Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
If our first rounder came to being between Gibcus or Andrew, who would people take?

Outside of Callaghan, I keep coming back to Josh Rachele as the player I really want us to nab with pick 5 (7).
So much of the wraps on him pertain to his class as an agile, natural small forward - and I feel as wary as anyone about using such an early pick on a small forward, but ...

From Twomey ...

Rachele is a player who captures attention: the exciting small forward can ignite games with his goalkicking (he booted six in a game for the Murray Bushrangers earlier this season) and he enjoys having the ball in his hands and backing himself. He is good overhead for a player his size and also can go into the midfield, where he showed his impact for Vic Country with 20 disposals and a goal against Vic Metro in their under-19s clash at Windy Hill.

The bolded bit captures the attention. "Can go into the midfield" is under-selling it. When playing as a midfielder in the 2019 Under 16 champs, he was an absolute star. In fact, the star.

Draft Central write-up ...

Class with a capital ‘C’, the Country co-captain took out the Kevin Sheehan Medal (Division 1 MVP) and his side’s own MVP award with three sensational performances throughout the carnival. His talent can be summed up with one play in Country’s last game against SA, where he instinctively tapped the ball on over his shoulder to Ben Hobbs at full flight who finished the play off with a goal. Does some freakish things and constantly looks a threat around the ball with his agility and ability to break away from congestion, using both to good effect at forward stoppages. Has obvious leadership quality too and really lifted in trying to drag Country over the line in their loss to WA, having 32 disposals, six marks, four breaches of each arc and 0.3. A star in the making.

I think he can be a bit like Chad - a livewire wherever he is on the field - on the ball, across half-forward or deep around goals. The fact that he has shown production in the midfield as a junior puts him in a different category to the usual small-forward draft hopefuls.

Rachele may be a little bit on the small side, but there is something to be said about a player that can come into the side in a certain role before graduating into a more imprtant one. Rachele gives us the option of picking a kid who could have impact up forward immediately, before coming a rotational or even key part of the midfield.

Rachele may be a little bit on the small side, but there is something to be said about a player that can come into the side in a certain role before graduating into a more imprtant one. Rachele gives us the option of picking a kid who could have impact up forward immediately, before coming a rotational or even key part of the midfield.

the reverse Toby Greene

If our first rounder came to being between Gibcus or Andrew, who would people take?

Based just on write ups, highlights and trial games, probably Andrew. Draft watchers and recruiter/media who have seen more full NAB league seem to favour Gibcus.

I just can't go past Andrew's ability to mark from a disadvantaged position and his ground ball game.

Last edited:
Do you have footage of Gibcus. Do we think DGB is a 3rd tall or full back? Is Gibcus similar to DGB intercept marker. I think we need S May type FB.

Andrew is athletic. Both need at least few years development and putting on weight. As others have said Andrew is athletic, his ground level work etc from his footage is great, special athlete. Rachele looks less risky but I guess when you are building can afford to go tall, have time on your side.

Do you have footage of Gibcus. Do we think DGB is a 3rd tall or full back? Is Gibcus similar to DGB intercept marker. I think we need S May type FB.

Andrew is athletic. Both need at least few years development and putting on weight. As others have said Andrew is athletic, his ground level work etc from his footage is great, special athlete. Rachele looks less risky but I guess when you are building can afford to go tall, have time on your side.
I love watching Rozee, Picket, Weightman and pine for a player of their like. We have to bring one in and soon.

I love watching Rozee, Picket, Weightman and pine for a player of their like. We have to bring one in and soon.

Jesse Motlop in the second round has shown some good signs and intensity. Stood up well in his WAFL games. Could form a good long term partnership with Brockman.

I think any of the below three are the ideal picks for us in the first round. We will have access to at least one of them come our pick.

- Erasmus: tall midfielder/forward with athleticism and is a classy mover. Very good in the air and will probably end up a nightmare matchup for opposing midfielders if he takes them forward. I think he could also have an impact defensively as his intercept marking is a strength, which is a unique strength for midfield/forwards.

- Ward: one of the best kicks in the draft, two way running midfielder with a huge tank, hard worker. Would add class to the midfield and is probably the best match with the players we currently have.

- Rachele: another of the best kicks in the draft, class around goals. It seems like he will develop into a player that can play multiple roles, be it forward pocket, on the HFF or playing through the middle. He's similar to Serong in that regard when coming through the TAC, but he's a better kick than Serong (who has made the seamless transition into becoming an AFL gun midfielder).

I'm really excited to see what we do on draft day. I hope we can wrangle another first, even if it's in the teens.

I also wonder who we would target with our later picks, and how much that would change depending on who we get with our first rounder.

I think any of the below three are the ideal picks for us in the first round. We will have access to at least one of them come our pick.

- Erasmus: tall midfielder/forward with athleticism and is a classy mover. Very good in the air and will probably end up a nightmare matchup for opposing midfielders if he takes them forward. I think he could also have an impact defensively as his intercept marking is a strength, which is a unique strength for midfield/forwards.

- Ward: one of the best kicks in the draft, two way running midfielder with a huge tank, hard worker. Would add class to the midfield and is probably the best match with the players we currently have.

- Rachele: another of the best kicks in the draft, class around goals. It seems like he will develop into a player that can play multiple roles, be it forward pocket, on the HFF or playing through the middle. He's similar to Serong in that regard when coming through the TAC, but he's a better kick than Serong (who has made the seamless transition into becoming an AFL gun midfielder).

I'm really excited to see what we do on draft day. I hope we can wrangle another first, even if it's in the teens.

I also wonder who we would target with our later picks, and how much that would change depending on who we get with our first rounder.
I didn't realise- Erasmus is now 192cm, last report I saw was that he was 188.
As it stands I'm incredibly torn between Erasmus and Ward with our first- would absolutely love another top 10 to nab them both somehow.

Funnily enough Sonsie was also considered to be a very classy two-way mover prior to this year, would be interesting to see if he slips to a late teen pick.

This is my top 3 - Can't spilt Erusmus or Rochelle, Ward is my 3rd choice. Would still be pumped if we took Andrew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are going to be players available at 5 that will fill a need. Erasmus, Rachele, Ward, Andrew will all potentially be available (assuming GC go Gibcus & Adelaide go local) and all possess something we need. Even Hobbs has suitable traits although I believe there are better options.

Quite honestly looking at that pool another pick in that range would be very handy. Not going to speculate how we'd go about doing that, I just really like the options available. Walking away with two of those players would be a great outcome.

This is a very important point - Rachele can claim a spot forward and increase his midfield time bit by bit.
For this reason, I have cooled on Sinn (although I think he is bankable as a very good AFL player). Sinn looks like he will need to start off half back and then may migrate into the midfield. Not keen on us adding yet another back-flanker if there are other good options available.

I think one of this group will slide to 21 as well
Fox Footy were saying after pick 10 till pick 50, it is anyone's guess, much the same. Not sure if that is right. Which players do you think we can get with Picks 21 & 24 that could potentially be as good as that picked up with pick 7? Van rooyen, Zac Taylor, Conway, Williams, Motlop, Johnson. When you talk about this group, do you mean top 10? I doubt any of Rachele, Ward, Andrew, Erasmus will be around till our 21&24 picks. With such little exposed form of Vic kids, there will be bound to be players picked later that turn out better than earlier picks, this happened pre covid like Z Merrett, let alone post covid days.

Jesse Motlop in the second round has shown some good signs and intensity. Stood up well in his WAFL games. Could form a good long term partnership with Brockman.
Yeah, I like him.

What if this happens?
  1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. GWS Giants (from Collingwood) - Gibcus
  3. Gold Coast - Andrew
  4. Adelaide - Hobbs
  5. Hawthorn - Callaghan

How many more opps do players have to change recruiters minds from this point forward? I'm assuming not any in Victoria, but are there any state games or local footy games in other states going on?

Seconds footy, but geez he can move.

Ronaldo!!!

superb attributes.
I love the way he plays.
Limited seasons should mean we recruit more for talent than form imo.

If we can somehow get him and Rochelle Rochelle after our first pick, they will bring a lot of what is missing from our team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back