Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give our 2nd this year and 2nd next year?
I think that would be a good move but keeping in mind our second rounders will be early second rounders (this year at least) we should be getting a top 10 pick back in return but can’t see us finding a suitor for that deal tbh

Northern Knights 3.2 5.4 7.5 8.8 (56)
Bendigo Pioneers 5.0 8.4 10.5 12.7 (79)

GOALS:
Northern Knights: Seivers 2 Chubb 2 Bowne Trudgeon Hogg Rossimel
Bendigo Pioneers: Reid 3 O'Keefe 2 Pearce 2 Gallagher 2 Nihill Monti Hare

BEST:
Northern Knights: Trudgeon Kankaanpaa Wilmot Seivers Chubb Watson
Bendigo Pioneers: Reid O'Keefe Stevens Hallinan Thompson Gallagher

Nathan Thompson's boy named in the bests for Bendigo

Western Jets 2.1 5.3 7.6 7.7 (49)
Geelong Falcons 1.3 5.5 7.7 11.13 (79)

GOALS:
Western Jets: Curtis Conway D'Ambrosio Miksa Dowdy Pavlidis Raak
Geelong Falcons: Annandale 3 Gadsby 2 Baker 2 Gillett 2 Loftus Northam

BEST:
Western Jets: D'Ambrosio Pritchard Curtis Conway Azzopardi Reynolds
Geelong Falcons: Knevitt Northam Gadsby Annandale Loftus Clark

Dandenong Stingrays 2.4 4.4 6.10 9.10 (64)
Eastern Ranges 1.4 8.7 12.9 13.13 (91)

GOALS:
Dandenong Stingrays: Culley 2 Bergman 2 Taylor 2 Robinson Milford Bravo
Eastern Ranges: Arundell 3 Charlton 3 Ali 2 Windsor 2 Hall Watson Soligo

BEST:
Dandenong Stingrays: Bravo Campbell-Farrell Bergman Andrew Jakstas Taylor
Eastern Ranges: Weatherill Leiu Soligo Clarke Hall Charlton

Gippsland Power 2.2 4.4 5.6 12.9 (81)
Oakleigh Chargers 3.1 4.3 8.5 9.5 (59)

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: O'Brien 2 Doultree 2 Serong Turton Duursma Noblett Hawkins Cross Garnham Humphrey
Oakleigh Chargers: Ashwin 3 Tucker 2 Rogers Collins Kelvie Bedford

BEST:
Gippsland Power: Moschetti Rathjen Van Oostveen Cross D'Angelo Turton
Oakleigh Chargers: Tucker Jenkins Ashwin Guiney O'Keeffe Collins

Murray Bushrangers 1.0 2.2 4.2 6.3 (39)
Calder Cannons 1.1 3.4 5.5 7.7 (49)

GOALS:
Murray Bushrangers: Smith 3 George Longmire Bradshaw
Calder Cannons: Newitt 2 Alessio Egan Paea Pascu Andronaco

BEST:
Murray Bushrangers: Warburton Chalcraft Hallows Bracher Beasley Norton
Calder Cannons: Paea Burquest Taylor Whitnall Goater Gentile

Greater Western Victoria Rebels 1.3 3.4 5.6 6.10 (46)
Sandringham Dragons 3.0 6.4 8.6 10.10 (70)

GOALS:
Greater Western Victoria Rebels: Kellett 3 Hobbs Butler Lohmann
Sandringham Dragons: Howes 2 Visentini 2 Vesely 2 Mansfield Soylemez Blamires Lowe

BEST:
Greater Western Victoria Rebels: Molan Hobbs Herbert Ballantyne Lohmann Rentsch
Sandringham Dragons: Benton Owens Howes Visentini Mckay Lewis

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
l hate to say it but if what Noble says about a good small forward then l'm thinking pick#1 is on the table for 2 picks in the top 10 and maybe look at Callaghan and Rachele.....with North going all out on Kelly for the midfireld...

Yeah because there's no chance we would take a small forward with a pick that wasn't pick 1.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah because there's no chance we would take a small forward with a pick that wasn't pick 1.

You obviously missed this completely made up quote then:

Glenn Luff "I've said all along the only place you can really find an elite small forward is with the first selection in the national draft. After that they're all just fillers and shitmens"

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goater dropped o_O could he potentially drift to the second round?

Played back flank this week and had 28 touches @ 86% disposal efficiency (21 kicks going at 86% too)

Took a number of intercept marks, provided excellent drive from defense with his run and carry and hit a number of difficult kicks by foot showing a ton of composure coming out of defense.

No idea what he's watching but my view of Goater only went up now that he's demonstrated the ability to play very well off a back flank.

Goater has taken his game to another level in the last 2 months

Last edited:

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Played back flank this week and had 28 touches @ 86% disposal efficiency (21 kicks going at 86% too)

Took a number of intercept marks, provided excellent drive from defense with his run and carry and hit a number of difficult kicks by foot showing a ton of composure coming out of defense.

No idea what he's watching but my view of Goater only went up now that he's demonstrated the ability to play very well off a back flank.

Thanks for that info, cheers. It seems he won't drift to our second pick as it stands.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sounds perfect for us with our 2nd.

Who is the best half back flanker after Sinn?

Who do you think projects to be the closest to a Tom Stewart clone?

Thanks mate!

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sounds perfect for us with our 2nd.

Who is the best half back flanker after Sinn?

Who do you think projects to be the closest to a Tom Stewart clone?

Thanks mate!

2 we could potentially grab with our 2nd rounder would be Darcy Wilmot and Tom Brown. Darcy Wilmot is a personal favourite - I have him in the top 10 but think he's an outside chance of being at our 2nd rounder. Tom Brown is one that I've recently gone back and looked through his footage and I really like. He'd slot into my top 15 if I re-did it. Excellent athletically and good size at 186cm.

Callaghan and Goater could both play off a back flank at AFL level but unless we grab them with our 1st round pick, we're no chance.

I don't really have any that come to mind and remind me of Stewart - if there was you'd know their name and they'd be projected as a top 10 pick.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2 we could potentially grab with our 2nd rounder would be Darcy Wilmot and Tom Brown. Darcy Wilmot is a personal favourite - I have him in the top 10 but think he's an outside chance of being at our 2nd rounder. Tom Brown is one that I've recently gone back and looked through his footage and I really like. He'd slot into my top 15 if I re-did it. Excellent athletically and good size at 186cm.

Callaghan and Goater could both play off a back flank at AFL level but unless we grab them with our 1st round pick, we're no chance.

I don't really have any that come to mind and remind me of Stewart - if there was you'd know their name and they'd be projected as a top 10 pick.

I like Wilmott, just seems perfect for us.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Don’t want anyone called Tom brown thx 😏

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Managed to watch the Cannons game on the weekend. Was hoping to get a look at Darby Scott but he didn’t get a gig.

Goater (who I’d never seen play) looked a beauty. Controlled the back half and was an aerial threat all day. With his height and athleticism he striked me as a Jordan Ridley clone.

Other Cannons players who caught my eye…

Liam Podhajski impressed me again. Nice mark, good work rate and his tapwork is akin to a young Goldy. Seen two of his games now and each time I’ve been I’ve liked what I’ve seen.

Sam Paea, full forward looked more than capable. Got up the ground a lot, aggressive key forward with good hands. Loves to compete and hit the contest hard.

Flynn Gentile, industrious, zippy and works hard in close. Really neat disposer but lacks a bit of depth in his kicking. Probably a late pick because he is a little bit on the shorter side.

Zac Taylor. Thought he was purely an outside player but he showed plenty on the inside on the weekend. Agile, dynamic and always on the move. Think he’ll have no worries stepping up to the next level.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Managed to watch the Cannons game on the weekend. Was hoping to get a look at Darby Scott but he didn’t get a gig.

Goater (who I’d never seen play) looked a beauty. Controlled the back half and was an aerial threat all day. With his height and athleticism he striked me as a Jordan Ridley clone.

Other Cannons players who caught my eye…

Liam Podhajski impressed me again. Nice mark, good work rate and his tapwork is akin to a young Goldy. Seen two of his games now and each time I’ve been I’ve liked what I’ve seen.

Sam Paea, full forward looked more than capable. Got up the ground a lot, aggressive key forward with good hands. Loves to compete and hit the contest hard.

Flynn Gentile, industrious, zippy and works hard in close. Really neat disposer but lacks a bit of depth in his kicking. Probably a late pick because he is a little bit on the shorter side.

Zac Taylor. Thought he was purely an outside player but he showed plenty on the inside on the weekend. Agile, dynamic and always on the move. Think he’ll have no worries stepping up to the next level.
Great notes, thanks

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great pick-up mate! Not many talk about him but I've been a fan since watching him in round 1 this season and since then he's made the transition from wing to on-ball and absolutely torn it apart (averaging 31 touches, 7 marks, 7 clearances, 6 tackles, and 160 ranking points in the last 4 games). He's the Lachie Neale of this draft - no better comparison for me. He can do it on the inside as well as on the outside and is very clean.

I'd argue he's one of the best kicks in this draft (beautiful off both feet), and as you mentioned, he's agile, works hard around the ground and spreading from the contest and his delivery going inside 50 is sublime.

I think the reason no one is taking notice or talking about him is because of his size - everyone wants to find the next big-bodied midfielder in the mould of Cripps, Oliver, Bontempelli etc. and are too worried that those sleight-bodied closer to 180cm types will get bullied in there. When I put my rankings out the other day I had him in the top 20 and he won't be dropping out of that range.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great pick-up mate! Not many talk about him but I've been a fan since watching him in round 1 this season and since then he's made the transition from wing to on-ball and absolutely torn it apart (averaging 31 touches, 7 marks, 7 clearances, 6 tackles, and 160 ranking points in the last 4 games). He's the Lachie Neale of this draft - no better comparison for me. He can do it on the inside as well as on the outside and is very clean.

I'd argue he's one of the best kicks in this draft (beautiful off both feet), and as you mentioned, he's agile, works hard around the ground and spreading from the contest and his delivery going inside 50 is sublime.

I think the reason no one is taking notice or talking about him is because of his size - everyone wants to find the next big-bodied midfielder in the mould of Cripps, Oliver, Bontempelli etc. and are too worried that those sleight-bodied closer to 180cm types will get bullied in there. When I put my rankings out the other day I had him in the top 20 and he won't be dropping out of that range.

I watched him play earlier in the year and he was definitely more outside than he was on the weekend. Not sure if it was purely the role he was playing but he didn't really want to get his hands dirty. In saying that he was a totally different player on the weekend. The thing that stood out the most to me was the way he transitioned from inside to outside the contest with ease and was able to link up (sometimes multiple times) in the same chain of possession. Seemed to me that he had really good footy IQ with his positioning, and he rarely made a mistake with his disposal. Would like to see what his overall DE% was because I'd imagine it would've been bloody high. I didn't think his height was much of a problem, but neither the Bushrangers or the Cannons have a particularly tall midfield.

On a side note, there weren't many from the Murray Bushrangers that stood out to me.

Ethan Warburton was named BOG for them, he found plenty of the footy, both inside and outside the contest but I thought his decision making was poor. Very risk adverse and just seemed to go long down the line, which allowed the Cannons to intercept far too often. Just not damaging enough for mine.

I'd argue Kade Chalcraft was their best. He was working hard all over the ground as a midfielder. He'd pop up in D50 and in F50 providing an option. Looked to have elite workrate. Not afraid of the hard stuff either. Has a little bit of explosiveness away from the contest and used the ball pretty well. Very mature body for a kid his age.

No (non-Darcy) key forward in the top 20... It probably won't end up that way on draft night, but if it does and we don't bring in a KPF via trade or FA, then surely we pick the best big forward available with our 2nd rounder.

No (non-Darcy) key forward in the top 20... It probably won't end up that way on draft night, but if it does and we don't bring in a KPF via trade or FA, then surely we pick the best big forward available with our 2nd rounder.
Jacob van Rooyen was one key forward that was being talked up earlier in the year (and maybe last year as well from memory). Anyone know how he's going?

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If rachelle is available at say pick 15+ I'd try my best to try and move up the draft for him with our 2nd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back