Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Wouldn’t want either of them at Pick 21 or 24, and there’s more chance of luring Elvis out of the grave than there is of having JHF cross to the Hawks from North.
Might have been a bit cheeky with the JHF comment there, but what are the reasons for disliking Roberts and Draper? Roberts has his critics and his athleticism is a worry for a modern AFL midfielder but his positioning, muscle work, and skills when in space stand above pretty much everyone that would be selected after pick 15. Arlo is an exciting half-forward with a good pair of hands and smooth movement through packs and into space. His kicking is crafty and smooth, he reminds me of a sort of Will Day but with a skillset more in line with a half-forward in that he is a skilled but skinny player. Where Day has better run and long-distance kicking, Draper is a better contested ball winner and does those nice little bullet kicks that pin-point a target. he gets his fair share of knocks, but he puts his body on the line and has plenty of room to grow into his body and fill out some muscle. The highlight package is honestly dreadful, I have no clue why they didn't include more of his game against North Adelaide where he pushed up the ground and distributed the ball well into the forward line or his games in the reserves the weeks after returning from injury. He keeps his head, is poised, and adapts to game styles and systems seamlessly. There are obviously big questions about his build and his ball-winning ability, but at 21 he is a massive steal that we should not hesitate to grab.

I must admit, I was a little deflated at season's end that our first pick was going to be 5.
But that's all diccipated with all the information I'm reading here, so thanks everyone.
Yes we miss out on JHF and most likely Callaghan, but to have an opportunity to pick up Erasmus, Ward, Hobbs or Rachelle, or a smokey like M.Johnson or Wanganeen-Milera, changes everything.
I did enjoy our end of season wins, and knew the balance out would be a lower first pick, but now I'm genuinely excited and can't wait for draft night.

As Hawks fans, we've done (and will do) alright out of this... again.

I’ll counter the “Erasmus moves like Howe” observation with “he reminds me of Simon Black, with a superior overhead game”. 😌

I’ll counter the “Erasmus moves like Howe” observation with “he reminds me of Simon Black, with a superior overhead game”. 😌
Definitely a bit of both, but the Howe comparisons shouldn't be a negative - Erasmus is much more athletic, versatile and talented.
He is incredibly impressive and still basically an underage player.

It's going to be Callaghan, Ward or Erasmus - I would be happy with any of those.
Ward is the most likely - and I'm really starting to like this choice.
He sees the game so well, makes extremely quick and effective decisions, runs hard, distributes well by foot.
We're not going to regret selecting Ward.

Solely off the highlights, Erasmus is probably the least likely for us at pick 5, even though he may have the highest upside given he is up to 12 months younger than his draft cohort. Very good prospect.

I do wish we had a second top 10 pick so we could take 2/3 of Callaghan, Ward and Erasmus.

The Road To The Draft yesterday is a good listen featuring an interview with Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera. I watched the WA vs SA NAB games and was extremely impressed with his disposal and decision making. NWM certainly has the potential to be an elite outside midfielder however on occasions I thought he may have been reluctant to compete for contested balls. Given he had played senior footy he should not have lacked confidence playing in NAB games. I'm interested to know if anyone else picked up on a possible weakness and shares my concerns?

Another article provides a bit of a reality check on the 2020 draftees although the rankings are a nonsense since some players are ranked based on a single game and/or they played as an unused sub. The class of 2020 were severely compromised due to COVID which meant they lost a year of development.

Tyler Brockman, Denver G-B and Connor Downie are rated 10, 24 and 33 respectively. They along with Emerson Jeka, Seamus Mitchell and Jack Saunders all showed promising signs and due to another compromised season we need to be patient. I'm excited because the class of 2021 is shaping up to be a lot stronger.

Might have been a bit cheeky with the JHF comment there, but what are the reasons for disliking Roberts and Draper? Roberts has his critics and his athleticism is a worry for a modern AFL midfielder but his positioning, muscle work, and skills when in space stand above pretty much everyone that would be selected after pick 15. Arlo is an exciting half-forward with a good pair of hands and smooth movement through packs and into space. His kicking is crafty and smooth, he reminds me of a sort of Will Day but with a skillset more in line with a half-forward in that he is a skilled but skinny player. Where Day has better run and long-distance kicking, Draper is a better contested ball winner and does those nice little bullet kicks that pin-point a target. he gets his fair share of knocks, but he puts his body on the line and has plenty of room to grow into his body and fill out some muscle. The highlight package is honestly dreadful, I have no clue why they didn't include more of his game against North Adelaide where he pushed up the ground and distributed the ball well into the forward line or his games in the reserves the weeks after returning from injury. He keeps his head, is poised, and adapts to game styles and systems seamlessly. There are obviously big questions about his build and his ball-winning ability, but at 21 he is a massive steal that we should not hesitate to grab.
Yes, you are right, another few picks in the 20s would be handy, as you said probably sliders first, then those that we had identified as realistically being available. I am sure people can think of 5+ players that are worthy our 2 picks in the 20s.

Let's not kid ourselves, Horne-Francis is exactly the TYPE of player we are desperate for.

A big, fast clearance bull who kicks goals.

I don't see any other of this TYPE in the top 30.

I like Ward but he's small
I like Hobbs but he's slowish
I like Erasmus but is he fast enough?
I like Milera but is he another HBF
I like Sinn but can he play midfield?

:rolleyes::think::straining:

Let's not kid ourselves, Horne-Francis is exactly the TYPE of player we are desperate for.

JHF and Callaghan. We really need them both, but so do about 14 other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know this reference.

You're living in the past, maaaaan! You're hung up on some pick that's gooooone, maaan! ;)

I think we need to stop pining for Bozo....I mean JHF...for our own mental health 🤣

We've struggled to be bad enough to get a nibble in the top couple of picks, 15th and 14th placed finishes is as bad as it has got for us at this point leaving us just short.

I'm not sure Erasmus moves as well as people think. Unless he is asking for beers. Here he is asking for one beer:
1635035801747.png

and here he is asking for two.
1635035832621.png

A bit of Bont in this. Intercept marking midfielder who doesn't look fast but covers the ground well. Also looks very balanced.
He’s also almost a year younger than daicos. Another year of development and he maybe gains a yard, more size/power etc and could have been rated higher.

Also agree with previous comments on Draper. If Draper, Chesser or Knevitt are there at 21 I expect us to grab them.

It's hard to tell from video...with Finn he doesn't quite seem as natural as a footballer as Erasmus or Sinn with his decision making. Seems to have to think on his feet a bit rather than being instinctive. Is he a bloke that *s around with it too much? Stuffs the flow of play up a bit?

Didn't appreciate Erasmus is a bottom ager he is going to be a pretty dominant unit in time. Don't think his speed is an issue if you watch the highlights he burns a few off at times. I can see him being a reliable one on one player in the F50 from game 1 and then being a big powerful mid in time.

NWM am nowhere near as taken by him as others. No way is he a pick 5. Nice player but not a game breaker like others.

Sinns highlights are excellent. He could be another Isaac Smith on the wing. We will be a quick side if he comes in.

I’ve only had limited viewing of Draper live. He struck me as someone who’ll transition to AFL easily. Does everything well, high level athlete. Kick is strong and accurate.

Another Whitecross/Shiels type of player. Does everything well, super reliable, but probably won’t win too many games of their own boot.

Type of player (along with Chesser) that I hope slides and we target at 21. Just add class to the overall team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Erasmus has a lot of similarities to Archie Perkins IMO
Probably start as a half forward with a push into the midfield after a few seasons
He has a bit of Erasmataz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back