Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Impressive kid !Where is he predicted to go in the draft?If he has Bradley Hill traits I don’t think he will last to our later picks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He is projected as a second-half ND or potentially even Rookie pick. I think he goes ND because he has AFL traits i.e., the speed/endurance mix. I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone takes a punt from the mid-second round, maybe one of the sides with lots of picks in that range. Similar to how we took Seamus last year, he doesn't have a solid block of performances, just a couple of good games and just flashes or quality in games atm. So he is definitely a project player but has a high ceiling. Evidently a good kid too.

^

At this stage because one is going to be pushed out to 26/27.
Perhaps. He also mentioned that we will have plans regarding future picks and our later picks.

I really really want Sheldrick. I think he is being criminally underrated. Embarrassed Horne-Francis and Matty Roberts and is just an absolute beast of a man child. Focussing on what he can do and not what he can't, this kid will be a freak.

see 2:29:15 secs

Last edited:
I really really want Sheldrick. I think he is being criminally underrated. Embarrassed Horne-Francis and Matty Roberts and is just an absolute beast of a man child. Focussing on what he can do and not what he can't, this kid will be a freak.

What am I looking for? The grubber kick, the tackle or the intercept/goal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good move.
I'd love to see more.
Ask and thou shall receive... The kid is just an animal. Pick 24 pls.

Time stamps

45:35 --- Nice tackle

54:47 --- 2 x clearances. Great play this one

106:26 --- Goal

107:07 --- Goal

Sheldrick on Horne-Francis

Ask and thou shall receive... The kid is just an animal. Pick 24 pls.

Time stamps

45:35 --- Nice tackle

54:47 --- 2 x clearances. Great play this one

106:26 --- Goal

107:07 --- Goal

Sheldrick on Horne-Francis

Sheldrick was being compared to Dusty Martin in the WAFL Colts GF if you want to watch that game, again running hard into f50 and kicking goals with a couple of fend offs, i have him as a 2nd/3rd rounder only because he plays like a state leaguer, but i got to give him props he performs in the big games and is impressive, has the mentals to be successful potentially.

Sheldrick was being compared to Dusty Martin in the WAFL Colts GF if you want to watch that game, again running hard into f50 and kicking goals with a couple of fend offs, i have him as a 2nd/3rd rounder only because he plays like a state leaguer, but i got to give him props he performs in the big games and is impressive, has the mentals to be successful potentially.

I think he was battling injury in this game also. I reckon your rating is spot on.
I am a big fan of what he can do first and foremost. With the athlete obsession in AFL circles these days, sometimes you can just overlook who is bloody good at football and you can see in those games, he has a burst that won't make him a liability at AFL level and he just knows how to get the footy or hurt you if you have it. I would take this bloke over a Howes, who is an athlete first and foremost but hasn't had the production or impact on games.

I honestly think this bloke will surprise in a few years time and be one of the ones where you think, how did he drop that low. Anyway, time will tell.

I would be stoked with him @24 personally.

I think he was battling injury in this game also. I reckon your rating is spot on.
I am a big fan of what he can do first and foremost. With the athlete obsession in AFL circles these days, sometimes you can just overlook who is bloody good at football and you can see in those games, he has a burst that won't make him a liability at AFL level and he just knows how to get the footy or hurt you if you have it. I would take this bloke over a Howes, who is an athlete first and foremost but hasn't had the production or impact on games.

I honestly think this bloke will surprise in a few years time and be one of the ones where you think, how did he drop that low. Anyway, time will tell.

and he is a Hawks supporter, which is a bonus.

Dittmar was one who impressed me that day.

Agree with chopflop and davo on Sheldrick.
He does some good things, but moves like he belongs at the level.
If he could improve his conditioning/fitness he could become a player.

Agree with chopflop and davo on Sheldrick.
He does some good things, but moves like he belongs at the level.
If he could improve his conditioning/fitness he could become a player.
Fitness will be the issue. Ran just over 7mins for 2km at the combine. If he strips the fat back -currently 88kgs- and puts on some lean muscle, gets that time down to 630 and weight to mid 80s... 💪💪💪

He doesn't look like he'd bring anything we don't already have on the list.

Jai Newcombe V.2.0

his kicking in contests can be average but in front of goal he is pretty accurate and in space he is good, he can be deceptively quick at times, but is probably averaged pace most of the time, he was a level above his opponents and team mates alike when he played, some other draft watchers had him in their top 20s when he was fit and playing, they dropped him because he got injured and didnt play, some dropped him out of their lists entirely, although injuries can ruin careers so its understandable.
Could Ned Long (MID/fwd) be the ultimate Utility? At 195cm, 92kg and good overhead, one would think he could play KPB or KPF, And with his running capacity he would not be out of place on a wing (lacks speed but so does Phillips). If the Hawks had injuries with a number of players who play in a particular position, I’d think Long could capably fill it. He fits the bill for Mitchell’s point of difference. If not starting he would be the perfect injury sub.

I’d also love to see the Hawks start a game with Reeves (210) Nash (197), Long (195) and Newcombe (186) in the middle. Not necessarily to win the stoppage, but to monster the opposition and not loose it. That would be fun.

Paul Curtis in the VIC Metro vs Vic Country Challenge match

I rewatched the game and took note of his involvements.

He started out very scratching but got better as the game went on. Most of his best work was done as a lead up fwd.

22:20: Fumble, 24:10: mark and goal, 33:00 fumble , 33:15 fumble, 34:30: mark and grubber kick, 47:45: OK pressure, 50:10: lead up mark and nice kick, 1:21:45: tackle, 1:34:15: mark on a lead and goal from an angle. 1:36:45 hb receive and goal… bit lucky, 1:41:35: great half volley. 1:47:00 lead up mark and point. 1:48:35: lead up mark, good short pass.

I may have missed a few involvements.

Davo-27 in this game Curtis‘ crumbing was ordinary. Do you think it was the slippery surface (quite a few were affected, though not the better players), the occasion, the wrong stops, bad luck, or is crumbing a part of his game he needs to improve?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back