Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Another to keep an eye on from that game is Brady Hough. Gaining the attention of a few of the lads on the draft boards. Played very well in that same game. Outside, high HFF type with very nice skills and good athleticism and height. Could be a bolter. 2nd round option for us also.

View attachment 1238551
Keep em coming chop… I liked Amiss in that game but went missing in the end and missed quite a few getable shots on goal but he does create opportunities . I think being not quite a power forward size will push him out of top 5 but he’ll be gone once the WA teams have a selection.

I liked Ward, but looks tad similar to what we already have. I will prefer Goater, Erasmus if Callaghan is gone before our first.

Apparently his strengths are clean disposal by foot, ability to run defensively and accumulation. Played junior footy on a wing and models his game on Sam Walsh. I think he offers enough variation. Have seen Zach Merrett and Marc Murphy comparisons. Plus he's a huge Hawks fan.

I'd be just as happy with those other three you mentioned though.

Apparently his strengths are clean disposal by foot, ability to run defensively and accumulation. Played junior footy on a wing and models his game on Sam Walsh. I think he offers enough variation. Have seen Zach Merrett and Marc Murphy comparisons. Plus he's a huge Hawks fan.

I'd be just as happy with those other three you mentioned though.

Clean disposal would be good addition to current mix. I hope we can manage to get another top 10 pick, that's would open up lot of combinations

I liked Ward, but looks tad similar to what we already have. I will prefer Goater, Erasmus if Callaghan is gone before our first.
Are Goater and Erasmus more forward/mids and not quite as good by foot. They sound good if we can get another top 10-12 pick but think we need a pure mid with class and ability to break away eg. Ward first.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Too high, has many elite traits but his deficiencies will hold him back going top ten. 11-13 is where I expect it's also why so many elite talents end up falling to this pick, clubs seem to get "top ten pick" stuck in their head and refuse to take gambles so players with elite traits but small gaps in certain areas end up falling through to that range.

Yeah, concur. I think if we had a second first, I’d take NWM, but not sure with our first. At senior SANFL level, plays outside, and seemingly always on the fat side. Different to how he played in the SA vs WA game. Seems to avoid the inside game. Has huge potential, but it’s a risk for top 10. Very exciting tho.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon this draft would be perfect to have 5 top 16 picks, no idea how we swindle that but it would be amazing
That is very ambitious. It depends who you listen to, if going by Fox Footy- 16-9-21 report, after top 10, picks 11-50 are even, whether you have pick 41 or 11 not huge difference. We are still in fortunate position to have 2 picks in 20s.

With the Vic boys unable to show their wares late season I hope we keep at least 2 list spots available for the supplementary/ midseason draft. We struck gold this year.

Personally anyone but Gibcus for our first pick. We have greater need for classy mids. Also next draft is going to be better for talls.

Outside of Callaghan, I keep coming back to Josh Rachele as the player I really want us to nab with pick 5 (7).
So much of the wraps on him pertain to his class as an agile, natural small forward - and I feel as wary as anyone about using such an early pick on a small forward, but ...

From Twomey ...

Rachele is a player who captures attention: the exciting small forward can ignite games with his goalkicking (he booted six in a game for the Murray Bushrangers earlier this season) and he enjoys having the ball in his hands and backing himself. He is good overhead for a player his size and also can go into the midfield, where he showed his impact for Vic Country with 20 disposals and a goal against Vic Metro in their under-19s clash at Windy Hill.

The bolded bit captures the attention. "Can go into the midfield" is under-selling it. When playing as a midfielder in the 2019 Under 16 champs, he was an absolute star. In fact, the star.

Draft Central write-up ...

Class with a capital ‘C’, the Country co-captain took out the Kevin Sheehan Medal (Division 1 MVP) and his side’s own MVP award with three sensational performances throughout the carnival. His talent can be summed up with one play in Country’s last game against SA, where he instinctively tapped the ball on over his shoulder to Ben Hobbs at full flight who finished the play off with a goal. Does some freakish things and constantly looks a threat around the ball with his agility and ability to break away from congestion, using both to good effect at forward stoppages. Has obvious leadership quality too and really lifted in trying to drag Country over the line in their loss to WA, having 32 disposals, six marks, four breaches of each arc and 0.3. A star in the making.

I think he can be a bit like Chad - a livewire wherever he is on the field - on the ball, across half-forward or deep around goals. The fact that he has shown production in the midfield as a junior puts him in a different category to the usual small-forward draft hopefuls.

Outside of Callaghan, I keep coming back to Josh Rachele as the player I really want us to nab with pick 5 (7).
So much of the wraps on him pertain to his class as an agile, natural small forward - and I feel as wary as anyone about using such an early pick on a small forward, but ...

From Twomey ...

Rachele is a player who captures attention: the exciting small forward can ignite games with his goalkicking (he booted six in a game for the Murray Bushrangers earlier this season) and he enjoys having the ball in his hands and backing himself. He is good overhead for a player his size and also can go into the midfield, where he showed his impact for Vic Country with 20 disposals and a goal against Vic Metro in their under-19s clash at Windy Hill.

The bolded bit captures the attention. "Can go into the midfield" is under-selling it. When playing as a midfielder in the 2019 Under 16 champs, he was an absolute star. In fact, the star.

Class with a capital ‘C’, the Country co-captain took out the Kevin Sheehan Medal (Division 1 MVP) and his side’s own MVP award with three sensational performances throughout the carnival. His talent can be summed up with one play in Country’s last game against SA, where he instinctively tapped the ball on over his shoulder to Ben Hobbs at full flight who finished the play off with a goal. Does some freakish things and constantly looks a threat around the ball with his agility and ability to break away from congestion, using both to good effect at forward stoppages. Has obvious leadership quality too and really lifted in trying to drag Country over the line in their loss to WA, having 32 disposals, six marks, four breaches of each arc and 0.3. A star in the making.

I think he can be a bit like Chad - a livewire wherever he is on the field - on the ball, across half-forward or deep around goals. The fact that he has shown production in the midfield as a junior puts him in a different category to the usual small-forward draft hopefuls.

My pick by quite some way. Recon he will be a Bruce “special” type player

From Twomey ...

Reminds me of another high impact former Bushranger in Steele Sidebottom

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reminds me of a young Hugh greenwood

Last edited:

From Twomey ...

On the descriptions he’s one I am very keen on. Sounds like a Robbie Gray type. Someone who can damage up forward and in the middle. Just about the most valuable type of player in the game and what we lack most of all.

Reminds me of a young Hugh greenwood

To me, JHF feels like a throw-back to some players from the 80s. The body shape and the way he moves (the sinewy power, recovery ...) reminds me of G Ablett Snr (an odious comparison, I know :flushed:). In fact, he reminds me of a few Geelong players. Anyone remember Micheal Turner, or Gavin Exell.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, JHF feels like a throw-back to some players from the 80s. The body shape and the way he moves (the sinewy power, recovery ...) reminds me of G Ablett Snr (an odious comparison, I know :flushed:). In fact, he reminds me of a few Geelong players. Anyone remember Micheal Turner, or Gavin Exell

Just 20 seconds of each clip was enough for me ...

Your aren’t the first to make the comparison with Ablett. Does seem to have a similar way of moving and hidden power. 👍

From Twomey ...

I hope we use our 1st on him but i dont know if we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back