Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
So excluding F/S (1) and (2) and HF who is off to North (3), the Giants (4), Gold Coast (5) and Crows (6) all have a pick ahead of us (7).

Going through some of the Phantom Drafts, they predict:

Finn Callaghan (4) (4) (4) (4) (5) (6)

Mac Andrew (4) (8) (8) (10) (10) (11)

Ben Hobbs (5) (5) (6) (9) (9) (18)

Josh Gibcus (4) (5) (7) (7) (11) (20)

Josh Ward (5) (6) (6) (6) (7) (7)

Josh Rachelle (7) (9) (9) (9) (11) (15)

Neil Erasmus (5) (6) (8) (10) (10) (11)

It would seem that only Finn Callaghan will definitely be drafted before our pick, meaning there are only two other live picks, likely from those above. Even if available I doubt we would be interested in young ruck Mac Andrew and Josh Gibcus seems to be a bit similar to Denver GB, so doubt we would use the pick on him. That leaves two to four of Hobbs, Ward, Rachelle or Erasmus. Not sure if those closer to this have other names you think will be added to those four with our fist pick, if available?

I saw a video of a kid who moved like Cyril earlier in this thread, anyone know who I'm talking about? He looked a class above, hoping we can add him to our promising group of young players.
Fejo Jr

I've been split between Ward, Erasmus and Rachelle for a while now but after rewatching the academy and metro v country game, I'm starting to really favour Ward. As much as I would love us to take a swing at an Erasmus and hope he turns into a superstar, Ward's floor seems too high to pass up on. There was a post that said Ward was just another Phillips which most seemed to disagree with because of how much better Ward is in most areas. So at the very least you'd expect to get a more efficient Philips. But if Ward ends up being a stud, you're getting a star midfielder who can run all day and break midfields open with his insane vision. He's the sort of player that wins game, not with the big time line breaks and goals but with constant pressure and efficiency. I think if he hits his peak potential he could be a slightly lesser version of Walsh although I doubt he gets to that level. Idk if any of this was plausible but just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.

The goat? 🤪
I re-watched the goat 🐐 a bit yesterday. He does some eye watering stuff at the stoppages. Real game breaking stuff and then just butchers the s"#$t out of it..imo it looks coachable because he can hit a target quite well when he takes a mark. He does this weirdly aggressive ball drop when he is trying to run! Crazy

I’ve been talked into going with Sinn with pick 5. Elite kick, elite line breaker good size and great leadership qualities. Doesn’t mind doing the hard yards on the inside either

Injuries have killed him this year so hopefully he is over them and ready to go. If not Sinn Erusmus. Love the fact that he is very competent up forward

I’ve been talked into going with Sinn with pick 5. Elite kick, elite line breaker good size and great leadership qualities. Doesn’t mind doing the hard yards on the inside either

Injuries have killed him this year so hopefully he is over them and ready to go. If not Sinn Erusmus. Love the fact that he is very competent up forward
I've been keen on Sinn the whole time.

But we need a serious midfielder.

I'd love to have a pick in the teens to take Sinn also.

I've been keen on Sinn the whole time.

But we need a serious midfielder.

I'd love to have a pick in the teens to take Sinn also.
Just read another article about Greg Clark from Subiaco - insane Grand Final.

Surely, that's what Pick 59 & 62 are for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the Sinn love and I have only watched him once in that challenge game, but at 5 it's a no way for me.

He bit off some amazing kicks and took them on a few times, and in those parts, he looked like a jet. But watching his other work, you have to be a bit sceptical of his scope. He lacked physicality and I don't mean because he was skinny. I watched DGB last year play on Shem T (our previous rookie) who is like 110kg and DGB threw himself around with complete disregard for his own body. From what I could see of Sinn, he prefers the easier stuff. Get the ball on the outside and use it. The reason I bring this up is that I just don't see him as a mid at AFL level. Unlike Will Day or even Darcy Wilmot, he doesn't have that competitive thirst at the contest. The other thing I hated was that one or two times, a player offered a great overlap run which would have broken the game right open and he just burnt them, didn't give the handball and instead wheeled towards his left side so he could be the one kicking it. Just looked like he was playing for himself.

I must caveat, this is what I saw from ONLY one game. But it is what I noticed.

Ward- I am convinced he is not the next Tom Phillips. Lol. Some of his work by hand at the stoppage is savant level good (e.g. handballs over his head to players running at full flight). ...

I was cold on Ward until I watched the full Metro/Country game.
He's not the sexiest pick but he's a class stoppage player, and he just keeps getting it and typically using it to advantage.
Can definitely see the Zach Merrett comparisons.

I've cut up his key moments from the match and will do the same for a few others during the week.

Just read another article about Greg Clark from Subiaco - insane Grand Final.

Surely, that's what Pick 59 & 62 are for?

Is he a tall mid? I thought i saw an article about him a week or two ago... I forgot to ask in here what WAFL watchers thought of him.

He's not the sexiest pick but he's a class stoppage player, and he just keeps getting it and typically using it to advantage.

I've cut up his key moments from the match and will do the same for a few others during the week.

@35 seconds was the one where I was like "yeh nah..... Tom Phillips can't do that lol"

Great vid again mate. Love your work

Daicos full SQUIB mode at 1:12. Yuck

Ward is a safe bet with our pick 5 and I am happy if we select him. Plays in a similar mould to Z Merrett, A McGrath and J Macrae. Quality players that play at a high level consistently but won’t dominate a game with individual brilliance.

I’ve always wanted Erasmus, and still do.

However, I wouldn’t be upset with NWM. Probably not a popular choice at 5, but I reckon he could be unreal once he fills out.

I’ve seen play for the bays, and he’s always on the fat side, extremely outside at the moment. But you can tell he has ‘it’. Just glides across the ground, thinks quick and one step ahead. His kicking and class stand out.

High risk at 5, sure, but if we wanted a high potential selection, he could be it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back