Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Pretty uneventful trade period and draft. Happy with the picks and starting to really add some quality across the lines. One more A grader in the midfield and a key forward next year and the rebuilds taken shape quickly.
Need 2x outside midfielders IMO. We've got like 40x guys that can play inside, now need guys they can get the ball out to.

Need 2x outside midfielders IMO. We've got like 40x guys that can play inside, now need guys they can get the ball out to.
Look at my Av you heretic!!!!

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
If anyone wants to watch full games of the draftees to avoid highlights-bias, the Vic Metro Vs Vic Country game from earlier in the year, both Ward and MacDonald played very well. Ward BOG imo.

They look like clones, both wearing number 6 for opposite sides, pale skin and medium length black mullets.

Serong also played that game but I can't remember him as much. Number 23 for Vic Country.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There’s a material lack of size/power and outside class/speed in that group. Very workman like group overall. Relying on Nash to be a big bodied mid - no one else is going to worry the inside bulls of dees etc. Seems potentially a little like the richmond midfield group (but without the dusty and Bolton and Richmond group prob a bit quicker).
I’m hopeful we rookie list Ned Long (195cm, 92kg… size, strength, bodywork, tackling and endurance). He would seem to fit our draft strategy and provide that big bodied mid.
I’m also hopeful we rookie Ronald Fejo Jr (outside class / speed). Can we have both? 🥴

Alternatively, could the Hawks have their eye on a big bodied, classy, quick and skilled player in next years draft. Rome was not built in a day.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
All things considered attitude and the ability to get the footy is right up there when considerng a players value.
To this end I take great comfort in the repeated description of our draft picks as being accumulators and of great character.

Ward being named Captain of numerous teams is a fair reflection of how his leadership / attitude is viewed by those who should know

Whilst all these guys may be at the start of their journey's we've obviously targeted the key areas required both development and success going forward.

It's also worth noting the impact of our new coach and the subtle difference from our previous one.

bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
They'll get games in 2022, but I think we'll follow a similar trade week plan for 2022 where we attempt to move a player or two from the 28+ brigade out for picks or pick upgrades.
I think you can't underestimate the value of a year with these older chaps, especially Bruest and Gunston, for our young forwards. There will be a focus on midfield goal kickers for these youngsters, something we have been lacking, and i cant think of two better blokes to hand over the baton.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Interesting graphic in abc.net

C434D354-8104-4424-932A-9FC212B58799.jpeg

Hawk the Talk

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not that it counts to the salary cap but we're already paying 1 mill to Clarko so maybe the club was thinking taking on a 500k salary dump wouldn't be a good look. As decent a player as Johnson looks I kind of feel being a WA boy we might've dodged a bullet longterm missing out on him.

What's done is done and I've always been big on you should look at what you do have and not dwell on what you don't have. I was keen on us taking Sonsie but I will back our recruiters in 100 times out of 100 with the decisions that they've made. We've just added 3 kids to our midfield set up which is our weakest area by far. Sprinkle this in with the returns of Sicily and Gunston and who the hell knows what damage we can do in 2022.
Totally agree 👍🏼

Have to agree with this. Sure Sonsie was rated high, but he can’t skip this far and still be called a top 10 talent, can he?

Have to agree with this. Sure Sonsie was rated high, but he can’t skip this far and still be called a top 10 talent, can he?

I think the fact he was taken at pick 28 would mean he is quite literally not top 10 talent as it presently stands. Very hard to argue otherwise until he is out there playing.

I think the fact he was taken at pick 28 would mean he is quite literally not top 10 talent as it presently stands. Very hard to argue otherwise until he is out there playing.
Or that he has some other issues with his game that undermine that talent.

Something doesn't add up.

I mean he could go on to be a very good player but then is he a “top 10 talent” or really just a player who’s found “top 10 workrate” ? Hmmmm.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Jeka was a top 10 player in his under 17 year then we selected him in the rookie draft 12 months later.

Every chance that Sonsie has a career befitting his selection. Also every chance that he is better than that, but you get my point.

Back