Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sorta player is ZT? Midfielder?
Mid.

As per Souup. Souup had him ranked at 17.

Tier 4
15 - Paul Curtis
16 - Jack Williams
17 - Zac Taylor
18 - Hugh Jackson
19 - Ned Long
20 - Josh Ward
21 - Matt Roberts
22 - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - Toby Conway

Great pick-up mate! Not many talk about him but I've been a fan since watching him in round 1 this season and since then he's made the transition from wing to on-ball and absolutely torn it apart (averaging 31 touches, 7 marks, 7 clearances, 6 tackles, and 160 ranking points in the last 4 games). He's the Lachie Neale of this draft - no better comparison for me. He can do it on the inside as well as on the outside and is very clean.

I'd argue he's one of the best kicks in this draft (beautiful off both feet), and as you mentioned, he's agile, works hard around the ground and spreading from the contest and his delivery going inside 50 is sublime.

I think the reason no one is taking notice or talking about him is because of his size - everyone wants to find the next big-bodied midfielder in the mould of Cripps, Oliver, Bontempelli etc. and are too worried that those sleight-bodied closer to 180cm types will get bullied in there. When I put my rankings out the other day I had him in the top 20 and he won't be dropping out of that range.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely the list management team have seen enough of Horne now to put any talk of trading out Pick 1 to bed?

On the weekend while he wasn’t prolific, in a wet weather game he was clean, he was combative and he runs hard both ways. All as an 18 year old in a SANFL final.

He is by no means perfect, but it seems silly not to take a kid with this level of talent and competitiveness.

Many have said it, this kid could be a match winner and a potential superstar. This club has been crying out for a Marquee Player for a while now and while it’s no guarantee, this kid shows he has the tools to be anything. Unless some club is willing to sacrifice their future and give us the most ridiculous deal, then you turn off the phone and announce him on draft night.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely the list management team have seen enough of Horne now to put any talk of trading out Pick 1 to bed?

On the weekend while he wasn’t prolific, in a wet weather game he was clean, he was combative and he runs hard both ways. All as an 18 year old in a SANFL final.

He is by no means perfect, but it seems silly not to take a kid with this level of talent and competitiveness.

Many have said it, this kid could be a match winner and a potential superstar. This club has been crying out for a Marquee Player for a while now and while it’s no guarantee, this kid shows he has the tools to be anything. Unless some club is willing to sacrifice their future and give us the most ridiculous deal, then you turn off the phone and announce him on draft night.

Think it's fair to say that he ticks all the boxes that Noble, Clayton & Rawlings have preached.

Competitiveness
Leadership
Talent
Balance of attack & defense
Winning 1 on 1 contests
Clean 1 possession player

It's become clear to me that these are the traits which saw us recruit Phillips.

Themanbun

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Agreed. It's also clear that South Adelaide were using him defensively as well. He chased harder than his teammates, was always positioned on the defensive side of the stoppage, etc. I'd love to see what he could do if unleashed though.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agreed. It's also clear that South Adelaide were using him defensively as well. He chased harder than his teammates, was always positioned on the defensive side of the stoppage, etc. I'd love to see what he could do if unleashed though.

Hold him back for a GF BOG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think it's fair to say that he ticks all the boxes that Noble, Clayton & Rawlings have preached.

Competitiveness
Leadership
Talent
Balance of attack & defense
Winning 1 on 1 contests
Clean 1 possession player

It's become clear to me that these are the traits which saw us recruit Phillips.

Further to this... I'm a big WAP fan, but JHF is every bit that WAP is in each of these boxes, if not more.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To take it to the nth degree using recent precedent - WAP might be the Cotchin but JHF might be the Martin.
WAP will be Cunnington when he gets bigger

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmm can't see it think his frame is a limitation. Could be a gun though regardless.
Good point, I’m assuming if he could be a nuggetty broad tank he’d be a weapon

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
maybe im seeing what i want to see, and i do understand that daicos is putting up monstrous numbers and will probably be a good player, but thats not a very impressive highlights tape at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back