Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lightening quick, probably more of a mid than a small forward at this stage. If available, I would not have picked him in the phantom.

Sold

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am participating in a fan-run phantom draft and approached it with needs in mind.

I took:

1# JHF - well derrrr.....

22# Rhett Bazzo - I did consider Leek Aleer here as he was still available, but I was put off a bit by his limited disposal and rebound. I chose Bazzo over Aleer in the end because I feel he's a tad more versatile and a better distributor than Aleer. In a backline with Corr and McKay, it would be nice to have a KPD with good kicking and disposal skills. Aleer went #36 in the same phantom draft, so maybe I am not alone in my assessment (based on other write-ups, lol).

42# Jamal Stretch - I had a long hard think about how to fill North's small forward stocks and researched a few SA and WA prospects. I did consider Isaiah Dudley and Arthur Jones as real smaller pacey options, but I had concerns over Dudley's size and Jones' ability as a pure small forward playing as a winger most of this year. Jahmal is a pure forward, has got good forward nous, a fantastic leap, good size at 181cm for a small forward, got good speed (not quite like Jones or Dudley, but good for a small) had good defensive numbers and is a pressure-first forward with a plenty of tricks. The leap and defensive-first stuff really sold me.

43# Sam Banks - A rebounding HB replacement for Hall/Ziebell rather than a pure lockdown small defender. A good interceptor, decent-enough speed, good rebounder, a long penetrating kick, classy and versatility to play in the midfield or wing. I did consider Blayne O'Loughlin and a few other options, but his size was a slight concern and his excellent kicking can be a bit off sometimes.

I will be upgrading Edwards with my last pick and looking at Jackson Archer as a rookie.

Hopefully people like the choices.
I believe Edwards' deal involves staying on the rookie list for the next 2 years while he develops, so if you want our 5th pick can be 'live' as well. Ronald Fejo Jnr. is one I'd look at, speculative but he has a lot of quality traits.

I believe Edwards' deal involves staying on the rookie list for the next 2 years while he develops, so if you want our 5th pick can be 'live' as well. Ronald Fejo Jnr. is one I'd look at, speculative but he has a lot of quality traits.

I didn’t know that, we can always upgrade him later I suppose.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've noticed most of this board has fallen in love with Rhett Bazzo - did someone drop some intel on this one?

Little surprised to be honest. He has a fair bit of Matthew Richardson about him in the sense that he wears his heart on his sleeve to the point where he checks out mentally. I've seen him get over-emotional on more than one occasion and put in some extremely lazy/poor efforts as a result of getting thrown off his game due to being frustrated/upset.

Don't get me wrong, if we took him with our 2nd rounder I'd be very happy but I'm not sure why Bazzo seems to be the one everyone on here has fallen in love with at our 2nd pick. There will be plenty of guys at this range that we should be excited about potentially acquiring.

Firebat

Premium Platinum
Feb 23, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
C's
Don't get me wrong, if we took him with our 2nd rounder I'd be happy, but I'm not sure why Bazzo seems to be the one everyone on here has fallen in love with at our 2nd pick.

I think it's the fact he looks / appears like the most likely best available key position defender available in the 20s. At least that was the reason I'd asked about him previously. His size looked suited for the modern game in a key defensive post.

hoffseason gains

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've noticed most of this board has fallen in love with Rhett Bazzo - did someone drop some intel on this one?

Little surprised to be honest. He has a fair bit of Matthew Richardson about him in the sense that he wears his heart on his sleeve to the point where he checks out mentally. I've seen him get over-emotional on more than one occasion and put in some extremely lazy/poor efforts as a result of getting thrown off his game due to being frustrated/upset.

Don't get me wrong, if we took him with our 2nd rounder I'd be very happy but I'm not sure why Bazzo seems to be the one everyone on here has fallen in love with at our 2nd pick. There will be plenty of guys at this range that we should be excited about potentially acquiring.
I saw an eagles poster on one of the draft boards say that there’s question marks over his mentality but more in terms of commitment. If this is actually the case I think we’d pass over him at 20 but would consider him later.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

As an aside from Bazzo, was it you mate that was really big on Jack Williams at the start of the season (IIRC you had him as a top 10 talent). I was surprised to see him go in some mock drafts around our picks in the 40's... has he declined that much? Would he be a no-brainer to take at one of those third rounders if still on the board?

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You are speaking from a (presumed) position of actually knowing about the draftees and their future development, something that 95% of us can’t accurately admit to being ourselves.

I know that some who claim to know what they are talking about have spoken about Amiss, Van Rooyen and Bazzo as likely picks for no.20 over the last three months. The first two have optically shot ahead based on strong performances leaving Bazzo as a possible remaining name.

Almost everyone here are like mushrooms when it comes to info on draftees - fed s**t and kept in the dark and are just fantasy guesstimating at the end of the day.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I know that some who claim to know what they are talking about have spoken about Amiss, Van Rooyen and Bazzo as likely picks for no.20 over the last three months. The first two have optically shot ahead based on strong performances leaving Bazzo as a possible remaining name.

The good thing about JVR and Amiss shooting up the order is something potentially impossible to resist may slip out which may push that KPD (Bazzo/Aleer) as a later option. Both of those could/should be there if we trade into 27 for example.

I wouldn't be surprised if 1 and 20 were best available and needs later.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dumb question, but do the club talent scouts actually have the opportunity to talk to the kids below their second draft pick beforehand, to Suss out their attitude, headspace, long term goals etc? Like I can see how they’d find the time to chat to their top 10 favourite kids, and hope that a couple of them are available, but given so much of what happens outside the top picks and the f/s arrangements is unknown, do they just have to go off studying their videoed performances and then order them accordingly? Or is basically every club talking to every top 100 draft candidate every year?

Last edited:

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As an aside from Bazzo, was it you mate that was really big on Jack Williams at the start of the season (IIRC you had him as a top 10 talent). I was surprised to see him go in some mock drafts around our picks in the 40's... has he declined that much? Would he be a no-brainer to take at one of those third rounders if still on the board?

Yep that was me. His performances this year have been consistently better than any of the talls in this draft in my view, his issue is his athleticism/potential (or lack thereof). In addition to this, he's seen as a bit of a tweener positionally. You'd love for him to be a forward/ruck at the next level (which is what he plays in u18's), but he doesn't have the leap or height to be effective in this way at AFL level.

He has the best foot-skills of any tall in this draft in my opinion (it's not close) and excellent footy IQ. Whether teams feel this makes up for his lack of athleticism is going to be the key factor in determining when he gets selected. I have him around ~15-20.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Who would you be taking as a KPD in this draft? Leek Aleer, Bazzo and Charlie Dean seem to be the only 3 I know anything about who we might have access to.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who would you be taking as a KPD in this draft? Leek Aleer, Bazzo and Charlie Dean seem to be the only 3 I know anything about who we might have access to.

If JVR is there at pick 20 I'd go him, Leek Aleer I wouldn't consider until our 3rd pick at the earliest. Charlie Dean potential rookie.

Oscar Morrison is one I really like and think we could grab him with a late selection. Played KPD for Geelong Falcons this season and more than held his own against everyone he came up against, even when undersized.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Richo went alright though didn’t he? I don’t know Bazzo as well as you do, but I don’t necessarily think heart on the sleeve passion is a fault. Players expecting high standards of one another is a plus in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If JVR is there at pick 20 I'd go him, Leek Aleer I wouldn't consider until our 3rd pick at the earliest. Charlie Dean potential rookie.

Oscar Morrison is one I really like and think we could grab him with a late selection. Played KPD for Geelong Falcons this season and more than held his own against everyone he came up against, even when undersized.
To me Aleer disposal needs a fair bit of work by foot anyway. Would i be correct in saying that.

I wonder whether the names Powell, Lazzaro or Ford featured in last year’s National Draft thread. I know Comben didn’t get a mention the year before. If not, I fear the only use this thread serves is to identify the players who definitely WON’T be coming to North. 🤣 JHF notwithstanding, of course.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder whether the names Powell, Lazzaro or Ford featured in last year’s National Draft thread. I know Comben didn’t get a mention the year before. If not, I fear the only use this thread serves is to identify the players who definitely WON’T be coming to North. 🤣 JHF notwithstanding, of course.

Very confident Souup was huge on Powell and someone else cant remember who really wanted Ford.

Powell, Ford and Spicers names were brought up in our drafts thread.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers

Comben was spoken about on this board as well. We were linked to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back