside from that our trade haul was solid without being spectacular, which I think is reasonable given our list profile. We've had a hell of a lot of change in the last 2 years so bringing solid citizens and good footballers first and foremost is a sound approach.
The big winners from the trade period is obviously Freo, but it goes like that when an A grader chooses to leave (Cerra), they picked wisely (local talent) and the cards fell their way. One of the best things we did is not dilute our picks for 2022 because they're going to be good picks. If one guy from our list chooses to move / is moved on and nets us an additional first rounder we can be the Freo of 2022 or the Dons of 2021 in terms of draft position.
Our list build is coming together, 2-3 years and we'll be a finals team I'm confident in saying. I like Mitchell's energy, he's our trump card now.
Go Hawkers!

so a bit above league average for a very good young prospect when we have a ton of cap space? Would be disappointed if we would not have considered it.

Are we talking about the same will brodie ? . Paying mcpherson 500 k I could understand because he fit a need.

Are we talking about the same will brodie ? . Paying mcpherson 500 k I could understand because he fit a need.
It is a salary dump, you are not taking it for the player. You are doing it for the pick.

He would be off our books by the time we have anything close to a cap squeeze. Either way hopefully next time we get to be the ones to benefit from the Suns incompetence.

I don't think we do but i actually think the league is probably the best it has been in some time in the bottom half.

I could see North, Hawthorn and Adelaide improving next year. Gold Coast on paper could but it is Gold Coast.

North Hawks and Crows havent really decided on a 'deliberate' hard rebuild, havent had that many low finishes recently. They acted as they have done because early picks are there for the taking when they found themselves low on the ladder.
Itll be interesting how fast they rise on the ladder

I think this was our biggest mistake during the trade / draft period. We should have been more creative / aggressive in acquiring Brodie / McPherson / anyone else using our cap space in acquiring picks. That pick 19 was a perfect target for us and in retrospect would have landed us a really useful target (Johnson).
Aside from that our trade haul was solid without being spectacular, which I think is reasonable given our list profile. We've had a hell of a lot of change in the last 2 years so bringing solid citizens and good footballers first and foremost is a sound approach.
The big winners from the trade period is obviously Freo, but it goes like that when an A grader chooses to leave (Cerra), they picked wisely (local talent) and the cards fell their way. One of the best things we did is not dilute our picks for 2022 because they're going to be good picks. If one guy from our list chooses to move / is moved on and nets us an additional first rounder we can be the Freo of 2022 or the Dons of 2021 in terms of draft position.
Our list build is coming together, 2-3 years and we'll be a finals team I'm confident in saying. I like Mitchell's energy, he's our trump card now.
Go Hawkers!
In hindsight yes… I’m sure if we’d known Johnson would be available then we’d go back and do it but when you already have 2 of the top 6 picks in the second round you probably feel pretty good. I think we also thought we’d probably trade a player out to get back into a reasonable draft position rather than take a player on we don’t really want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In hindsight yes… I’m sure if we’d known Johnson would be available then we’d go back and do it but when you already have 2 of the top 6 picks in the second round you probably feel pretty good. I think we also thought we probably do trade a player out to get back into a reasonable draft position rather than take a player on we don’t really want.
I thought at the time not being really aggressive at targeting that pick was a mistake. The first pick of the 2nd round is a real bargaining tool and GC wanted exactly what we have in abundance, and that is cap space. They're really short sighted GC, they're like rich kid that hasn't been taught the value of money.
Anyway, I still like our draft. Our culture is going to be strengthened with our acquisitions. They seem like real fabric type players, which shouldn't be understated given where we're at.

Keep your eye on the Saints. Cliff approaching, and they’re ready to knife Ratten.

No sh*t. You named players that aren’t even on the most anymore. 😂

Sorry Im not clear. we offered players 27+ this year not 28+ very few in that age ever draw first round picks anywhere. If the selection is 27+, only Sicily moves into the bracket where it seems we wanted a rare trade and didn't get one (Just free agency etc)

If we seriously want to draw top picks, we need to offer more (Its not what I want to happen btw)

getting #10 for Thommo at age 26 ish after drafting him at pick 50odd. It’s not happening today

Last edited:
Pretty uneventful trade period and draft. Happy with the picks and starting to really add some quality across the lines. One more A grader in the midfield and a key forward next year and the rebuilds taken shape quickly.

In hindsight yes… I’m sure if we’d known Johnson would be available then we’d go back and do it but when you already have 2 of the top 6 picks in the second round you probably feel pretty good. I think we also thought we’d probably trade a player out to get back into a reasonable draft position rather than take a player on we don’t really want.
Not that it counts to the salary cap but we're already paying 1 mill to Clarko so maybe the club was thinking taking on a 500k salary dump wouldn't be a good look. As decent a player as Johnson looks I kind of feel being a WA boy we might've dodged a bullet longterm missing out on him.

What's done is done and I've always been big on you should look at what you do have and not dwell on what you don't have. I was keen on us taking Sonsie but I will back our recruiters in 100 times out of 100 with the decisions that they've made. We've just added 3 kids to our midfield set up which is our weakest area by far. Sprinkle this in with the returns of Sicily and Gunston and who the hell knows what damage we can do in 2022.

Fox Footy WTF - how do some people keep their job?

It shouldn’t be surprising to see a Sam Mitchell led side have a bit of edge about it and that’s what the Hawks did on Thursday night, playing a slightly antagonistic role to both Carlton and Essendon, who were interested in MacDonald and Serong respectively.

Some savvy pick swaps saw the Hawks leapfrog both the Blues and the Bombers to pick up those two and leave their AFL rivals on the back foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back