Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSholl

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2021
In Arjen's head
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah bid talk is always crazy this time of year but the draft usually surprises. If you say it's gonna be 1. Daicos 2. Darcy 3. Horne in September then good chance in December the Darcy pick is closer to pick 10 than pick 1 and the Daicos bid is left to the Hawks. The Crows obviously bid on pick 1 last year but the Crows bid on everything, they were the ones that made us pay up for Thomas.

They bid on JUH so they could pick Rowe later on, as the Dogs were also interested.

Why would the Dogs pass? They're not going to get a comparable prospect at pick 17.
English, Naughton, Ugle-Hagen, I envy their KPP & ruck depth but adding Darcy to that I just have reservations that’s what they are happiest to do if the pick is 1/2
Agree though with it’s a better than pick 17 but not sure he would go later than 5

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Daicos maybe as you know Collingwood will match.

It might be more of a risk with Darcy.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I am pretty confident the Dogs would match as it would cost them a late 1st and 2nd pick to get a top 5 player, they would be silly not to do it, but they may want to teach a club a lesson if they were to bid too early, I would not be doing it unless we would be happy with Darcy instead of JHF

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
That's some big brain stuff. Rowe looks like a real listclogger, too.
I thought he may have been a bit of a peanut, but I sat with him & his dad at the Panthers game last week (he’s best mates with my cousin) & they were both actually really good guys.
Rowey in particular I’ve thought on 5AA has always been harsh on North, so really haven’t liked his work over the years.
Off air though he was completely laid back & happy to just be at the footy talking footy & having a beer.
It was funny when we were chatting about JHF though & he said something along the lines of “He’ll just come back to SA, like Tom Powell will next year.” To which I informed him that he’d actually recently signed a contract extension. “Oh. Has he? Uhhh…”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do “experts” like KM realise he had to kick that on the outside of his boot with the direction he was running? That takes skill
And kicked it to he’s teammates advantage to run onto …
We still have posters saying he has a Kicking deficiency?!

WAFL colts: Jacob van Rooyen, Eric Benning, Angus Sheldrick and more power Claremont to third consecutive grand final
Jordan McArdle
The West Australian
Sun, 19 September 2021

Claremont colts coach Matt Angus has hailed gun forward Jacob van Rooyen a big-game player after his semi-final heroics against minor premiers Swan Districts at Revo Fitness Stadium on Sunday.

Draft hopefuls van Rooyen, Angus Sheldrick and Eric Benning powered the Tigers into their third consecutive WAFL colts decider.

Van Rooyen was the dominant forward on the ground with 4.4, while midfield bull Sheldrick booted three goals after a corky forced him into attack.

Benning did his job in the ruck on return from a calf injury, after half-time especially, to finish with 15 possessions, 15 hit-outs and seven inside 50s.

Claremont trailed by as much as 21 points early in the second half before coming home with a wet sail, kicking the last three goals of the match to prevail by nine - 11.14 (80) to 11.5 (71).

All of van Rooyen’s four majors came in the second half, taking his season tally to 30.14 from eight matches.

“He gets the job done against the competition’s best teams,” Angus said.

“In my opinion he’s the best forward in the competition and we’re really confident that he’ll become a very good AFL player.

“He was sensational again, Eric Benning was really good as well and we had a lot of other good performers.

“Kendyll Blurton was outstanding in the midfield, I think he had seven tackles in the second half, and Jacquin Ciminata was another catalyst with eight tackles.

“Our captain Sean Williams and the back seven defended really well all day, George Graham is in really good form at the moment.”

The win means Claremont’s State 19s representatives will get to play in the AFL grand final curtain-raiser at Optus Stadium next Saturday against South Australia before featuring in their own decider the following weekend at the same venue.

However classy half-forward Max Mumme suffered a suspected broken arm.

Swan Districts, who were well serviced by James Sullivan (four goals) up forward and the Hewett brothers - Elijah (26 disposals and six inside 50s) and Ben (17 and 10 tackles) - in the midfield, get a second chance against East Fremantle in next Sunday’s preliminary final.

The fast-finishing Sharks ended East Perth’s season in straight sets with a hard-fought 17-point win at Leederville Oval on Saturday.

East Fremantle booted four goals to one in the final term of the 7.11 (53) to 5.6 (36) result after only three across the first three quarters.

AFL Academy jet Jack Williams (two goals) stood tall in the second half, while fellow WA player Josh Browne had a game-high 30 disposals.

Kale Paton kept WAFL colts leading goal-kicker Jye Amiss goalless in a game-defining performance.

The Royals sorely missed midfield ace Kade Dittmar who was out with concussion, but will be free to play in the WA v SA 19s clash next week.

Link-up forward Ethan Regan started the game well for East Perth but suffered a nasty concussion late in the match which will rule him out of State duties.

James Tunstill and Kalani Brooks worked hard in the Royals’ engine room and bottom-aged defenders Jedd Busslinger and Reuben Ginbey did some good things.

This clipping is from the September 20 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

VICS ON DRAFT RADAR
Herald Sun - Monday, 20 Sep 2021 - Page 61

15 of top 20 picks home grown

THE bulk of the first 40 picks in this year’s AFL national draft are poised to

be used on Victorian prospects in a sign players from the state will not be disadvantaged despite a disastrous two years.

Data compiled by club recruiting departments shows potential Victorian draftees have played an average of just 6.7 games of football across the past two seasons due to Covid-19 lockdowns.

Injuries to some highly touted players this year, including Greater Western Victoria’s Ben Hobbs and Sandringham Dragons pair Josh Sinn and Campbell Chesser, will make drafting youngsters even harder.

By contrast, most South Australian and West Australian counterparts have played between 20 and 35 matches over the same two-year period, having experienced largely uninterrupted seasons in the SANFL and WAFL.

Some Victorian draft prospects have become increasingly anxious their limited appearances will see them overlooked for more exposed interstate talent on draft night.

But multiple clubs said this would not be the case and confirmed Victorian players would feature very prominently in the draft.

About 15 of the top 20 picks are expected to come from Victoria, which is also poised to have strong representation in the second and third rounds. “We still think their talent is better than what we’re seeing elsewhere,” one recruiter said.

Many Victorian draft prospects took part in under-16 national championships in 2019 in addition to the games they have played this year, giving recruiters a level of confidence to select them.

Clubs believe the main difficulty is ranking players on their draft boards.

The top 10 players in the draft are largely agreed on but ranking the next 30 picks is considered “messy” due to varying levels of exposure.

Only 59 players were selected in last year’s national draft and clubs expect a similar number of picks to be used this year. However, there will be further opportunities for players in the rookie draft, as well as the mid-season draft next year.

Recruiters have been forced to interview Victorian draft prospects over Zoom but are hopeful of conducting more face-to-face meetings with players and parents before the draft as restrictions ease.

It is also hoped Vic Metro and Vic Country sides will compete in some more matches before the draft after the under-18 national championships were pushed back due to lockdowns and state border closures.

chris.cavanagh@news.com.au

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

1632085427328.png

Sent from my iPad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WAFL Colts Watch

Swan Districts Vs Claremont

Swan Districts:

Rhett Bazzo - 7 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal
Max Chipper - 22 disposlas 6 marks, 1 tackle

Claremont:

Angus Sheldrick - 18 disposals, 3 goals
Jacob Van Rooyen - 13 disposals, 5 marks, kicked 4.4 (BOG)
Jahmal Stretch - 13 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal
Eric Benning - 15 disposals, 7 inside 50's, 15 Hitouts

East Perth Vs East Fremantle

East Perth

Jye Amiss - 9 Disposals, 3 marks, 1 behind

East Fremantle

Josh Brown - 30 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles
Corey Warner - 21 Disposals, 3 marks, 2 behinds
Jack Williams - 17 disposals, 9 marks, 7 hitouts, kicked 2.3
Josh Cripps - 10 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles 12 hitouts, 1 goal

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WAFL Colts Watch

Swan Districts Vs Claremont

Swan Districts:

Rhett Bazzo - 7 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal
Max Chipper - 22 disposlas 6 marks, 1 tackle

Claremont:

Angus Sheldrick - 18 disposals, 3 goals
Jacob Van Rooyen - 13 disposals, 5 marks, kicked 4.4 (BOG)
Jahmal Stretch - 13 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal
Eric Benning - 15 disposals, 7 inside 50's, 15 Hitouts

East Perth Vs East Fremantle

East Perth

Jye Amiss - 9 Disposals, 3 marks, 1 behind

East Fremantle

Josh Brown - 30 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles
Corey Warner - 21 Disposals, 3 marks, 2 behinds
Jack Williams - 17 disposals, 9 marks, 7 hitouts, kicked 2.3
Josh Cripps - 10 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles 12 hitouts, 1 goal

Van Rooyen is certainly over the early season illness.

He's definitely a top 10 (playing like the top 5 predicted talent he was pre-season) talent, someone is going to get for a snip.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With all of the attention on SA and WA boys there's going to be some real Vic gems later in the draft for the experts that can see them.

I swear I'm not one eyed but it seemed ridiculous to get Ford in the 50s while types that seemed more speculative went in the teens and 20s last year.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Van Rooyen is certainly over the early season illness.

He's definitely a top 10 (playing like the top 5 predicted talent he was pre-season) talent, someone is going to get for a snip.

Jack Williams is another who is doing his chances of sneaking into the top 20 no harm. Has had an outstanding 5 weeks. Minus one game where he had a few injury concerns.

1632092644677.png

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As long as one of them falls to our second pick.
I don't see many phantoms where Jack Williams goes in the first round. He's a lump of a lad and that isn't so fashionable these days. Our recruiters haven't really looked at any players without athleticism (except for Mahony) since Brady took over.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't see many phantoms where Jack Williams goes in the first round. He's a lump of a lad and that isn't so fashionable these days. Our recruiters haven't really looked at any players without athleticism (except for Mahony) since Brady took over.

Yeah, I think he might slide a bit for that reason. He definitely lacks the top end athleticism of most of the best forwards. He reminds me athletically a bit of Cale Hooker.

When you scroll through the KPF's left in the league, there's not many dinosaurs left anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back