Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

HELLSBELLS

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Jason, Edwards, Curtis, Goater, CCJ, Greenwood and Archer is a terrific haul and we have managed to hold onto our pick 1 next year.

Harvey next year, plus our first pick on the Harris Andres Clone.

And I’m quite bullish about the new sponsorship we picked up, some forensic accountants, Miles Bergman & associates.

Cunners back healthy, Thomas to sign a long term Contract and Perez to get on the park are all that counts next year, I can see us being more than a handful and spending enormous amounts of games where the opposition simply cannot touch the ball - whether that translates to wins or not is basically irrelevant.

We’ll be good by 2023, we have crossed the talent divide.

Twice in a row I've agreed with you.

I need a lay down.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So will Will Walker keep training with the boys?
We don't have a place for him now.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What the club says: "We went into the draft knowing it was a draft that had some versatility in it. We've addressed the midfield over the last four to five years with some really elite talent, and we bring in another elite midfielder in Jason Horne-Francis. From there, we really addressed some needs we had to fill long-term. We were able to bring in a couple of guys who are able to play in the backline as rebound defenders, but they've got the versatility to also play in the midfield or wing position down the track. Jackson Archer comes in as more of a shut-down defender on the smalls and mediums. To bring in Paul Curtis as a small forward with some x-factor, he should really complement what we've already got down there in the forward line." – list manager Glenn Luff

Verdict: The Kangaroos knew what they were getting with pick No.1, snaring a player who couldn't have done much more this year in Jason Horne-Francis. The South Australian will add a genuine difference-maker to the side's forward half for the next decade. Josh Goater joined his boyhood side at pick No.22 and is viewed as a 190cm rebounding option across half-back who can take the game on with his athleticism. The Kangaroos traded their way up throughout the 30s and snared Paul Curtis, a 183cm forward with good goal nous, as well as rebounding defender Miller Bergman. The club's final selection was used to grab Jackson Archer, the son of Shinboner of the Century and North Melbourne legend Glenn. - Riley Beveridge

afl.com.au

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So will Will Walker keep training with the boys?
We don't have a place for him now.
I think you'd have to list him as a train on player for him to be able to train with us.
Reckon he'll be relegated to the VFL program now.

1637890208895.png

The long game
In the short term, few players drafted — even at the top end — will likely have an impact on the 2022 AFL season. With most of the players being just 19 years old next season, most will take a few years before their talent shines through.

Patience is required in determining which clubs did well at the draft, and which clubs failed to identify the right talent. Even players who get out to fast starts in their new careers can end up fading out.

But a club that drafts well can set up their future. One good draft class can catapult a good team to a premiership-winning one, which is why every club takes the draft seriously.

So, who won the draft?

Get back to us in 2026.

Last edited:

Smoocher

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2013
Sporting capital of the world
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Magpies
Only highlights of Bergman but I’ve seen Draper play and we could have got him plus kept our future 3rd

we didn’t take a slider and fair chance bergman would have been at our pick that we traded up from anyway

The Bergman pick has the smell of reaching for Will Walker with our 2nd round pick.

No one would have picked him and we wasted trading up for a player that was never going to be picked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Bergman pick has the smell of reaching for Will Walker with our 2nd round pick.

No one would have picked him and we wasted trading up for a player that was never going to be picked.

There is always risk when trading up, unless it’s the next pick. Pretty easy to say in hindsight it’s a waste. You win some, you lose and I thought moving up for Curtis was a win.

For all we know another club might have been sniffing around Bergman and he was the kid we wanted. Literally everyone on this forum has NFI what happens on draft night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not sure how you can say he was never going to be picked. In that interview he did with Dwayne Russell, which was pre-draft, Dwayno mentioned that on multiple boards he'd seen that Bergman was likely to go mid-30s. Us taking him with pick 38 doesn't seem like much of a reach at all.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Guarantee we get into the second round again next year. The club will be super active with future pick swaps again.
I think Edwards will be upgraded for certain next year from the rookie list.
Our 1st pick + Boomer jnr+ Edwards would be the minimum required by the AFL.
I see us being more active in the trade period next year than the draft.

hoffseason gains

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Edwards will be upgraded for certain next year from the rookie list.
Our 1st pick + Boomer jnr+ Edwards would be the minimum required by the AFL.
I see us being more active in the trade period next year than the draft.
I could also see us trading out our 2023 first round pick to get into the first round next year and either secure two big key position players, as it will have high value to other teams if we finish in the bottom 4 next year but not as much to us because we’d want to be in finals by 2023 or at least pushing for it.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If for any reason Dean gets through today we could always have a go in the MSD. He will get taken today though.

Im actually more inclined to go down the path of trying to bring in a 20-24 year old Key defender next year. Extremely hard to find considering these tight constraints, but i think drafting an 18 year old will mean significant time to develop, as we saw with Mckay.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If for any reason Dean gets through today we could always have a go in the MSD. He will get taken today though.

Im actually more inclined to go down the path of trying to bring in a 20-24 year old Key defender next year. Extremely hard to find considering these tight constraints, but i think drafting an 18 year old will mean significant time to develop, as we saw with Mckay.
Yeah I can imagine carlton have a look at the last 2-3 key defenders left.

Back