Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Erasmus, Sinn or Andrew for me (outside the first 4).

Ward, Hobbs, sonsie, Rachele don’t excite me at all.

Hope we find a way to get another first as would love us to add a Draper/Chesser/NWM as well to really add some more speed and class (in addition to knevitt and JVR with our 2nds).

Think Sinn suits our outside needs more than NVM, already got Day who plays very similarly, plus Sinn has more pace and penetration. Would need richmond or dogs pick tho.

Imagine Day and Sinn on either wing Round 1 next year.

Erasmus, Sinn or Andrew for me (outside the first 4).

Ward, Hobbs, sonsie, Rachele don’t excite me at all.

Hope we find a way to get another first as would love us to add a Draper/Chesser/NWM as well to really add some more speed and class (in addition to knevitt and JVR with our 2nds).
I am thinking the same..
I’ll go with Callaghan, Andrew, Erasmus, Sinn, Ward, Rachele….

Whilst Callaghan is most likely going to be chosen my next favorite has been Erasmus. But I'm really warming to the idea of Ward and to a slightly lesser extent Rachele. They all fill a need so I won't be upset with any of them.
Erasmus's kicking has me a tad worried that he might end up another low possession, low-impact player who doesn't do enough with the footy. His upside as a forward/mid is exciting, but I can't help but see him butchering kicks going inside 50 which isn't exactly a point of strength for our side right now. He does seem a bit immature and might be prone to homesickness, but I wouldn't buy into that as much since we have shown we have a strong culture that hopefully Sam can maintain. I still think Ward is just the perfect fit after Callaghan, I'd be disappointed if he was there and we passed on him.

Erasmus's kicking has me a tad worried that he might end up another low possession, low-impact player who doesn't do enough with the footy. His upside as a forward/mid is exciting, but I can't help but see him butchering kicks going inside 50 which isn't exactly a point of strength for our side right now. He does seem a bit immature and might be prone to homesickness, but I wouldn't buy into that as much since we have shown we have a strong culture that hopefully Sam can maintain. I still think Ward is just the perfect fit after Callaghan, I'd be disappointed if he was there and we passed on him.

What makes you believe Erasmus may be a bit immature - and please don't say that Instagram video posted a few pages back.

Homesickness is always a worry, but it didn't stop us drafting DGB last season. If the club believe that Erasmus is the best talent available at our pick (like with DGB last year) then we will take him, and just have to back ourselves in to convince him to stay long-term.

I agree re: Callaghan and Ward fitting perfectly. IMO Erasmus has that potential elite upside though. He was getting plenty of touches this season prior to his injury, so it seems he made the transition into the midfield seamlessly so far.

Last edited:

What a star. I wonder how many weeks he was playing coy for, but try as he might he he was never not going to go to North. I'm going to be very jealous watching their midfield develop.

In terms of talent, how does Horne compare to previous #1 picks like Rowell and Walsh? He seems more explosive and versatile than those two.

What a star. I wonder how many weeks he was playing coy for, but try as he might he he was never not going to go to North. I'm going to be very jealous watching their midfield develop.

In terms of talent, how does Horne compare to previous #1 picks like Rowell and Walsh? He seems more explosive and versatile than those two.
This guy sounds generational mate. He's bossing men at 18 already.

“At Pick 1, North Melbourne select…. Josh Gibcus, Greater Western Victoria Rebels”

We really shouldn't be picking NWM with our first. If we really rate him highly we trade up with our seconds and grab him around pick 13-20. He is a very similar player to Will Day but isn't as penetrating a kick and has very little contested side, shying away from contests and being an astronaut on the outside sometimes.
48% of NWM’s possessions in the SANFL seniors this season were contested. Do agree that selecting him at Pick 5 would be a stretch though. Would love 2 classy midfield types from this draft (Callaghan, Ward, Sinn, Erasmus, NWM, Rachele) so maybe trading our 2 2nd rounders for a mid 1st rounder could be an option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erasmus's kicking is being overhated. I don't see him being that bad even straight up and his ceiling with his kicking is pretty high.

I've said this before, but Horne-Francis will either be the next Ablett, Robbie Gray or Shane Breuer.
You just never know how someone will take to senior football and the grueling program.
I get what you're saying but barring a serious injury, all signs point to him being freaking awesome.

I've said this before, but Horne-Francis will either be the next Ablett, Robbie Gray or Shane Breuer.
You just never know how someone will take to senior football and the grueling program.
It’s just silly the hysteria about JHF. He’s not the complete package and still needs a lot of development in a lot of areas to get close to where fan boys have put him. He’s got elite attributes but he’s got a lot of work to do and a lot of areas to work on before he’s the second coming of Gary Ablett. North fans gushing all year has been next level madness. Like a school kids forum over there. Just get a grip would be my advice.

It’s just silly the hysteria about JHF. He’s not the complete package and still needs a lot of development in a lot of areas to get close to where fan boys have put him. He’s got elite attributes but he’s got a lot of work to do and a lot of areas to work on before he’s the second coming of Gary Ablett. North fans gushing all year has been next level madness. Like a school kids forum over there. Just get a grip would be my advice.
Can you imagine the comparisons in here if we had the first pick??
3.3 and 24 touches last night in a SANFL prelim in his draft year is very impressive. I’ld be getting excited if we were in the position of having someone performing at that level available to us at our pick.

Wish we had a higher 1st round pick….but then I think of those valuable wins we had late in the season (can’t remember them now but at the time I was stoked)
Don’t poke the bear HFC ...😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back