Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Pick 59,65 and 81. What exactly could those late picks get us? Here’s hoping there’s a hidden gem somewhere out there.

2010 ND: Puopolo (pick 66)
2013 ND: Sicily (Pick 56)
2015 ND: Hardwick (pick 44)
2017 ND: Moore (pick 67)
2019 ND: Koschitzke (pick 52)

Talk about getting value for money. :D
How much are those picks gonna come down after Pies and Dogs picks get eaten up?

Okay a week out and i have finally settled on... like any of 5-6 players. I don't even think i have any preferences

Finn, Sinn, Hobbs, Ward, Erasmus and Andrew i would all be very happy with. Maybe a slight slight leaning toward Ward now which is the first time i have felt that way. I am so excited about this draft, a lot more than i was last years funnily enough.

Warming to Johnson
Gotta be honest he is probably the one we have been linked to that I want least

So we will 100% take him and he will be the best of all the options leaving me happily looking stupid again.

Warming to Johnson
He seems to have an incredible amount of upside tbh. Only downside in terms of what we currently need from what I can tell is that he doesn't currently exhibit a heap of x-factor. I'm really hoping we can trade back into the first short after our first to nab him.
If our haul ends up as
Ward/Callaghan, Johnson/Sinn, Clark
I'd be STOKED.

He seems to have an incredible amount of upside tbh. Only downside in terms of what we currently need from what I can tell is that he doesn't currently exhibit a heap of x-factor. I'm really hoping we can trade back into the first short after our first to nab him.
If our haul ends up as
Ward/Callaghan, Johnson/Sinn, Clark
I'd be STOKED.
He exhibits very good athleticism and class. I like a lot!

Most of you will absolutely hate this because my order is completely different to most on here. I'm prepared to take a punt with our first pick and draft based on upside so my talent order based on players who are actually available is:

1. Callaghan
2. Johnson
3. Andrew
4. Rachelle
5. Ward
6. Sinn
7. Erasmus

Hawthorn have shown they can draft good players from absolutely anywhere in the draft and even outside of it (Bramble, Newcombe etc.). We need superstars!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta be honest he is probably the one we have been linked to that I want least

So we will 100% take him and he will be the best of all the options leaving me happily looking stupid again.

The only thing getting me down on him was his pretty poor transition to WAFL level. Against other kids and in the reserves he has a very attractive game.

The f
Most of you will absolutely hate this because my order is completely different to most on here. I'm prepared to take a punt with our first pick and draft based on upside so my talent order based on players who are actually available is:

1. Callaghan
2. Johnson
3. Andrew
4. Rachelle
5. Ward
6. Sinn
7. Erasmus

Hawthorn have shown they can draft good players from absolutely anywhere in the draft and even outside of it (Bramble, Newcombe etc.). We need superstars!
Strong list I like it.

The only thing getting me down on him was his pretty poor transition to WAFL level. Against other kids and in the reserves he has a very attractive game.

Yeh I think subiaco played him to early in the league team, they didn't need to rush him in especially being such a strong team already. It does show how highly he is rated though considering Erasmus didn't even get a run for reserves.

I think it took him a while to get going after that league run but when he did he was near on bog for the Wa vs Sa games he played, looked good in the academy game and had some seriously good form for subiaco reserves late . Watching him I didn't think he was that athletic but his combine results are pretty impressive for someone his size. I like him and he seems very hawthorn with his kicking skills and high upside. Unless there is a slider in Andrew or rachele I really think we will be picking from Johnson or ward.

Okay a week out and i have finally settled on... like any of 5-6 players. I don't even think i have any preferences

Finn, Sinn, Hobbs, Ward, Erasmus and Andrew i would all be very happy with. Maybe a slight slight leaning toward Ward now which is the first time i have felt that way. I am so excited about this draft, a lot more than i was last years funnily enough.

Just not sure why we would use such a high pick on Andrew. Not that he isn't worthy of that pick, but how much what he brings would benefit us.

As a ruck/forward we have young rucks in Reeves and Max, with Max also being seen as a ruck/forward. As a key forward we have Kosi who looks the goods, Lewis who is showing signs and Jekka and Callow.

If he was being drafted to be a gorilla defender, then I would buy into that, as DGB is probably more likely to be as Leaver is to May at the Dees and Hartigan is aging.

Otherwise think it makes more sense for us to focus on an area where we have a clear gap, such as in the midfield (inside and out) or for small-to-medium forwards.

Just not sure why we would use such a high pick on Andrew. Not that he isn't worthy of that pick, but how much what he brings would benefit us.

As a ruck/forward we have young rucks in Reeves and Max, with Max also being seen as a ruck/forward. As a key forward we have Kosi who looks the goods, Lewis who is showing signs and Jekka and Callow.

If he was being drafted to be a gorilla defender, then I would buy into that, as DGB is probably more likely to be as Leaver is to May at the Dees and Hartigan is aging.

Otherwise think it makes more sense for us to focus on an area where we have a clear gap, such as in the midfield (inside and out) or for small-to-medium forwards.

I genuinely believe Andrew will be the tallest full time midfielder in AFL history in about 3-4 years time.

If the Club rate Andrew, I'm all for it, skill and marketing. Not taking him because we have talls would e like not taking the Budster cos we had Everitt Hay Holland and Barker (OK i concede they were older than our current bunch)

He looks like he can kick well under pressure (but creates space so fast ...what pressure?)...first box ticked

But I admit I am wowed with the potential not bread and butter issues. I think the list can give some of our youngsters some time. If we could also get a Jordan Lewis type later, all well and good.

Also look at last two intakes
Mids: 2020:phillips, Mitchell, Downie, Saunders,Newcomb. 2019: Day Maginness, Morris
Others: 2020: DGB, Brockman, Callow. 2019 Frost, Jeka, Hartigan

(Ignoring those who didnt stay long) Theres plent of young mids, although we are all agreed quality is key too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back