Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our first pick swap got us curtis

Im saying our second pick swap that got us Bergman was not worth it

How can you possibly make this claim? How much of Bergman have you watched at junior level? We have the midfield pretty much there, a versatile half back who can use it well off both feet is exactly what we need. He’s obviously a bit of a project player. Just don’t understand your reasoning.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How can you possibly make this claim? How much of Bergman have you watched at junior level? We have the midfield pretty much there, a versatile half back who can use it well off both feet is exactly what we need. He’s obviously a bit of a project player. Just don’t understand your reasoning.
It seems tZ now has his new whipping boy.

Only highlights of Bergman but I’ve seen Draper play and we could have got him plus kept our future 3rd

we didn’t take a slider and fair chance bergman would have been at our pick that we traded up from anyway

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Only highlights of Bergman but I’ve seen Draper play and we could have got him plus kept our future 3rd

we didn’t take a slider and fair chance bergman would have been at our pick that we traded up from anyway

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You really are a miserable bastard aren't you?

On the greatest day of these kids' lives you are all over them like a pit bull on a poodle. Attacking them and belittling them before they have even pulled a boot on for the club.

Attacking Mahoney not enough for you now? Have to go after 17 year olds to prove your worth?

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
HAVE to take 1-2 tall defenders next year unless we're going to move someone like comben to defense which I personally hate. Puts a lot of pressure on McGuiness to cover an injured Mckay, Corr or walker l. Sure we can play 2 talls but we really have almost no one tall to back them up. Big hole IMO in our list. Probably comes from delisting/trading 1-3 mid sized defenders in 2022. I know there's some up for contract.

You really are a miserable bastard aren't you?

On the greatest day of these kids' lives you are all over them like a pit bull on a poodle. Attacking them and belittling them before they have even pulled a boot on for the club.

Attacking Mahoney not enough for you now? Have to go after 17 year olds to prove your worth?
I think you’ll find I’ve praised each selection bar 1

And lol at the over exaggerating on your behalf all I’ve said is the second pick swap was not necessary

And West Coast got an A+. Not sure their BF board would agree!
1637884973647.png

The only structural plan I can see in any of Hawthorn's success was deciding on tall-tall with their 2004 top 5 picks.

The rest was a combination of best available, selecting particular attributes (kicking), later round drafting and canny trading.

That's with respect to their 2008-15 era.

Their current build as mentioned is moot until it does something. Their approach right until 2021 appeared as you said - poach players rated as elite junior talent in their draft year and hope it all comes together at Hawthorn.

eg - Scrimshaw, Wingard, Patton, Scully, O'Meara etc.

Not writing them off but they've done nothing yet to justify emulating them.
Yeah, Mitchell-O'Meara-Wingard-Worpel is a decent enough core to keep them in some games but will mostly be cooked by the time they have any young mids come good.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Picks (at the start of draft):
1, 20, 42, 47, 71, 75

Selections: Jason Horne-Francis (1), Josh Goater (22), Paul Curtis (35), Miller Bergman (38), Jackson Archer (59)

As expected, the Roos took Horne-Francis — one of the best Pick 1 contenders in decades, according to North recruiter Scott Clayton — with the first selection in draft. He’s powerful, courageous and aggressive at the contest, but also possesses an awesome aerobic base and class that helps him hit targets and push forward to hit the scoreboard. The Goater selection was a beauty. He’s a high-flying, speedy, agile and versatile prospect that grew up as a mad North fan — and now Goater looms as a big fan favourite at AFL level. Curtis and Bergman provide great list depth for the Roos, who then used their final pick to select father-son prospect Jackson Archer — the son of club legend Glenn Archer who shows great composure across half-back.

Grade: B+
I read that fox draft ranking thing and the grades are a farce.

Not that it matters really. The real test will come over the next decade.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep let’s not watch any highlights and just blindly agree

You are making comments on stuff you genuinely have NFI about TZ. Our recruiters will have watched far more then a 1 minute highlight clip of Bergman, as well as far more of Arlo Draper then you.

An elite user off Back flank is a big need for us & Bergman is one of the best at it in the draft class.

A "slider" slides & a "bolter" bolts, for a reason.

You are making comments on stuff you genuinely have NFI about TZ. Our recruiters will have watched far more then a 1 minute highlight clip of Bergman, as well as far more of Arlo Draper then you.

An elite user off Back flank is a big need for us & Bergman is one of the best at it in the draft class.

A "slider" slides & a "bolter" bolts, for a reason.
This might surprise you but the club doesn’t always make the right decision regardless of how much extra footage they have seen

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tho this year's draft was always going to throw up options late. Its a very good crop by the looks of things.
A few out of nowhere names went early which Led to guys like draper (who people at least knew the name and rated) to fall super far down the line.

Back