Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way Rachelle gets passed Carltons first if they he's there at that pick.

I'd love for us to take a risk similar to the Dees a few years ago, trade our '22 first and get into this draft around 8-12 and get Rachele. Everything I've read suggests he's exactly what we need in our forward line as a genuine goalkicking small.

Edit: Just thinking about this more, I see so much upside to trading our '22 1st into this draft. For one, we'd get great value. But also looking at our list profile, I just don't think it makes sense not to get that maximum value out of next years pick. Think about it for a second. After JHF, we probably don't need any mids. We're stacked for u22 mids as it is and JHF is the cream on top. After CCJ comes, with Comben, Edwards, and Larkey all here already and all under 23, we're stacked for young KPFs and in any case, any KPP that's drafted in '22 is going to develop too late to have a real effect with the group that we've already got. Which leaves us at looking to draft a hbf or a small forward next year anyway. Trade it out and get that player, Rachele, in a year earlier imo.

The thing is, if we traded into that range I'm not sure we'd even take Rachele.

I think if we had a pick in that range the club would be far more interested in Gibcus, Sinn, Amiss or even Goater.

I trust anyone suggesting trading out of the 2022 1st round can give at least a potted summary of the players expected to go in next year's 1st round?

The 2022 draft crop may come into the draft with a lot more exposed form than this lot. There's an argument that drafting precision will be higher next year so seller beware if you want to trade out of an early round.

I'd love for us to take a risk similar to the Dees a few years ago, trade our '22 first and get into this draft around 8-12 and get Rachele. Everything I've read suggests he's exactly what we need in our forward line as a genuine goalkicking small.

Edit: Just thinking about this more, I see so much upside to trading our '22 1st into this draft. For one, we'd get great value. But also looking at our list profile, I just don't think it makes sense not to get that maximum value out of next years pick. Think about it for a second. After JHF, we probably don't need any mids. We're stacked for u22 mids as it is and JHF is the cream on top. After CCJ comes, with Comben, Edwards, and Larkey all here already and all under 23, we're stacked for young KPFs and in any case, any KPP that's drafted in '22 is going to develop too late to have a real effect with the group that we've already got. Which leaves us at looking to draft a hbf or a small forward next year anyway. Trade it out and get that player, Rachele, in a year earlier imo.

Agreed.

I trust anyone suggesting trading out of the 2022 1st round can give at least a potted summary of the players expected to go in next year's 1st round?

The 2022 draft crop may come into the draft with a lot more exposed form than this lot. There's an argument that drafting precision will be higher next year so seller beware if you want to trade out of an early round.
Nah, no idea. The reason I think we should trade out of it simply due to our list profile and age demographic and it's regardless of who's there next year. After JHF, I don't think we need anymore mids. The biggest gaps: KPD, small goalkicking forward, and classy half-back.

I personally think that drafting a KPD in 2022 is a bad fit for our age demographic. By the time they develop it's 2027 or later and our core is getting near or past 30. I think we should be targeting that player through FA and trades, similar to what we seem to have done with CCJ.

Now, there might be a classy halfback or small forward worthy of our top 5 pick next year, sure, but I think we can extract maximum value from that pick by trading it this year and still taking the type of player that we're probably going to take anyway.

We need to find another North for it to work. Not going to be easy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hollands brother looks excellent & right around that top 5 range where our pick could land.

2022 draft class from what I’ve seen and heard looks to have lots of different types of players that could fit different needs in our squad. There are players I like at small forward, key forward, key defender, outside midfield or half back and then just guys with pure X-factor. I think this is valuable because if we have another high pick we aren’t pigeonholed into any selection but can pick for needs and it won’t be a reach.

Also, I wouldn’t trade back in for a small forward this year nor would I use pick 20 on one, I think they can be found later in the draft and I think we will end up having to rotate mids through small forward anyways.

Another part of that for me is Cooper Harvey, who for arguments sake is let’s say a 2nd round pick next year, is more than likely going to be a midfielder in u18s but I’m sure will be pigeonholed into a small forward when he is drafted to us.

2022 draft class from what I’ve seen and heard looks to have lots of different types of players that could fit different needs in our squad. There are players I like at small forward, key forward, key defender, outside midfield or half back and then just guys with pure X-factor. I think this is valuable because if we have another high pick we aren’t pigeonholed into any selection but can pick for needs and it won’t be a reach.

Also, I wouldn’t trade back in for a small forward this year nor would I use pick 20 on one, I think they can be found later in the draft and I think we will end up having to rotate mids through small forward anyways.

Another part of that for me is Cooper Harvey, who for arguments sake is let’s say a 2nd round pick next year, is more than likely going to be a midfielder in u18s but I’m sure will be pigeonholed into a small forward when he is drafted to us.
I asked PMBangers about Cooper the other week and he has him at 40+ atm but obviously that's off limited exposure and could change next year.

Trade Jed?

You blokes must of liked giving away your lunch money at school.

He’s the only thing stopping us from being flat out bullied.

He can’t kick, but that’s not going to be his job hopefully.
Was about to say something exactly like this. Jed is our enforcer while we continue to build this young list of budding superstars.
He loves our club, he's a cannonball, depth in the midfield, can kick a goal and most importantly has a bunch of young boys we need to secure under the father/son rule.

I wouldn’t be counting on us drafting him at all tbh.

I think next year is the year to start getting creative with future picks. 2022 will likely be another top 4-6 pick, which is worth more to us than just about anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is also a chance guys who missed out this draft are available next year as well. So picks next year may be very valuable.

On the other hand (and especially with CCJ coming,) another early pick or two this year means a bigger block of players in that 2016 - 2021 draft range.

There's no way Rachelle gets passed Carltons first if they he's there at that pick.
carlton will ***k it up somehow. Will probably go to Cerra anyway…

No idea and won’t pretend to! I just reckon Rachele will be scary good and could be our best small forward since LT.

There is also a chance guys who missed out this draft are available next year as well. So picks next year may be very valuable.

On the other hand (and especially with CCJ coming,) another early pick or two this year means a bigger block of players in that 2016 - 2021 draft range.
Fair call. Although they mightn’t get past the mid-season draft if they were that unlucky this year

Agreed, the KPD V HBF debate at 20 will be consuming a considerable amount of their time you'd imagine.

If it were me, I'd be going off "best available" with a talent order like this:
Sinn (HBF)
Wanganeen-Milera (HBF)
Wilmot (HBF)
Bhazzo (KPD)
Van Rooyen (KPD/KPF)
Going to be very interesting, but I loved the class of WM. Exactly what we need.

If only go near it for 2 picks;
1 in 8-12 + 1 in 12-18

Play on everyone thinking we're s**t and they'll get pick #1-4

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glad someone shares my sentiments re Rachele. He looks very tidy and fills a gaping hole in our forward line. Only knock on him is he plays for the wrong Shepp team.

I think personally Richmond is the one. Their pick 7 is a safe bet to get him. We are already negotiating with them over CCJ and they’ll gladly hedge their bets it’ll get them a better pick next year. Plus they still have a pick in the first round this year. And it softens the blow on missing out on Kosi Pickett in 2019 😂 whom I reckon Rachele will be every bit as good as
I reckon getting Powell softens it up a tad different players obviously but all class is our Powell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back