Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the premise of Hawthorn building out from the backline has any truth to it either.

Their picks from 2-3 drafts all came on as hoped - Buddy, Roughhead, Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall. They supplemented later that with other drafted/rookied talent - Smith, Breust etc.

They filled positional needs like ruck and defensive spots via trade or FA - Frawley, Spangher, McKay, Hale, Gibson, Lake etc.

I'd say if anything they left the backline to last and basically piecemealed it.
They were referring to current Hawthorn. Grainger-Barras, Day, Bramble, trading for Scrimshaw, Hartigan, Frost, etc.

Hun says:

No.1 pick Horne-Francis will play Round 1 next year – if fit -– as “a generational midfielder”. On night two, the Kangaroos added variety with composed mid Josh Goater (a lifelong North Melbourne fan), forward Paul Curtis, versatile flanker Miller Bergman and father-son defender Jackson Archer.

Glenn McFarlane verdict: Strap yourselves in, Kangaroos fans, this is going to be some sort of ride. In a decade or so, we might look back on this draft as a key moment in the club’s quest for that elusive fifth flag.

Can Lynch go onto the rookie list without nominating for the National draft? I noticed that he hasn't nominated.

The scenes when we name Polec with pick 1 and then with our second name Lynch who forgot to go into the draft.

if Bergman plays like Fahey that is worth a shot

to me Goater, I’ll say it, looks a classic jumping jack half back
that is your 3rd tall for the moment
Can’t see him getting a. Mid gig for 2 years

perhaps Cunners, if chemo knocks him around as it will, let’s try the old resting forward routine
sort of like a mini Plugger

Just the 2 open list spots remaining now of any kind?

Or do they both have to be rookie spots?
2 rookie spots left.

Currently have 37 primary and 3 rookies. Adding the two takes us to 37-5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 rookie spots left.

Currently have 37 primary and 3 rookies. Adding the two takes us to 37-5.

So if we do have pick 1 free for an open draft rookie, what's left? Dean or Avery would suit, Ned Long IIRC was passed up. Were there any other surprises last night?

Yep it be jed taking his spot or going with more mediums who are equally as mobile

Paul Curtis will be a future player in that spot

Yep can see Jed playing as a small too and i actually really like that, however Mahony will be playing round 1.

Played 19 games last year, and was the youngest in his draft class. 29 games before the age of 20. That sort of development doesnt get thrown out the door too easily.

Needs to hit the scoreboard way more, thats a given.

Had JHF 1st in my rankings, Goater 3rd, Curtis 19th.

Excited at what Bergman and Archer might become with the right attitude and development.

What a bloody draft.
Cheers Souup.

Your calls are great and your explanations of why you make those calls are very informative. Makes these draft threads, informative and very good reading.

Thanks heaps.

Also I second everyone who has said you should have a gig in clubland (if you don't already have one.)

This I just goss but I did read Bazzo father?, apologies if wrong, passed and moving from WA not on
That is what I understood to have happened.

No club is going to do that to the kid, not even at the urging of people on BF.

Time for people to drop the whole 'should have drafted Bazzo' and recognise that our recruiters are not campaigners like them.

He has been in the past.
I'm not sure he still is.
He was pretty ordinary last year.
I really hope we pay him out.
He could still be a very good player. If he is fit and plays his role he could be a lock on the wing for most of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back