Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Bigfooty Phantom Draft is happening atm

so far i got
pick 7 Ben Hobbs - inside mid (i favoured him ahead of Ward, Erasmus was taken before but atm he is my 3rd option, i think if we have the chance to take Hobbs we should, but Ward is a good 2nd option and if both are taken we still have Erasmus, its a good position to be in i think)
pick 23 Rhett Bazzo - KPD (he was too good not to take at this point, there were a few decent mids left, but none that were top tier so took a quality KPP)

what are your thoughts?

Wowee… GWS get Gibcus at 4 and Andrew at 15. They'd be over the freaking moon with that haul.

Bigfooty Phantom Draft is happening atm

Looking at the Bigfooty Phantom Draft, our lower picks has risen to picks 52 and 59 after the match bids on Darcy, Daicos and Fahey.

Hopefully we can still get something good or promising on those picks.

Interestingly enough Hodge tested top 10 in sprinting back in the 01 draft "camp". Late career Hodge didn't have it, but early career Hodge was good over those first few steps.

Hodge was quick in his early years. There are highlights of him bursting out of packs and leaving players in his wake during his stellar 05 season. Though I think the OP issues the he struggled with very early on eventually caught up with him.

Looking at the Bigfooty Phantom Draft, our lower picks has risen to picks 52 and 59 after the match bids on Darcy, Daicos and Fahey.

Hopefully we can still get something good or promising on those picks.
Not sure if phantom drafts have clubs passing on selections but that's another reason our picks may improve.

I think he is a bit like Hobbs, but doesn't have the polish or explosiveness of a Hobbs.
:think:, define polish
Explosiveness though? Macdonald is far more athletic with his acceleration and leap than Hobbs

I reckon I've landed on my preferred draft.

Pick 5 - Josh Ward -

Pick 21 - Leek Alleer

Pick 24 - Connor MacDonald

Josh Ward - the thing I like about Ward is his hurt factor out of the stoppage. He has elite game sense at stoppages and makes damaging decisions and executes really well. Very smart player and is a throwback to when we had the most game intelligent centre square mids in the game (Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge). I think this is one of our biggest weaknesses with (titch, o'meara, worpel)... they are all tough but not very creative by hand or foot. Ward could make our midfield far more balanced and could help bring the HBF runners into the game with his ability to find overlap runners by hand. His two-way running is also very attractive, especially on the MCG. The fact he is a diehard hawk fan is the cream for me.

Leek Alleer - I know I will get bashed for this choice, but I don't care. Players who can legit catch it at 195cm who jump 107cm running vert, don't grow on trees. They don't grow at all. That is generational athleticism. He is super raw by all reports with his skill development, but that is what an AFL environment is for, to help you get those skills up to an acceptable level. I think a few are sleeping on the fact that the modern game requires high-end athleticism and is built around zones and team defense. If you play a zone, this is the guy you want a kick behind the play. If there is enough pressure high up the ground, noone could stop him from impacting in the air. I don't just rate the intercept marking, but also the ability to get a fist in. His coaches also rated his growing lockdown ability (which he wasn't asked to do much of). For obvious reasons, I think he could easily pinch hit in the ruck like TOB used to and be quite effective. This is my shoot for the stars selection, because this kid could be a genuine star or never step foot on an AFL field.

Connor MacDonald - think draft watchers (Davo-27 aside) are generally sleeping on this kid. It wouldn't surprise me if some clubs rated him as the 5th or so best pure mid in the draft. He showed staggering improvement in NAB league statistically. From three games as a bottom ager, he averaged

7 disp, 1.3 tackles, 0.3 goals per game

In 2021, from four games he averaged,

29.8 disp (approx 2:1 kick to handball), 4.8 Tackles, 0.8 goals per game.

That stat line is mouthwatering enough as it is, but consider a strava run 6.08 2km time trial - ELITE!
He is a first possession winning mid and has a really strong contested and tackling game. I think he is a bit like Hobbs, but doesn't have the polish or explosiveness of a Hobbs. But to replenish our midfield over the next 4-5 years (post shiels, JOM and TOM), MacDonald would add some serious grunt and two-way running. A little bit of Luke Parker about the way he plays imo
rate Alleer too. Think he'll be gone by 21 though....

still very very keen on Callaghan

I’m not sure how I would take us picking a Key Defender in our first three picks this year, when we are screaming out for a re-balance of our midfield and this a midfielders draft.

5, 21 & 24 should all be mids of some description, or at least a forward who can rotate through the middle.

I’m not sure how I would take us picking a Key Defender in our first three picks this year, when we are screaming out for a re-balance of our midfield and this a midfielders draft.

5, 21 & 24 should all be mids of some description, or at least a forward who can rotate through the middle.
Best available, especially at picks under 50

There will be midfielders in next years draft.

Best available, especially at picks under 50

There will be midfielders in next years draft.
I don’t think any of the key backs will be best available at our first 3 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a ball doing a Bigfooty phantom draft for us last year. Hopefully get another chance for this season.

*Spoiler* I'd be taking Ward over Hobbs.

Going to be a long wait for the real draft night!

Anyone know what range Fejo Jr is tipped to be drafted at? His movement and ball use are just sublime. I have no idea what the contested side of his game is like but his highlights package is as good as anyone. Reminds me of Harley Bennell in his prime.

:think:, define polish
Explosiveness though? Macdonald is far more athletic with his acceleration and leap than Hobbs
Hey Bangers,

Now I caveat, like I always do, I form my opinions from a small sample of vision so they should be taken with a rather large grain of salt.
From my observations of the Vic Metro/Vic country game, I saw Hobbs as more explosive at the stoppages (fast-twitch) type stuff and very powerful moving in a phone box. I also thought he was more polished ball in hand than MacDonald (who butchered it a bit) and was more clean with his work in and around the stoppages.... hence polished and explosive.

In open space, MacDonald a great athlete and covered the ground. Not as dynamic as Hobbs in his clearance work but still very effective. I sort of see MacDonald as a version of what we hoped Finn Magginness would become.

Interested to hear your thoughts on MacDonald? What are the knocks? Production over potential?

rate Alleer too. Think he'll be gone by 21 though....

still very very keen on Callaghan
Just listened to Twomey's podcast. Caller asked about Alleer at 16, he said that might be a bit early. To the Roos @ 20 also, Twomey saw that as more his range. He should be right in and around that pick 20-35 bracket. Just takes one team to fall in love

Callaghan :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::brokenheart::brokenheart::brokenheart:

Hey Bangers,

Now I caveat, like I always do, I form my opinions from a small sample of vision so they should be taken with a rather large grain of salt.
From my observations of the Vic Metro/Vic country game, I saw Hobbs as more explosive at the stoppages (fast-twitch) type stuff and very powerful moving in a phone box. I also thought he was more polished ball in hand than MacDonald (who butchered it a bit) and was more clean with his work in and around the stoppages.... hence polished and explosive.

In open space, MacDonald a great athlete and covered the ground. Not as dynamic as Hobbs in his clearance work but still very effective. I sort of see MacDonald as a version of what we hoped Finn Magginness would become.

Interested to hear your thoughts on MacDonald? What are the knocks? Production over potential?
Oh no not having a go, curious about the comparison. I think Macdonald is a classier and more athletic Hobbs, certainly less developed as well, but he's not in the same category of contested ball winning. Macdonald is capable for sure, but Hobbs is elite (its the reason I have him above Ward, above average at a few things v genuinely elite at a niche).

In terms of knocks, I think Macdonalds kicking is pretty poor at times, floats a lot of kicks or hospital passes them.

Oh no not having a go, curious about the comparison. I think Macdonald is a classier and more athletic Hobbs, certainly less developed as well, but he's not in the same category of contested ball winning. Macdonald is capable for sure, but Hobbs is elite (its the reason I have him above Ward, above average at a few things v genuinely elite at a niche).

In terms of knocks, I think Macdonalds kicking is pretty poor at times, floats a lot of kicks or hospital passes them.
All good. I didn't think you were

I think it's an interesting comparison for a team like us who could realistically get access to both.

Bangers is on the clock for the Hawks, you taking Ward or Hobbs? Or have you already done a pick swap with GWS for Callaghan? ;)

All good. I didn't think you were

I think it's an interesting comparison for a team like us who could realistically get access to both.

Bangers is on the clock for the Hawks, you taking Ward or Hobbs? Or have you already done a pick swap with GWS for Callaghan? ;)
I'd definitley look to trade up if I could avoid using s future first (which is unlikely), despite how good Callaghan is, giving away 5 and possibly another top 5 pick when theres players like Wardlaw, Tsatas, Lemmey, Hollands, Ryan, Clark, etc. next year isn't worth it imo.

I'd go Hobbs tho, I know theres concerns about him being too similar to others in your midfield group but I think he will be better than Worpel/ Newcombe in the long run

Jack Williams aka Mitchell Lewis.

I'd go Hobbs tho, I know theres concerns about him being too similar to others in your midfield group but I think he will be better than Worpel/ Newcombe in the long run
Yes, Hobbs being too similar to what we already have is one of the oddest comments that pops up in here from time to time, and it ignores the fact that we’re not in the process of adding finishing touches, we are building a new midfield to take us forward for the next 10 years.

I’d be happy with Hobbs, but I won’t be surprised if we take Erasmus or Ward though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back